Author Topic: all cowboys did it  (Read 10422 times)

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
all cowboys did it
« on: January 19, 2005, 01:08:18 AM »
for your money what western star did the best job mounting his horse?

IMHO it had to be Ben Johnson.
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

The Arapaho Kid

Re: all cowboys did it
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »
I always like seeing some cowboy come running up behind the horse, then valut into the saddle.  Always wondered how many times they were singing soprano when the were slightly off when they plopped into the saddle?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:32:31 PM »
According to John Ford, Ben Johnson was the best horseman in the movies.

Kid,
Gene Autry does a rear mount on Champion in "The Big Show". He made it look so easy.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:15 PM »

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 02:01:50 PM »
According to John Ford, Ben Johnson was the best horseman in the movies.

Kid,
Gene Autry does a rear mount on Champion in "The Big Show". He made it look so easy.

Slim

Here again...I wonder how many time he sang soprano while he was learnin' how to do that?  The other one I got a big kick out of was in the movie "Rustlers Rhapsody" when Tom Berenger (the hero) was teaching his side kick how to mount a horse.....from a hay loft.  That was totally hilarious!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »
Ole Trinity must put in a vote fer... himself.  He's especially good if'n there's a purty girl a-watchin'

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 09:36:29 PM »
Ole Trinity must put in a vote fer... himself.  He's especially good if'n there's a purty girl a-watchin'

Hummm...???  Are we falling off, or falling on the horse here?

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 08:31:35 AM »
I'd have to go with Yakima Canutt.  He probably did fancy mounting of more horses for more actors than anyone, especially in the early Lone Star and Republic pictures.  The mount that always got me was from a second floor balcony.  This was usually done by breaking the drop with the feet on the saddle, then spreading the legs, but still.  Horse said -- My achin' back! :o :o  Cowboy said my achin' hm'hm! ::) ::)
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 09:07:39 AM »
Hummm...???  Are we falling off, or falling on the horse here?

Oh for pete's sake  :)  Trinity don' fall off or on horses, I just caint post no video clips.  Ok, I must admit there are some fancy stunt riders out there, even better than ole Terence Hill.  But there aint that many actors that do their own stunts. 8) 8)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 09:48:37 AM »
Hey!  I'm just funnin' with ya here!  I ain't slam dunkin' ya for the way ya mount up!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 10:55:09 AM »
Ben Johnson and Yak were real cowboys that happened to get into the movies as stuntmen.  Both of the were Champion Rodeo Cowboys.  Ben was a personal friend of mine that I met at a Celebrity Rodeo in Ft Worth that I was working security at.  He was a true gentlman and a Cowboys' Cowboy.  He was a pretty fair actor (Academy Award for "last Picture Show"
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 11:49:01 AM »
Hey!  I'm just funnin' with ya here!  I ain't slam dunkin' ya for the way ya mount up!

No 'ffence ever taken, Kid.  I just appreciate the excuse to watch my favorite movies again to mine out a couple pictures.  ;D ;D ;D  Aint technology great??

I'm also enjoying reading these other names so that I can look fer their movies.  I've heard of Ben Johnson, but don't think I've ever seen one of his films.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 12:14:22 PM »

No 'ffence ever taken, Kid.  I just appreciate the excuse to watch my favorite movies again to mine out a couple pictures.  ;D ;D ;D  Aint technology great??

I'm also enjoying reading these other names so that I can look fer their movies.  I've heard of Ben Johnson, but don't think I've ever seen one of his films.

Well....you don't even wanna know how I mount up!  My ol' bones and joints ain't like they useta be and there is an occasional step stool involved!  Once aboard...I'm ok, but getting there can be sometimes a little difficult!

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 12:28:38 PM »
Trinity, I bet you have seen a Ben Johnson movie, here are just a few: Red Dawn, She wore a yellow ribbon, The Wild Bunch, Junior Bonner, My heros have always been cowboys, and he won a AA for The Last Picture Show, and about ten zillion other movies.

Ben Johnson had away around horses that always reminded me of the oldtimers that I remember when I was a kid, these men handled horses like they were tools that they had a lot of respect for.
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »
Uncle Eph, you are right.  I have seen most of those movies, but just don't remember him.  I guess I'll have to watch some movies this weekend.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 02:40:02 PM »
Check Ben out in Mighty Joe Young...roping a fifty ton gorilla...HA!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 02:43:57 PM »
As I recall Ben Johnson and Harry Carey Jr. did their own stunt riding in Rio Grande for the Roman riding sequence.  ??? ::)  If not the total ride, at least the dismount. :o
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 07:22:19 AM »
Clint Eastwood....In "Unforgiven"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 02:47:51 PM »
Texas Lawdog, I never had a chance to meet Ben Johnson, I would have been thrilled to do so, some time ago I owned the  model 92 that he carried in the movie "The Wild Bunch" with a bunch of paper work on the different movies it had been in and fool that I am I traded for something else that caught my eye. ??? :-[ :'(

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 12:14:51 PM »
As I recall Ben Johnson and Harry Carey Jr. did their own stunt riding in Rio Grande for the Roman riding sequence.  ??? ::)  If not the total ride, at least the dismount. :o
Great sequence!

Ben is also in Shane, The Shadow Riders, Sacketts, Chisum, Hang Em High, Will Penny, etc. Here is link to his filmography.
http://imdb.com/name/nm0424565/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9YmVuIGpvaG5zb258aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »
Ben was born in Oklahoma.  He got his start in the movies in the late 40's.  He was hired by Howard Hughes to bring a load of horses to California to use in "The Outlaw" and he never left.  Inthe beginning  he was a stuntman and a "double" for John Wayne, Joel Mccrea and others. He was in a lot of Duke's westerns. He took a year off from the movies to go back to Rodeo and he won the 1953 RCA World Champion Steer Roping title.  He is the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame and the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City.  They erected a large bronze of him there a couple of years ago
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com