Author Topic: Model 94 options?  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Model 94 options?
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:06:29 AM »
I have an old 30-30 model 94, post 64, that is in sad shape. One of the first things I want to do,  is get rid of the plastic. It needs to be reblued too.

All this got me thinking about what else might get done. What were the different options on these? Barrel length,  lever loops,  sights,  etc. If I am going to fix it up,  I might want to change it up a bit.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Model 94 options?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:23:20 PM »
I have an old 30-30 model 94, post 64, that is in sad shape. One of the first things I want to do,  is get rid of the plastic. It needs to be reblued too.

All this got me thinking about what else might get done. What were the different options on these? Barrel length,  lever loops,  sights,  etc. If I am going to fix it up,  I might want to change it up a bit.

Not many options (if any) on the standard 20 inch carbine those days
The "Winchester Antique" model came out somewhere maybe late 1960's - then a string of "commemorative" models aimed at pseudo collectors - most of those were bought by guys that thought they put em away for a few years then sell em for a nice profit - it didnt work! Winchester flooded the market and those guns are still coming up for sale cheap - a nice "centennial 66 commemmorative" on Rock Island Auctions now  - indicator price around $600 - its a 30/30 26inch octagon barrel - decent wood - near new     

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »
I tried researching mine, #4651230, and came back with unknown. According to Winchester's site, that would put it around 1908. I called  Winchester,  and they were stumped as well. The best guess was 1980's. So,  it isn't any kind of classic,  and I would be free to chop and modify without guilt.  If I had my cboice,  I'd like the 1873 model used in Last Samurai as reference.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:38:41 PM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:50 PM »
Your serial # is a 1978 per the following website search.

oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

The year of manufacture for serial number 4651230 is 1978

I just bought one in the 4159xxx serial # range and it is a 1975.  IMO these are better than the guns produced from post '64 to about 1973.  The metal was polished better to get a better surface finish and overall bluing, it is still pressed metal material not milled but....,.  I have read that any blue must be done professionally, if it is to last or take well.  I have spots and a section on the right-side that needs a little attention and some bluing, I will try superblue or oxy-blue.  The lifters on these later rifles were improved after the stamped sheet metal ones used between '65 to about '74.  I am personally going to try replacing any roll pins with a steel solid pin once I have the rifle disassembled.  Yes the butt plate is plastic but I think you can find a steel one and simple replace with some reshaping.

It took me two or more years to find a post 4000000 rifle in my area and I do like mine.  I just need a factory link pin stop screw for post '64 top eject rather than a reproduction one.
Black River Smith

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
Thank you,  that was pretty helpful. There is a fair bit of slop in the lever action,  that occasionally causes it to bind. I'll look into new pins when I do it.

The plastic I referred to,  is the stock and fore end...  It needs to go. That reminds me,  I need to call Lee's Gun parts tomorrow. He was looking for the wood furniture. He did a good job with my SKS sight.

Can I do away with the grip safety?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:16:28 AM »
Thank you,  that was pretty helpful. There is a fair bit of slop in the lever action,  that occasionally causes it to bind. I'll look into new pins when I do it.

The plastic I referred to,  is the stock and fore end...  It needs to go. That reminds me,  I need to call Lee's Gun parts tomorrow. He was looking for the wood furniture. He did a good job with my SKS sight.

Can I do away with the grip safety?

Grip safety = NO! LEAVE IT IN - Browning put that there for a reason - I just played with my 94 and minus the trigger block it would fire far enough out of battery to do serious harm - lockup on a 94 is way less positive and later in the lever cycle than a 92 or an 86 .
might be able to add a little length to the button if its worn -
a really nicely tuned 94 the lever will snap shut, release the trigger block, just a gentle couple finger tips upwards on the lever and she shoots - many of em you need to squeeze it firmly to get trigger release.   

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »
You are right about my lever,  I need to squeeze it hard most times. Thanks for the warning.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
Not having luck with a gunsmith yet.  Spoke with one,  he was ok with shortening the barrel,  loop lever,  everything but blueing it.  He said that the metals used need a special type of solution,  one he can't  get/ doesn't use.  This sound funny to anybody else?

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
Re-read my post about the bluing issue.  It is well talked about on the internet.  Search.
Black River Smith

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »
Re-read my post about the bluing issue.  It is well talked about on the internet.  Search.
I tried,  but could not find it. When I get time on the laptop,  I'll try again.

I have been looking at levers,  and have not seen one large loop that has that model 94 tab for the safety. Not to menton,  a bit of sticker shock!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com