Author Topic: Armi Sport Spencer in 45 Schofield questioning  (Read 666 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Armi Sport Spencer in 45 Schofield questioning
« on: April 03, 2022, 05:50:42 PM »
Any special problems with Armi Sport Spencers in 45 Schofield? That caliber does not seem to be produced anymore.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Armi Sport Spencer in 45 Schofield questioning
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 03:40:00 AM »
I bought a carbine via "Zeughaus HEGE" in Germany shortly after they first came on the market.
Turned out the chamber of my gun was reamed at a slight angle to the bore, which resulted in excessive leading in front of the chamber.  Had a local gunsmith lengthen the forcing cone to the extent that I can now single-load .45 Colt cartridges.  The barrel was also lapped.  This took care of the leading problem.
Other fixes by me included de-burring and honing the action in various places.
It now runs "slicker than an eel in a bucket of snort".

The .45 Schofield Spencer will hold 8 rounds in the magazine.
It also has the twin extractors.  I have seen recommendations to remove one of the extractors (can't remember if it was the right or left one) but I've kept both of mine with no ill effect.

After a few years the front of the trigger-plate was worn to the extent that the whole block-assembly would rotate out of the receiver.  Had my local gunsmith re-weld the front of the trigger-plate and shape it more closely to the groove on top of the block.  No problems since.

My guess is that the .45 Schofield chambering was dropped due to the un-availability of factory ammo.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 12:04:29 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Cap’n Redneck— i admire your dedication to get that Spencer working. I feel blessed that my two Armi Sports have not have those problem.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:24:31 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com