Author Topic: PICKING THE RIGHT WOOD FOR YOUR CAMP FIRE  (Read 903 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
PICKING THE RIGHT WOOD FOR YOUR CAMP FIRE
« on: December 13, 2020, 02:24:21 AM »
PICKING THE RIGHT WOOD FOR YOUR CAMP FIRE
Do you know how to choose the best fuel for your fire?

I was recently at an event and saw guys step over good deadfall woods like cedar and oak to gather up armloads of resinous, spitting pine instead. They spent the evening choking on smoke and complaining how it followed them around the firepit stinging their eyes. Their tin was blacker than a lawyer's hat and even if they had a good cook amongst them, the resin would undo any good flavor he could put in the pot or pan. When I got up in the pre-dawn, to stoke my coals and start the day, I looked over and saw a group of cold, tired men trying to re-light some fresh sticks with matches and balled-up typing paper. It was forgivable if they were all new to this, but I had a sinking feeling that they weren't... (read full article)

https://www.frontieramericanillustratednews.com/post/picking-the-right-wood-for-your-camp-fire

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: PICKING THE RIGHT WOOD FOR YOUR CAMP FIRE
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
I like deadfall oak and maple, personally.  Hedge (Osage Orange) burns hot and relatively smokeless if you can get it to burn.  Unfortunately, a lot of times it comes down to what you can find.

You're right, Dave, when there's a choice people tend to make some poor choices.  Wish I'd have paid more attention to my Dad.  I grew up with a wood burning furnace, and he knew an awful lot about how to make a proper fire.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
Well said pard. This has really traveled on social media. Although a lot of this is old hand from other industries, I am really learning a lot about it being my own operation. Things have really changed and it is a strange balance between the old ways and translating them to modern web designs, SEO and social media trends. Still, it's now how we can keep the old ways alive.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:47:09 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com