Author Topic: I bought an HRA "Original" Henry (so Coffinmaker won't have to)  (Read 12214 times)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
I promised pics, but I got too busy filming and just didn't shoot any.  But if you want some clear closeups and information about the innards, I did finally upload the video to youtube.  Rather long at over 40 minutes, you may want to skip the "show and tell" intro and start around the 11:30 minute mark.  Spoiler alert---M.I.M.

Edit to add:
Though I neglected to note it in the video, I observed that the HRA version has positive slam down.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: I bought an HRA "Original" Henry (so Coffinmaker won't have to)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:39 AM »
Well done OD#3.....You've earned a Sticky.... :)

I will comment, I received my gun in 2013....my barrel is not anywhere near the blunted flats as your example.
Mine is an early gun, upper in the first photo ( as seen when I pull the camera back )
Note: the shape edges ....
I suppose as more were assembled, they ( additional assemblers ) adopted the over polish  :-\

Clear, concise disassembly Video and with Homage to the Coffin Maker, two thumbs up  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
WOW!!  OD#3!!  Just WOW.

Great video presentation.  I just had to watch the whole thing!!  VERY well done.

I've been wanting a chance to look inside an HRA 1860 Henry.  I must admit I am disappointed by the over buffing on the barrel flats.  However, once you get past the barrel flats, the actual insides of the rifle look very nice indeed.  It's quite apparent HRA Took their cues from Uberti.  That isn't a bad thing.  I don't even see the MIM processing of the reciprocating parts as a bad thing.  Rather than an absolutely "authentic" reproduction, I look at function.  The rifle appears to function very well indeed.  I also applaud the inclusion of positive slam down in their build.  That feature is very important, especially with a .45 rifle.  It is also nice to see side plates that actually "fit" where you don't have to hammer them off and then fit them.  Nice.  It's also nice to see screws you don't need an impact driver to get out the first time.  I can certainly overlook the over buffing for the actual build quality.

Very happy to see you reduced those gawd awful OEM springs.  Way over sprung as manufactured (typical).  Gorgeous wood.  I really think I'd like to have one.  Not that I'd leave it alone.  I'd just have to mess with it.  All four of mine (Uberti) have been extensively messed with.  Just can't leave them OEM.

thanks a lot for the Vid!!

Coffinmaker

Advertising

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
Fellas, you made my day.  I had you two in mind when I started filming, and it is gratifying that you both enjoyed it and took the time to respond.  Interesting about the earlier versions having LESS buffing; I'd been under the impression that the overbuffing was something complained about on the earlier ones and since addressed--it was one of the reasons I ordered mine when I did, expecting to see less blunting of the edges.  So I was quite disappointed by the melt job HRA gave it.  Thanks for your opinion on the MIM as well.  I don't care so much about HOW the parts were produced, as I know that MIM done well can be excellent.  But I don't like the large voids.  It is a replica, so I expect them to replicate everything. 

On balance though, I'm not sorry I acquired it.  And as for their level of replication, Miroku strays much much more in the authenticity department with their 1873's, but the build quality endears them to me nonetheless.  I suppose I can forgive HRA's departures as well.  I REALLY need to get this thing to the range.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
Nice video, pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:27:03 PM »
Thanks, Silver Creek Slim.  Interestingly, my "Google-Fu" having never yielded any real info on the manufacturing process of these "Original" Henrys, the "Belle Vernon, PA" inscription on the receiver got me somewhere.  Lesleh Precision Inc. of Belle Vernon PA supposedly makes all the parts for the 1860 except the wood.  I'm still researching, but I've found numerous pics of their receivers mid-production, barrel assemblies, and cartridge elevators.  So far, I haven't found any info on MIM, but I'm still looking.  I also found numerous references to "nickel bronze", so that may be the "hardened brass" that HRC touts.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
I haven't watched this yet, but I very much need to. I've been lusting over a HRA Iron Frame in .44-40 for some time now, but even my forgiving wife would have a problem with me dropping that much on a rifle. So for now, it's a matter of biding my times and my funds.

OD#3, thank you for taking the time to make the video.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
OD#3, I appreciated this and your other videos as well.  Thanks for the effort of putting them together.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Very nice video!
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »
Hey!!  Way Cool. 

Beautiful (I've no clue really) Downtown Belle Vernon PA as about 80 miles up the super slab from where I live in Pennsyltuckey.

Wonder if I visited I could scam enough parts to assemble a rifle?? 

Coffinmaker

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
Nice Job OD#3
I wanted one really bad when they first come out .
But after a lot of reading and watching your Video .
Im very very content with my Older Navy Arms Uberti 44/40 Henry Iron frame .
Just sayin .
Rooster.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 12:45:05 AM »
Can you believe I haven't fired this yet?  I finally will this weekend, and I'll be posting a video of it as soon as I can edit and upload.  It had better shoot well, 'cause I've lavished a lot of labor and money on this thing.

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:02:12 AM »
Great video.   At $2750 retail and $2200 street price for the Henry Original steel frame, I will stick with an Uberti ($1295 street price) for their steel frame, even IF I had the money.  ::). I have an Uberti brass frame military version and an Uberti steel frame for the price of one HRA.  The Ubertis  are awesome rifles.  Who'd ever thought they would be a bargain to boot?  ;) Not putting down the HRA version, just sayin'. HRA is a beautiful rifle but ...

MJJ

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »
I did a HRA -Uberti review in another thread (also a sticky ) May 01, 2014.
now three years later and I still have all 4 Henry's ....

The oldest is a 1980 date code ( it was my 1st. Uberti Henry ) and was $385.00 shipped & FFL receive fee....
the next one was $900.00 , and the Iron Frame ( I traded a $1000 ArmiSport Spencer in 44 Schofield for )

I will reframe from telling you "what" I paid for the HRA Henry .....  :o it would shock you

There is no one person....that can tell / or convince "YOU" to the value of either or Uberti or HRA
That is your vision & decision too,  for you to make....  :)

I like them BOTH !    ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
Well, scratch the video; I was unexpectedly joined by a friend who was eager to shoot his own stuff.  So I didn't get very good video--nothing worth trying to edit and upload to Youtube, anyway.  But I have to say that it shot very well indeed.  I had backed off of the mainspring strain screw a little and found that I had to tighten it back up to get reliable ignition.  They must boresight these or something, because I was able to ring a 10 inch gong with monotonous regularity at 270 yards, once I found the proper elevation adjustment.  Windage was spot on, and that "wobbly" rear sight didn't affect things at all.  If you saw my posts on my "Iron-framed" Uberti 1860, you'll know that I had to drift my rear sight dramatically to hit something that far, and I wasn't hitting it as regularly, either. 

The overbuffing doesn't bother me anymore, now that I know it can shoot.  Perversely, the high polish is a detriment in an entirely unexpected way---I spent way too much time cleaning it.  On my '66 Uberti, I want the brass to tarnish,  But tarnished brass just wouldn't look right against the lustrous blue and gorgeous wood on the HRA.   If it is going to be overbuffed, the least I can do is preserve the high polish. So I just had to wax it and buff everything back to a high luster.  I must have spent at least an hour cleaning it today.  In spite of my misgivings about its over-polish and MIM internals on my Youtube video, it is fast becoming one of my favorite rifles. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
Given time,  The "New" will wear off.  You'll get tired of buffing it.  Something else made out of "Gottahaveieum" will come along and the Henry will get stuffed inna pack of the safe.  Unless ......... I will send you my address.  Before you just "stuff" it inna back of the safe, just send it along to me. 

I will continue to hold it, and squeeze it and call it George (purloined famous cartoon Quote).  Honest.  I will.  Really.  Just try me!!

Coffinmaker

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
Classic Coffinmaker! 

Offline dddrees

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 12:06:34 PM »
Personally I actually prefer the tarnished look on my Winchester 1866 and do hope that the Henry will acquire the same look one day.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
All of the original Henrys I've seen in museums or at gun shows/shops were tarnished and not shiny (smile).

Just sayin',
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com