Author Topic: Winchesterbarrels.com  (Read 3568 times)

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 16689
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Winchesterbarrels.com
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
Has anyone on this forum used "winchesterbarrels.com" to re-barrel replica or old winchesters?   

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Winchesterbarrels.com
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 10:12:08 PM »
I believe Dusty Texian has. He will be along shortly.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »
Has anyone on this forum used "winchesterbarrels.com" to re-barrel replica or old winchesters?
                                               I have had Winchesterbarrels.com build me a few barrels . They were very easy to deal with and most important , the barrels were very good quality and shoot real good . ,,,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:54:54 AM »

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 04:20:37 PM »
Thanks!

Offline LargoKC4440

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 08:10:27 PM »
 ordered one in 40/60 this week.Just waiten now.
                                                                                 Largo

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »
ordered one in 40/60 this week.Just waiten now.
                                                                                 Largo
What is the projected wait time?

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 05:58:25 AM »
Them o'l Winchesters are like " sleeping beauty's ", just waiting for a handsome prince to kiss'm back to life .
  Hey Largo , is yours the same one you picked up awhile back at winter range ?

We'll be watching ( pic. police of course ), you 2 " prince's " bring them back to life .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 06:59:21 PM »
In my original post I did not mention that i sent a Uberti 1876 50-95 to them on 11/4/20.  I still do not have my rifle and miscellaneous parts back. I have corresponded numerous times and had a few phone conversations. Maybe a ray of hope though.  They contacted me last week to send additional funds for shipping, which I knew would be needed.

The Uberti barrel was an absolute POS. In fact the entire rifle had numerous problems, something i have never experience with Uberti. So I had WB provide a proper sized bore and a faster twist. I am anxious to get this wrapped up.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 11:27:51 AM »
If I recall correctly, original m1876 .50-95s were 1-60. Uberti uses 1-48.  My Uberti is not a tack driver, but it shoots pretty well.

What do you consider a proper twist?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 08:11:10 AM »
I have one of their 1873 Carbine barrels.. It’s very nice and was easy to install.. I did not have any headspace issues and the threads indexed into my receiver pretty well.

It shoots nice

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:36 AM »
In my original post I did not mention that i sent a Uberti 1876 50-95 to them on 11/4/20.  I still do not have my rifle and miscellaneous parts back. I have corresponded numerous times and had a few phone conversations. Maybe a ray of hope though.  They contacted me last week to send additional funds for shipping, which I knew would be needed.

The Uberti barrel was an absolute POS. In fact the entire rifle had numerous problems, something i have never experience with Uberti. So I had WB provide a proper sized bore and a faster twist. I am anxious to get this wrapped up.

I have a Uberti 45-75 that won't shoot worth a hoot either and blame the barrel. It won't shoot anywhere near as good as my original 45-75 that has a decent but not perfect looking bore. I only shoot black powder so I don't know if the modern rifling is the problem or what. The original Winchester rifling "looks" deeper even with 150 years of age and use but not sure if it really is.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline LargoKC4440

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 11:32:08 AM »
Slamfire.I should be getting the barrel to me anytime now.They told me it would be a .408 bore.I did get a 403168 mold off EBay.I never heard anything about trimming 40/65 down to 40/60.I don't know how to dowmload pictures so I haven't put any up.
                                                                                                                                                                           Largo

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »
Does anyone know if these folks also sell Marlin barrels, and if not, who does?  I have a 1889 Marlin in need of a new barrel.

Offline LargoKC4440

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 05:21:18 PM »
Just went to they're site & they do make Marlin barrels
                                                                         Largo

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 11:03:28 PM »
 LargoKC ,  sent you a PM.

Hootmix.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 12:50:23 AM »
I have a Uberti 45-75 that won't shoot worth a hoot either and blame the barrel. It won't shoot anywhere near as good as my original 45-75 that has a decent but not perfect looking bore. I only shoot black powder so I don't know if the modern rifling is the problem or what. The original Winchester rifling "looks" deeper even with 150 years of age and use but not sure if it really is.

Cliff ----thats bad - my Uberti 45/75 is good - shoots better than I can hold it - tends to walk up the target as it warms but I will get that sorted one day - on a good day we can get inside two inches at 100yards - havent cracked the MOA yet but came close a couple times with three shot groups. I dont like "Deep" rifling - dont like chicken scratch rifling either - but I say that Uberti/Pedersoli barrel is equal to the best I have owned. All my lever guns will shoot a good target with blackpowder and lead boolits any time I can do my bit.   

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »
SiringoMN  that is a very long wait .  In the past from order to delivery was about 4 to 6 months at least it was in my experience with them . Was any reason ever given for the delay ? Best of luck and hope your project turns out as  well as you hoped .,,,,DT

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 10:17:27 AM »
If I recall correctly, original m1876 .50-95s were 1-60. Uberti uses 1-48.  My Uberti is not a tack driver, but it shoots pretty well.

What do you consider a proper twist?
1/60 was the original twist paired with a 300 grain bullet. But remember these are express cartridges (50-95) and not known for accuracy. Uberti used a 1/48 twist. I can with reasonable certainty say that the barrel I HAVE appears to be more 50 caliber muzzleloader bore diameter/twist/groove than anything else. A friend of mine has a 50-95 and his bore is different. My conversations with Uberti went nowhere as it "meets their specifications". I can push down a .490 ball and  0.020 patch just like a muzzleloader.

My bore has lots of tearing from the rifling process. Very very poor and not what i an used to from Uberti. I have lots of time invested getting this thing to shoot (i would be happy with 2" groups at 50 yards). The main issue is the bore diameter is 0.517 inches. My friends is 0.515 inches and like mirror. But it is an older make. I have molds that cast a .517 bullet (350 grains). However, when that bullet is seated in the CH4D die, it gets reduced in diameter to 0.512 if you are using reformed brass (another long story). I ended up used 50-70 seating dies to prevent the neck resizing that occurs with the CH4d dies.

Getting to your question in twist. When contacting WB, two twists were offered. A fast one that i cant recall and 1/32. I chose the 1/32 as it will allow me to to shoot bullets up to 400 grains. The bore size will be .512.

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »
SiringoMN  that is a very long wait .  In the past from order to delivery was about 4 to 6 months at least it was in my experience with them . Was any reason ever given for the delay ? Best of luck and hope your project turns out as  well as you hoped .,,,,DT
Back at the end of January I was told the barrel was profiled, chambered and threaded. Only needed dovetails cut. I got the same answer ever time I contacted them. Then the messaging changed. I had sent other parts down to be blued in December. But thinking this was going to slow the whole process back more I asked them to send the parts back. That was March. No parts sent.  So here we are end of May.

I have kept a detailed record of e-mails and phone calls. My last conversation is "your barrel has been ready for some time". What???????  Then why wasn't I  informed to send the shipping amount in?  Unfortunately, this does not involve just purchasing a barrel. They have my rifle - I think. I have $3,000 invested in the rifle, barrel, dies, brass, molds, specialty tools. Its turned into a deep dark hole.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 11:16:13 AM »
1/60 was the original twist paired with a 300 grain bullet. But remember these are express cartridges (50-95) and not known for accuracy. Uberti used a 1/48 twist. I can with reasonable certainty say that the barrel I HAVE appears to be more 50 caliber muzzleloader bore diameter/twist/groove than anything else. A friend of mine has a 50-95 and his bore is different. My conversations with Uberti went nowhere as it "meets their specifications". I can push down a .490 ball and  0.020 patch just like a muzzleloader.

My bore has lots of tearing from the rifling process. Very very poor and not what i an used to from Uberti. I have lots of time invested getting this thing to shoot (i would be happy with 2" groups at 50 yards). The main issue is the bore diameter is 0.517 inches. My friends is 0.515 inches and like mirror. But it is an older make. I have molds that cast a .517 bullet (350 grains). However, when that bullet is seated in the CH4D die, it gets reduced in diameter to 0.512 if you are using reformed brass (another long story). I ended up used 50-70 seating dies to prevent the neck resizing that occurs with the CH4d dies.

Getting to your question in twist. When contacting WB, two twists were offered. A fast one that i cant recall and 1/32. I chose the 1/32 as it will allow me to to shoot bullets up to 400 grains. The bore size will be .512.

You certainly have been through the wringer on this one, really sorry to hear that.  When you say bore diameter was .517", I assume you mean the groove diameter - right?  Bore diameter is the diameter across the lands, or the hole before it is rifled.  .517" is indeed quite oversize for a groove depth.  My Uberti is .5137" groove size.  While certianly not a tackdriver, it is decent for an express cartridge. But I continue to try to improve it. 

I sure hope your new barrel works out. Keep us posted! 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com