Author Topic: Uberti Cattleman Problem  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Shadowgrass

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Cattleman Problem
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »
I got my Cattleman about a month ago and got the reloading equipment for it.   I have a problem with some of my loads or possibly the gun itself.  I am not sure which.  I am having some rounds hang on the frame as they rotate in the cylinder toward the top (firing pin) position.  On the frame (cylinder side) is it not level all the way around.  Is this by design to compress the rounds as they approach firing position, or is this poor machining? Either way it is a problem since some of my cartridges hang there.  I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I am assuming it is not correct. I use Starline brass, so it is not cheap. All I know is that it hangs real bad sometimes.  All my loads are well within spec and the ones I am having a problem with seem to have a rim that is about .003" thicker than the ones that do not.  I have a hard time believing that the specs would be that tight.  Anyway, some insight from fellow shooters would be helpful.  Thank you!

Here is a pic of the inside of the face of the frame where there is an obvious difference in machining near the firing pin.  Is everyone's like this?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Uberti Cattleman Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Take the back of the round that is hanging up and coat it with magic marker, put it in the cylinder and rotate it all the way around. At least you will know what part of the round is causing the hangup. Another thing ya can try is take yer cylinder out of the gun and drop the problem round into it push firmly on the back of the round, then tip the cylinder up and the round should fall out. If it does not chances are the bullet may be oversized and is hangin up on the throat of the cylinder.  Does not take much ta cause a round ta hang up in a revolver. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Also, where are the hangups happening? Is it the last 2 rounds as the fired cases revolve back towards the raised part of the breech? Check the fired primers to see if they have backed out of the primer pockets. And check the rounds after each shot to make sure that the remaining bullets are not jumping forward due to insuffecient crimp and jamming the cylinder there. Obviously be carefull and don't stick your head in front of the muzzle when doing this ;) Just carefully visually check if the bullets have stayed in place after recoil.

cal44walker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:44:34 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
Howdy Shadowgrass.  A few things.  I'm not sure from your description of the problem whether it occurs when shooting the gun or just by loading it with your ammo.  If it is when shooting, it could be what has been mentioned.  If the loads are light the primer can back out.  Easy to spot and there would be drag marks on the primers.  If the problem occurs without firing the gun, I'd ask if the cylinder will rotate with empty brass in it?  If so, then the gun is okay and the problem is with your reloads.  If it hangs with empty brass and only some pieces then I'd be contacting Starline.  And to answer your question, yes that area of tighter headspace leading up to the firing pin is normal.  Good luck.

Gen. Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
[ ... ] On the frame (cylinder side) is it not level all the way around.  Is this by design to compress the rounds as they approach firing position, or is this poor machining? Either way it is a problem since some of my cartridges hang there.  [ ... ]

The ridge you are describing and showing in the photo is perfectly normal. It acts as a "ramp" to bring the cartridge into the correct head spacing - from the front of the recoil plate to the back of the cartridge. No, it is not poor machining, but rather the lack of custom fitting these guns. If they did so, the gun would cost twice as much because of the manual labor involved.

This ridge can indeed be annoying and be part of the problem. I can assure you that cases can get snagged here. Been there... done that. Personally I use a very fine diamond stone to file down this abrupt and rather sharp ridge. Doing so creates a very smooth transition for the cartridge to enter into battery and prevent hangups. They slide into the ramp like butter slides across glass.

Another problem area for hangups occurs where the loading gate meets the recoil plate upon closure. I bevel the loading gate along the edge to create a more rounded and smooth surface.

I never get hangups in my SAA revolvers. My life may depend on it. I can honestly say that my revolvers are finely tuned and customized machines.

I do not advocate that you do the aforementioned to your firearm unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are doing. Perhaps a gunsmith familar with the SAA can assist you.

Here are some other things that I do with these guns -

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,45969.msg569380.html#msg569380

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com