Author Topic: .45colt Marlin carbine will not completely chamber .45 Schofield brass?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Hey guys, I shortened my wife’s .45colt Marlin carbine into a Trapper a while back. Love the gun and how handy it is. In order to get the obligatory 10 cartridges in the mag I reload Schofield brass but I initially noted how hard it was to completely close the lever. Btw Schofield brass runs fine in my .45colt Cowboy Limited. I figured out that the case rim was a hair too big so I chucked them into my mini mill and filed them until they fit my 45colt checker gauge. I’ve lost enough that I need 40 more to make 100 so I was wondering about using my mini mill as a lathe. This is what I came up with. Seems to work. I used a piece of lathe tool stock that was in my dad’s machinist tool box, he never was a machinist so I have no idea where it came from. I put the stock in my table vice, lightly chuck the Starline brass in and slowly lower it. Cutting it from a .519/.520 to a .511/.512.
Loaded some and they work fine in my Trapper.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
This usually means the extractor has not been cut with enough clearance for the wider S&W rim.  A few minutes with a file fixed mine.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Tronicst1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Wouldn't it be easier to cut 45 Colt brass down to 45 Schofield length and then use 45 Schofield load data.

Advertising

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125

:) Hey There Biltmore ;)

You didn't mention what barrel length you went to, but when I built Trappers with 16 and a Quarter inch barrels, I set the guns up to run Cowboy 45 Special cases.  A Marlin with the modified carrier will run C45S slick as snot onna doorknob  :D

People be Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Do you know how to modify the lifter Roger? I have a spare if I haven’t wrecked it. Can you send or post a photo? My barrel on the trapper is 16.5 inches. Thx, Ed
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

I've been retired some years now and don't have any of my old pictures or drawings.  If however, you're really interested, I'd suggest posting a "how to" question over on the SASS wire.  Several folks over there are bound to have the information.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

:)  Biltmore  ;)

Checked around and contacted one of the Guru of the Marlin.  There are excellent pictures and procedures for the carrier modifications to C45S on "Marauder's" website under "Widdermatic."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com