Author Topic: Cattleman Bolt Spring  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cattleman Bolt Spring
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get just the coil spring for the bolt & trigger for my Uberti Cattleman?  Thanks
Also, who installs springs on the firings pins on the Howell converson cylinders.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Cattleman Bolt Spring
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
Coil spring?  Are you sure you don't mean wire spring.  Try Brownell's.

Offline Frizzen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
Yep, Sorry, I meant wire spring. I checked them and you have to buy the whole spring kit to get it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:47:47 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
You can get them from Midway and Brownells.  Only problem is the postage will be more than the spring.  Here's one.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6875/Product/SINGLE_ACTION_TRIGGER_BOLT_SPRING

Also check under Wolff from Brownells or Midway.  You can also order directly from Wolff.

Offline Ranger Lee Hitch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
You might try Wild West Mercantile
Gary
"Damn, That's a lot of injuns" George A. Custer

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
Howdy

I have never heard of anybody installing springs on the firing pins of a Howell type (R&D) conversion cylinder. I have two of them and don't see the need. Don't even see where it would be easy to install any.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »

The R & D conversion cylinders do not have firing pin return springs.  They are intended by design to "float" in the breach plate.  There actually isn't room in the breach plate for springs under the firing pins.  If the firing pins are "sticking" you may want to check the back of the firing pin to see if they are starting to "mushroom" which will cause sticking.  The firing pin, if mushrooming will have to be dressed down or replaced.

Trigger bolt springs can be had as posted above.  I don't particularly like wire trigger bolt springs.  An alternative for a lighter trigger bolt spring is a Pietta trigger bolt spring.  Available from VTI Gunparts.

Coffinmaker

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »
I know many people like wire bolt springs!

Many very knowledgeable gunsmiths consider them a safety hazard. See Jerry Kuhnhausens single action colt book. Jerry says almost every blown up SAA that he has exahmined had wire springs in them.
You really want the bolt to lock up tight. With a light bolt spring and the speed that Cowboy Shooters cycle the action the likelyhood that the bolt can bounce and cylinder will throw by is high. You can get a very nice action with a standard bolt spring, lightened main spring and  smoothed and deburred frame and internal parts.

In my shop we will not work on or return a gun with a wire spring in it. We have made this disission because we don't want the liability when the gun throws by and things go very badly.

Just my two cents. Of course it's your right to do as you please.

Raven
AKA Jay Strite
Kirst Konverter LLC

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
I think that when people want wire bolt springs it is because they have heard that they will never break.  And the stock Uberti bolt springs do have a tendency to break, sometimes quickly. (I don't know if Pietta springs hold up better than Uberti or not).  But the aftermarket flat springs that are made in this country by several makers are much better than the Italian springs and  will give good service without worrying about breaking. 

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Abilene,

I agree!

One thing that will help both the Uberti and the Pietta Bolt/Trigger springs is to remove the "flash" that is left on them from the manufacturing process and give them a slight polish so that the Cross wise grinding sometimes done to them will not cause stess fractures.

Raven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com