Author Topic: 76 Firing Pin ??  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
76 Firing Pin ??
« on: January 30, 2021, 11:42:24 AM »
 QUITE !! Question  ,, when the finger lever is closed on a case ( loaded ,, or ,, not ), I have noticed at different times the FP does not always go in the same amount ,, the retractor ,( after pulling the FP back while cocking the hammer ) should return to what position when the lever is closed  ? Should the FP be " in " resting against the FP ,, or is the retractor's job to keep the FP back in the bolt & off the FP ( which is what i'v always  thought ) until the trigger is pulled ,, the question has to do w/ miss fires , (  ??? ) they always fire the second time .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: 76 Firing Pin ??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:55:18 PM »
Cant help but to add some more confusion to the chaos ;)
My Uberti has a rebounding firing pin of some sort (have not been inside far enough to say exactly) so the firing pin is held back slightly off the primer by spring pressure through almost the entire stroke - ie at any point (if you full cock it first) until almost fully open - you can push the pin forwards against the spring pressure and it will protrude out the front of the bolt --soooooo the original winchester idea is not in play at all here ?????

You have raised my curiosity level almost to the point of picking up screwdrivers ..............................

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 11:17:01 PM »
Thanks Grey ,, I think Uberti does use a 2 pcs. firing pin,, not a bad ideal really . I think the retractor " is " suppose to hold the FP back , until you pull the trigger, but it don't ( on mine ? ) always ,, reason for the question.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:39:29 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 03:03:43 AM »
Thanks Grey ,, I think Uberti does use a 2 pcs. firing pin,, not a bad ideal really . I think the retractor " is " suppose to hold the FP back , until you pull the trigger, but it don't ( on mine ? ) always ,, reason for the question.

Definitely a spring in mine someplace, the firing pin stays back but you can push it forwards, and at the end of the stroke when the rear of the firing pin is bearing on the hammer then it moves forward and the pin protrudes from the boltface

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »
I can confirm for sure the Uberti firing pin is a 2 piece setup with a spring to hold firing pin away from primer until hammer falls.  I'm using the Uberti firing pin in my project rifle.  The Uberti front section with the spring that is enclosed inside the breech bolt works good.  The Uberti rear section diameter is .354" to .355" and is a snug fit inside the hole in the original '76 action (or was in my action).  I've measured an original Winchester firing pin, and Slamfire measured his original for me and both FPs were in the .345" range.  I made a rear section at .345" and it works good.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:10:43 PM »
I can confirm for sure the Uberti firing pin is a 2 piece setup with a spring to hold firing pin away from primer until hammer falls.  I'm using the Uberti firing pin in my project rifle.  The Uberti front section with the spring that is enclosed inside the breech bolt works good.  The Uberti rear section diameter is .354" to .355" and is a snug fit inside the hole in the original '76 action (or was in my action).  I've measured an original Winchester firing pin, and Slamfire measured his original for me and both FPs were in the .345" range.  I made a rear section at .345" and it works good.

thanks
So did Uberti do away with the retractor mechanism and replace it with the skinny little pin arrangement like the early 66 repros had ? (to retain the firing pin in the bolt assambly)
My right eye socket wants to know about this!

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 02:36:50 AM »
greyhawk , Mr. Grizz Adams , posted w/ pics. " Comparing the Origional 76 with the Uberti 76 ", look up above our post. He did a GREAT job .

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »
greyhawk , Mr. Grizz Adams , posted w/ pics. " Comparing the Origional 76 with the Uberti 76 ", look up above our post. He did a GREAT job .

Thanks for the tip (and to Grizz for posting the pics)   am now de mystified !
Thought I might have had to take out the screwdrivers  - the little key thingy has a similar sized tab to the original Winchester to retain the firing pin but they cut the bottom off that tab and used the spring to retract it instead ... what had me puzzled was if the tab / retractor was  functioning as an original I shouldna been able to push the pin forwards against the spring once the lever came down and I could do that ---------  all good now - thanks again.

Offline BillKilgore

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 04:58:26 AM »
The original 76 did not have a firing pin spring. Essentially it was a free float firing pin. Here is the breech-pin piston and firing pin. The piston is resting on a small wood chip to keep it from rolling backwards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com