Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1180667 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #2520 on: May 08, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »
Drinking Scotch is an aquired taste.  I still like Bushmills better.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2521 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
My way ah thinkin’, why would anyone wanna werk ta drink er eat sumthin’ whut tastes like that? Knew the first time it passed my lips I didn’t want it. Far is I’m concerned the stuff don’t exist.

The few I’m acquainted with tell me the stuff is ole Scotland. Hell, none of ‘em never been ta Scotland ‘n if ya put ‘em onna ship they couldn’t find it. Used peat ta fuel the fires ta cook it. Ashes gettin’ in it gave it the raunchy flavor. These days fake stuff is added to it ta make it taste that bad.

Kindah a meat ‘n ‘taters type with vegetables tossed in. Them havin’ a want fer stuff like Scotch, warm, bitter ‘n dark beer kin go fer it. Ain’t gonna be in their way.

Be akin ta sittin’ inna bar listenin’ ta Cash moan. Sumbody wants ta fine by me. I ain’t gonna do it.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2522 on: May 08, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »
Arcey, I'm sittin' here thinkin' what a boring world this would be if we all liked the same thing and thought the same way.  Don't ever change my friend, that's one of the reasons I like you and would love to sit and share a cup of coffee with you, the kind you like for you of course. ;)

"Course that goes for any of us in our little group. ;D  Have shared a few cups of coffee with TLD, and as I 'member Slim had some orange peko tea, if that's what someone would prefer I'll put that kind in the gear if I can find it.

We might poke fun at each other now and then, but so what, makes life interestin'.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #2523 on: Today at 10:41:18 AM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2523 on: May 08, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
Nice sentiments Del.

Had a friend that used ta drink Johnny Walker.  Think he did it ta impress folks.  Never did as far as I know.  Switched ta Meyers rum a while later.  Heard single malt was a whole differnt ballgame than the regular blended stuff, never bothered ta try fer the money they want fer it.  I'll have a beer please, but not til I'm done with ma Folgers.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2524 on: May 08, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
Tried Scotch (several different brands) on several different occassions.

Purty much tasted like bitter ashes til I tried one called McCallan, it wasn't bad at all.
Asked my friend what it was and how much.... $80 ah fifth!
Too rich fer my blood an' not that good.

I'll stick to Bushmills when I have a taste.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2525 on: May 08, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »
We all liked the same thing business would adapt. Ain’t no tellin’ whut concoctions folks come up with years ago whut ain’t readily available taday, No one prepares it cuz no one wants it.

The chicory stuff in coffee. Lou, rest the ole bull-headed fart, ran the kitty when I went to the bureau. All he’d make cuz we got it fer nothin’. As the folks whut lived thru WW II, God bless ‘em, who learned ta live with it got old ‘n moved on, the new guard, like me, wouldn’t drink it. When I earned a squad ‘n an office, I brought my own maker ‘n coffee in. Then others did. The coffee kitty went belly up. Had folks come in askin’ fer a cup. I left then came back. When I did someone else was runnin’ the thing with Folger’s. Had ta pay for it ‘n he ran a surplus ‘n used ta pay for our Christmas goodies. 

Saddens me I can’t get hard licorice or horehound drops it the grocery. But ain’t ‘nuff folks want ‘em ta make ‘em profitable no more. The market is narrow.

Splittin’ a pot’d be mighty fine. Be interestin’ talkin’. But I ain’t takin’ responsibility fer any damaged stereo equipment should Cash stuff come on.

Ain’t gonna change, I’m old ‘n as bull headed as Lou was.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2526 on: May 08, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »
Arcey, I'd not play Cash, just for you if we even had one on, bet both of us would be better with out it as to hearin', we'd just have to yell over it anyway. ;D

BTW don't tell the new guy cause I wouldn't want to hurt his feelin's but if it played anything by Big and Rich 'cept that 8th of November song I'd put a 500 grainer through it. ;D  Get far more than my share of it my 10 hours a week in the work dept, Rita lets me turn it down in her car. Got so mad at it at work one day (no customers at the time) I said very loud that if their tour bus went over a bridge and into a river I hoped they could save the driver.  Sorry Willy. ;)

Arcey I think in a lot of ways were a lot alike, different but alike.

BTW, don't ask me why, but back in the day, most often in the summer I got a hankerin' for some decent gin, in a glass with just a couple good big cubes.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2527 on: May 08, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »
Never unnerstood gin er the folks who drank it.  It's pert near gone in these parts, replaced by vodka in all the drinks that called fer the stuff.  Since the passing of ma gramma several years ago, I can't count one person I know that drinks it.

Far as shootin radios goes, I used ta real riled up when that Boot Scoot Boogie would come on at work.  The list goes on, but that one sticks out in ma head.  Any of them nasaly SOB's can go off the bridge.  Course I aint countin Hank the Senior.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2528 on: May 08, 2009, 05:35:38 PM »
Course I aint countin Hank the Senior.

Ya better had removed yer hat when you mentioned "Hank the Father."   ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2529 on: May 08, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »
Still got it in hand Del.

He and some of the other originals pulled off that sound, the new guys do somethin ta my blood pressure when I hear em.  Reminds me why I like rock'n'roll.  Another trend that gets me is how all the girl country singers gotta do a female empowerment song now a days.  Patsy Cline went walkin after midnight when she got done wrong, she didn't smash some guy's pick up with a Slugger er tear up the upholstry.  She didn't do a whole number bout guys that don't impress 'er.  So on an so on.  Seems that classy has been replaced with sassy.  Enjoy yer girls night out ladies, jus don't spect me not ta change the station when yer givin the details.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2530 on: May 08, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »
Del, I'm sure he did. Leo, You need to take your hat off when you mention Patsy Cline.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2531 on: May 08, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »
Del, I'm sure he did. Leo, You need to take your hat off when you mention Patsy Cline.

Good idea pard, plus:

Johnny Horton
Jimmie Rodgers
Lefty Frizzell
Doug Kersaw
 and a whole bunch a others. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2532 on: May 08, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
We might otta add Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, and Ernest Tubb to that list.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2533 on: May 08, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
We might otta add Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, and Ernest Tubb to that list.

"Amen brother preach it."  Sorry, an ex girlfreind went to a church like that, I got carried away here. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2534 on: May 08, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
Can I get an AMEN! Brothers and Sisters!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2535 on: May 08, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Can I get an AMEN! Brothers and Sisters!

Yep, don't 'member anymore what the church flavor was but they did have a guy came once in a while that played and up-right pedal steel. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2536 on: May 08, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
After mentionin Hank an Patsy, I won't put ma hat back on fer a week.

I remove it fer No Show Jones as well.  He carried on the tradition when everyone else was tryin ta modernize the sound.  

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2537 on: May 08, 2009, 06:28:26 PM »
After mentionin Hank an Patsy, I won't put ma hat back on fer a week.

I remove it fer No Show Jones as well.  He carried on the tradition when everyone else was tryin ta modernize the sound.  

Hope it will be a while 'fore I remove it for the possum, he ain't dead yet. ;)

Found this, saw the hands on the upright and removed my hat for Don Helms, got to see him and Jerry rivers together along with a couple other guys one time, was billin' themselves as the Driftin' Cowboys, Jerry and Don had the right to in my mind:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2538 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »
S'ok ta remove yer lid fer someone still livin, jus' not somethin I make a habbit of.  Kinda like a thing I heard a ways back, "Why does everyone give someone flowers after they're dead, they prolly would a liked ta get em when they were alive?"

Good Hank video, lots of good shots in there.

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2539 on: May 08, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
Hank was taken from us way too soon.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com