Author Topic: Custer Hair at Little Big Horn  (Read 13567 times)

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Custer Hair at Little Big Horn
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
So don't I feel silly.  Same issue of Wild West I just referenced says in a different article the Custer had cropped his hair short, and also in contrast to artistic rendering, there were no sabres in use by the 7th Cav that day.

History really is a lie agreed upon.   ;)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »
So don't I feel silly.  Same issue of Wild West I just referenced says in a different article the Custer had cropped his hair short, and also in contrast to artistic rendering, there were no sabres in use by the 7th Cav that day.

Story says there was one with the pack train, was usefull when there were rattlesnakes around camp.  Don't know if it is really true, but read it somewhere, does make sense.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Wild Billy Potts

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »

By the middle of the Civil War swords of many types were starting to be thought of as near useless incumbrances. When they could get away with it, many cavalry troops kept the saber on the saddle, as they usually fought on foot when they fought, and the saber was totally useless at rifle/carbine range.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:56:04 PM »

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »
the saber was totally useless at rifle/carbine range.

Then according to military logic, they should have been issued much longer sabres.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
Interesting comments, all, thanks for sharing.
Got to thinking and remembered seeing a coffee table art book many years ago about Old West paintings, maybe one about Remington's work, not sure. One of the more controversial pieces of art, if I recall it all correctly, was one showing a Tipi and a campfire outside with a little Indian child looking inside the Tipi. The painting had a 'flap' on it so the viewer could lift it and see what was actually going on inside the Tipi, in this case it was Custer in a compromising position with an Indian woman. I don't recall who the artist was but think it was done for use in a saloon. Perhaps this is part of the legend commented on in an earlier post and someone will recall the painting and artist.
The Teeman story is quite interesting as well, it almost reads like a concept sketch that was used for the plot line in the movie 'Little Big Man', a stretch but then Hollywood tends to do that.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Wild Billy Potts

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
Then according to military logic, they should have been issued much longer sabres.

Ain't that the truth. ;D

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
Anyone that served in the military (in the field, anyway) and has been around horses know that there are two indisputable facts. One, long hair is hard to keep clean and horses attract fleas, ticks and lice.

Custer was an experienced Cavalry campaigner and knew that he would either be cutting his hair before it became infested or afterwards.  So, at the time of the battle, Custer, who had no intention of dying that day, had what we would call today a buzz cut. As the buzz cut didn’t make for a good scalp, his was not taken. To think that a man of his ego would cut his hair so that his scalp would not be taken is pretty silly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com