Author Topic: 2013 Plainsmen Encampment and Buffalo Shoot  (Read 33452 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: 2013 Plainsmen Encampment and Buffalo Shoot
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
Texas sounds good. Its more than just the job situation. Texans and I agree on more things than the Left-coast and I do.  ;)

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
LawDog:  I was born in Pampa, raised in River Road and Amarillo.  You can still see out dinky little house when you drive up 287 from Amarillo to Dumas just past Cherry Lane.  This mornings weather said 19 inches.
Dave: I welcome anyone to Texas as long as they dont think like most of those Hollywood SO....
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
I've 2 college friends that drove to the Amarillo VA Hosp. on Sun for appts on Mon. I got a call yesterday from one of them, he said they were snowed in and could not make their appts because the hospital was closed because of the snow.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:06:50 AM »

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »
   Who's coming?
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
Wish I could make it, but as I mentioned when we were debating dates last fall, spring is out for me this year. Hope all goes well.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Trap, I am still recuperating from the Convention. I would have liked to have attended the shindig.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
I am really jealous. I want to go but I am buried in marketing projects until summertime. I'll be in Orlando in June. I have plans to be at the Gettysburg 150th events. Then I'll be in Denver in September. After that, I'll be in Capetown visiting my mother in law. I am trying to coordinate schedules with my work/travel agenda but I have been pretty pinned down lately.

-Dave 

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »
Dave and Trap:
I am pretty doubtful about getting to KS since it is Easter weekend.   Getting a bit of push back from Household 6.  Dave when you are in Orlando you might hook up with Major 2 and shoot an NCOWS match while you are out there.  Capetown--that is darn sure a long airplane ride.
Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
Still planning on coming, got enough paper cartridges rolled, and enough Trapdoor rounds loaded.  Just please let it warm up some!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »

This morning we have 8" of snow on the ground! I am not sure we will be able to get in without tearing up the ground. So, I believe the better part of valor is to cancel the shoot now and not keep people hanging until the last moment. Sorry, maybe we can reschedule later.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Windy City Joe

• If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
Well, guess I'll put the new rifle and pistol back in the gun safe.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this news but it is one of the biggest hurdles for an organization that is just starting out. The problem is that we are scattered all over the place. The solution is to reach out to those within driving distance and form a "mess" with them for events.

Instead of getting too bummed out about this. I think there is an opportunity here for us to change our approach. Here is my suggested course of growing our little outfit.

All of us should work on finding 2-4 good pards that we enjoy heading out on a weekend with every 1-4 months just for a little camping and shooting (period or not depending on the circumstances).
When one mess decides on a good place/time to "host" a period shoot, post the event information onto the site with pictures about 6 mos to a year ahead of time.
Turnout will always be a handful of guys but it is a good start to solidify friendships an keep your field experience honed.
Also, we should focus on the bigger meets and set up a campsite affiliated with our group. Members can either camp with us or at least make use of the social circle around our camp fire.
We can start using this platform to reach out to new recruits. I have already resolved to bring additional "loaner" gear to any event that I'll be attending. This way, we take the pressure of getting everything at once off new members.

I look forward to hearing additional feedback on this.

-Dave

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
Sounds like a great idea to me, Dave!

Jake

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »
Thanks Jake, I'm putting together an excel file on it. I really think that the small Pard-events are great to build up group cohesion. The best way for all the groups to meet up would be at the big national meets.

More to come...

-Dave

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
I've been shooting muzzle loading guns all my life...I'd like to know what time period we're depicting here...what's the PC dates?

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 01:19:05 AM »
Hi Gabriel,

Our focus is primarily the western great plains during the expansionist period. This namely covers from the 1830s to 1865. Although this means that we show tolerance for the comparably advanced weaponry of the Civil War era, my suggestion would be something more commonplace like a plains rifle or other common hunting gun carried by civilians in transit across the American West.

One of my favorite sources for the look and gear of the era comes from an  1856 edition of Ballou's Illustrated Newspaper.

-Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com