Author Topic: Just a Thought  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just a Thought
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
I was exploring the SSS posts and am amazed at the information and products available to the Spencer shooter today. I was thinking back to 1981 when I bought my well used but serviceable M1865 and the thought of firing it was more of a dream than reality. From modern made rifles to factory ammo, centerfire replacement breech blocks and new 56-50 brass. The wealth of Spencer information on the internet and easy access to it is astounding. I was thinking how lucky the new Spencer shooter is today. Upon looking back at all the trial and error and filing each old ballon head 50-70 case down to fit, I thought, the new guys are going to miss all that. You've come far pilgrim.   JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Just a Thought
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:55:55 AM »
When I converted mine to centerfire in the mid 70s I made a compleet centerfire block with the firing pin going on a angle to the center of the block ,I yoused cut down No 1 carbine brass and a custom mould desighned of a Winchester 56-52 bullet,I sold the rifle in the late 80s to a friend who still shoots it but now with shortened Starline 56-50 brass so he can still use the reloding gear that I made up

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
I was exploring the SSS posts and am amazed at the information and products available to the Spencer shooter today. I was thinking back to 1981 when I bought my well used but serviceable M1865 and the thought of firing it was more of a dream than reality. From modern made rifles to factory ammo, centerfire replacement breech blocks and new 56-50 brass. The wealth of Spencer information on the internet and easy access to it is astounding. I was thinking how lucky the new Spencer shooter is today. Upon looking back at all the trial and error and filing each old ballon head 50-70 case down to fit, I thought, the new guys are going to miss all that. You've come far pilgrim.   JW

Although I don't own a replica Spencer, there are a bunch of choices in cartridges that were never available years ago.

Yes, we've come far...but can you still skin griz, Pilgrim?    ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:56:58 AM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
This has to be the Golden Age of black powder cartridge firearms.When I first started collecting/shooting there was no information to speak of outside of maybe what you could glean from old reloading manuals such as the Ideal ones.You had to resort to seeking out antique shells,loading tools,and molds.No internet forums and shooters to converse with were few and far between.Many old rifles in obsolete calibers were cheap because no shells were available or anything you could make them out of.I remember buying a pretty nice M1886 Winchester in .45-90 for $325.Wish I had it back.Now the availability of guns and ammunition and reloading stuff is about as good as it was in the period these guns were in use.To even imagine I could buy a new made Spencer and the makins' for shooting it was unimaginable back then.I filled that long held want,a shootable Spencer with the purchase of a new one.Now to find time to cast some bullets and load some shells.When's somebody to put out a book-The Shootable Spencer. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com