Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Thanksgiving
« on: November 08, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
This “stupid old fool” is awaiting an invite from my brother. One of my brothers traditions, shoot guns after lunch. This Stupid Old Fool has many historical prices. I have arms from 1850s to 1890s. My preference, transition, 2x guns carried/used in Civil War, converted & used past civil war.
Screw it, my siblings, & offsprings will be shooting a Sharps & Springfield 50/70 Conversions!
Think about it, shooting a firearm used during Civil War!
Brian

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
I don't know what Thanksgiving is going to bring for my family this year. Wife and kids are talking about skipping the Fam gathering at my brother's this year.  :-\

I was really looking forward to it this year as it marks 400 years my family has been on this continent.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
Hi

I'm supposed to be heading to Downstate Chicago to see my old neighbors where I grew up.  I have no clue if they'll be open anymore or not.  My neighbor's Mom is 92.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:38:09 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »
We're planning a "virtual" family get together. Going to all sit down to eat at the same time and Zoom.
In our immediate household of five, each member has picked a dish to prepare and contribute.
In years past we would usually have 20-23 people and bought the largest turkey we could find.

This year I was excited to find a small 10 lb. turkey to fix.
It will still be a great holiday.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »
No turkey this year.    My wife, her caregiver and I will be eating Lamb. apt oven too small for normal sjzed bird.  leg o lamb will fit.
600 sq foot apt, and no family within 150 miles.
Have fun Y'all and happy holiday.   Remember 11-11.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
Ahhhh, Turkey.  I used to hate it before my family started doing Thanksgiving with the Neighbors.  We'd have turkey for Thanksgiving, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and maybe Tuesday.  Now I get Turkey once a year and that's it, and I'm good with that.  Last year they smoked a ham, which was much much better.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 01:32:45 PM »
Pitspitr, sounds like your family arrived here with some of mine, didn't happen to sign a Compact did they? Like most we've moved west some since their arrival, or at least some of us have. My brother and sister, and many, many cousins, still live in and around Massachusetts and Rhode Island, while I've settled here in the Ohio country. Plan on celebrating with he wife's side of the family, my brother-in-law and I used to go hunting early in the morning in the old days, nowadays we mostly help out lifting and carving turkeys (and getting in the way  ;D). Definitely won't be near what we hoped to celebrate 400 years.  :(

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
Our Thanksgiving will be quite different this year. We accepted an offer on our home today, and the people have to be in by Dec 7. So packing like mad for the final move to Arkansas 350 miles away.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:41:22 PM »
There have always been rumors part of our family came on the Anne or Little James.   I was the black sheep of the family for expressing my young opinion of how weird the puritans were and how they were not tolerant of other denominations.   Then tossed in the origin of the word rooster and uptight thinking that led to it replacing cock.   I did not get too graphic in my lecture, I was only 13 and had led a children's table the year before, but I was ushered outside by my father and told to keep my mouth shut if I wanted any pumpkin pie.  I kept quite and looked quite the happy pilgrim.   

Not sure what will happen with our day.  Still planning a small gathering.   

I read that small turkeys will be rare this year as people are buying them up.   In college, we knew people and would periodically load turkeys destined for lunch meat.   It paid $50 for a days work and you all got a bird as those tame creatures will die of sudden stress, like being grabbed and thrown in a cage.   5 guys all living together, $250 for beer and 5 turkeys that dressed out at ~24 lbs.   Thank God the science department did not watch the dry ice too closely, we kept them frozen in coolers and a whole lot of dry ice.   you want to talk tired of turkey, eat turkey for 6 weeks straight.  But oh the cold beer!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 06:25:10 PM »
Rita, Lexie, Riley and me, niece and nephew work for corrections and that is a real danger zone, SIL and BIL are high risk also.   So us, and we decided they can have their rib-eye that I refuse to eat and I may buy me a real piece of meat that ain't half fat or a duck, leaning toward the duck and save the grease and make real kolatch.

May be going to Oklahoma the second weekend in Dec, got a ride if I do, area has almost nothing and it's a museum day.  Norton said I could help him cook if I want, never been a helper before or I could just sit and tell stories because even if he's getting better at it he says I'm the master. ;D  Not sure if that's good, he's the buddy that got us Riley last year.   

Will not tell my mom and daughters, just not, heard about voting the other day, so I told Rita if they stop by she don't have to lie either, told Lexie the same thing, they both think I need to go if I deem it fairly safe.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 07:05:46 PM »

May be going to Oklahoma the second weekend in Dec, got a ride if I do, area has almost nothing and it's a museum day.
Hi Del
If you show up in the Land of Okies, text me or email me and maybe I could stop by.  Where are you doing a museum deal?  There are quite a few around here. 
Later
Mike
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 11:35:57 PM »
Yeah, the one in Norwood.   Not sure yet but thinking hard about it, I haven't been out since mid Sept of last year and things were going downhill fast.  Would just need me and spare clothes, my gear is right where the kids put it when they unloaded it, ended up asking for help loading and unloading my last trip.   Ended up lying to myself and everyone else about being OK.   

If you are some place and some older person looks like this don't believe them they are OK.   All the times I've jumped on people about not being OK and made them rest, hydrate and all that and I pulled this shit, I took a protonix for the "acid reflux" and drank some iced tea and rested a bit and went back at it.   Showed this to my cardiologist and he had a hissy fit and gave me a good lecture.   He said it could have been an actual mild one that didn't do any damage and should have been loaded on a chopper and sent to Lincoln.    Not all chest pains are acid reflux and acid reflux don't go up into the neck.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »
Hi Del
OK, I need a better description cause Tre Norwood was injured last year and is one of OU's better defensive players, so searching on Norwood Oklahoma got more than three pages of Tre.  Great player, not a museum though.  There may or may not be a Norwood OK, over by McAlester and Fort Gibson.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »
I don't know what Thanksgiving is going to bring for my family this year. Wife and kids are talking about skipping the Fam gathering at my brother's this year.  :-\

I was really looking forward to it this year as it marks 400 years my family has been on this continent.

Wow on the Mayflower were they?  Family lore is that one of wifes ancestors was also on the mayflower.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 03:15:57 PM »
Pitspitr, sounds like your family arrived here with some of mine, didn't happen to sign a Compact did they?
3 of them did  ;D
Oral history of my moms family always said that their ancestors had ridden "the boat" Turns out my Dad's side did too.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
Mine waited till 1631 to see if the others would make it.  John Carman. we're all probably related. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 05:17:46 PM »
Hi Del
OK, I need a better description cause Tre Norwood was injured last year and is one of OU's better defensive players, so searching on Norwood Oklahoma got more than three pages of Tre.  Great player, not a museum though.  There may or may not be a Norwood OK, over by McAlester and Fort Gibson.
Later

Try Woodward, LOL still having trouble with my short term memory.   

Was funny was on a Lincoln history group the other day and was telling them about going to the Grand opening of the first McD's in Lincoln in Late 59 and the clown popping the balloon trying to get it in the back window of a 50 Chevy 2 door.  I was 3 and the windows didn't go all the way down.   Even funnier last I looked the Chevy is still in the ravine Dad put it in in about 63.   It was on a Sat Picture. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
John Ragland
18 Mar.  1709 From Wales to England to Virginia

John is first mentioned in the public records of Virginia in a 1711 list of property owners for St. Paul's parish [at that time in New Kent County, but after 1720 in Hanover County] as a "freeholder of 200 acres." This property, located on the northern side of Chichahominy Swamp and adjoining the property of his brother Stephen, was, undoubtedly, part of the tract of land granted to his grandfather, Stephen Pettus in 1667. In 1745 John purchased 1,030 acres on both sides of North Fork of Mechamos Creek, and there, according to family tradition, built a large house which he called Ripping Hall.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »
Delmonico, I retired after 26 years in Corrections, y'all be safe. Remember the Menard Correctional Center Golden Rule: "Do it to them before they can do it to you"
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0