Author Topic: Serial Number Assistance, If possible  (Read 768 times)

Offline nagloc68

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Serial Number Assistance, If possible
« on: July 01, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »
Hi SSS members - Any assistance and information is greatly appreciated on the following I am researching:
Spencer model 1860 Carbine #15340. 

Thank you and have a great Independence Day! 

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Serial Number Assistance, If possible
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:21:56 PM »
I don't see a direct match, but it falls within a range of carbines associated with Co. L, 2nd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry--there's a carbine about a dozen numbers below it and another a dozen numbers above it that are reported to be with that unit in 1864.

Others may have more input.  And be sure to take into consideration Two Flints' disclaimer about serial numbers that are "close" to yours.

Photos?

--DJ

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
Thanks DJ ;D

The SRS books only show serial #15327 & #15352 as being issued to Company L, 2nd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry in 1864 (no day or month listed).  Your Spencer Carbine, serial #15340 falls between the two serial #s shown above, so MAYBE your Spencer Carbine was issued to the same unit . . . as DJ suggested please read my Spencer Serial # Disclaimer on the home page of SSS.

Do you plan to join my SSS Forum?  You will need to send me an Email stating you want to join . . . my Email address is fsgrand2@fairpoint.net.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:20:46 PM »

Offline nagloc68

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 07:02:49 AM »
Thank you so much for your time researching this.  Don’t worry, I read and understand the disclaimer!  To get any information is amazing. Most of my collecting is focused on Australian guns, and as you may guess this includes many Lee Enfields. We have almost zero information on who/where a rifle was issued. However, we do know a lot about the manufacturing, assembly, and repair. So this is good. 

I don’t have photos. The carbine is at an auction. Some other sites I subscribe too have rules against actively reviewing live auctions. I could post the auction photos if this is allowed.

Offline nagloc68

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 01:51:12 PM »
OK, here are some photos - moderators - please delete if in violation.  It took me a while to resize the photos so hopefully they come across clear.  One thing I noticed was the manufacturer markings appear over stamped, which was confirmed by the seller.  Do you know why/how this could have occurred?  Any insight would be appreciated.   Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com