Author Topic: WONDERS will NEVER cease  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
WONDERS will NEVER cease
« on: August 30, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »

Wonder of all Wonders.  Or NOT.  It seems those whom make decisions for SASS shooters, have finally recognized the Ted Cash Snail capper doesn't work on Remington.  For literally YEARS those whom choose to shoot Remington, have been opening up the Nipple recess on a Remington Cap Gun cylinder so Remington shooters can use cappers.

SASS has deemed that practice is now LEGAL and within SASS guidelines.  So Show your appreciation (Stolen famous cartoon line).  Wonderousness no less.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WONDERS will NEVER cease
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
Has no one ever heard of an in-line capper? The snails are no good during a timed reload because if you get a cap turned sideways you are screwed since you cannot eject it and go to the next cap.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »
Has no one ever heard of an in-line capper? The snails are no good during a timed reload because if you get a cap turned sideways you are screwed since you cannot eject it and go to the next cap.

I got three of em that work fine - the two cheapies from Cabellas the best - a bit boring refilling em but they work. (one less theing to rattle when ya go hunting too)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:13 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:21:49 PM »

Ahummmmmm ......... Ah ...... Timed ...... Reload????  Reload a Cap Gun .... or Cap Guns ????  Where ???? When????  Not to be persnickety .... but a "Timed Reload" and Cap Gun or Guns is OXYMORON.  I have never seen or heard of that in a CAS match.  Really????

And ..... Yea ..... I've heard of an in-line capper.  Don't care for them at all.  I'm like a lot of folks that don't like In-Line cappers.  Bunches of us happen to like Snail Cappers.  Super fine alla Time.  Don't like and never cared for in-line cappers.  My shooting partner swears by em but he doesn't exhibit a lot of class anyway.

While I'm thinking about it.  There is the other consideration.  I personally think Remingtons SUCK.  Beat heck out my social finger.  Don't like em even a little bit.  And ..... thank you very much, should I need to fix or eject a recalcitrant cap, I carry a cowboy screwdriver in my gun belt.  So There   ;D

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 12:09:19 AM »
Occasionally I come across a stage where there is a "shoot 5 and reload a 6th" on the clock. For many years I have also shot in the Uno Muy Malo Hombre shoot in Renton, WA where much of the shoot has stages where you do complete "reloads" on the clock: like shoot 10 rifle, move to next position load ten more and sweep targets twice." Same for pistols only they let the Frontiersmen stage two additional pistols that are charged but uncapped at the next shooting position. The 10 shot "reload" consists of capping the charged chambers and firing the next 10 rounds as designated in the stage description. Two years ago I had 5 other shooters call me out and they all shot 4 Ruger Old Armies each. Fortunately for me they all used snail cappers. I used various in-line cappers, 2 Colt style "Navy" 44s and 2 Uberti Remington 44s. I couldn't out shoot them time wise but I could out cap them using the Colts. During the match most had caps turn sideways during capping on the clock which resulted in misses or long shooting times. One even carried THREE snail cappers. We were all on the same posse. They gave me a good run for the money but I managed to beat them all in the total time match. The following year I was the only Frontiersman in the match.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 08:21:15 AM »

Now ..... THAT ..... sounds like fun.  I could actually enjoy that.  I'd probably be acussin-n-swearin and whining the whole time ...... but grinning like a fool.  I'd also be taking my time.  A famous gunfighter once said the secret to longevity was to "Take your time very quickly."  Most folks I know, when it comes to a task on the clock, get all flusterederated and become "all thumbs" and are hilarious to watch.  I've found it's much better to focus on task and let the clock take care of itself.

Also disappointing when folks bail out of frontiersman.  I personally shoot Frontiersman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  Gobs of FUN!!!  Also of note, the only Cap Guns I dislike as much as Remington are Rugers.  I don't like Rugers one bit.  Not that I am at all opinionated  ;D   My partner and I are normally the only ones in a match shooting Frontiersman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter with SNUBBIES!!  Even more FUN  ;D

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
I'm a lefty. The caps just roll on off the right side of the pistol so I get no hand sizzlers. I did double duelist Frontiersman the other day and had a hot one to shake off and had an AD that fortunately went into the dirt but that spooked me from using my wrong hand.  For some reason unknown my match guns shed their caps except for the last one under the hammer. My hat's off to you guys pulling both pistols while whistling Dixie.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »

My prime shooting partner "Prairie Dawg" drug me down the Deep .. Dark .. Rabbit Hole.  BP.   Then, he had the unmitigated GALL to introduce me to "SNUBBIES."  Then ... he challenged me to build Cap Guns that would run as reliably as cartridge guns.  Ostensibly so "WE" could shoot Gunfighter with Cap Guns.  Never mind I have/had been shooting Gunfighter with cartridge guns for eons.  Then,  After dragging me to the Dark Side, Introducing me to Snubbies, Getting me to build uber reliable Cap Guns, the plan became for two fat old guys to shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter with Snubbie Cap Guns.  Well before Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter was recognized.  We as "Outlaws."  Rebels as it twer. 

It is truly fun for the two of us to see the jaws drop when we pull two Snubbie Cap Guns and shoot just like we had cartridges in 'em.  Gad Zooks but that is capitol FUN!!  Of course, we both shoot Henry Rifles and Hammer Doubles.  I do dat with All Brass 12Ga hulls.  If yer gonna do dit,  Doo Dit wid STYLE

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »
I'M NOT WORTHY, .......... I'M NOT WORTHY ........ I'M NOT WORTHY.......

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com