Author Topic: Holster for Remington conversion?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Holster for Remington conversion?
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »
Recently acquired a Kenny Howell Remington NMA thin-plate conversion and I'm looking for an authentic rig for it. I like the early Indian Wars gear so I'm looking at the WPG 1872 cavalry belt and the 1874 Hoffman swivel holster. However the description says not for the Remington.  Does anyone know if it's the 1875 Remington or the '58 NMA Remington they're referring to?
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Holster for Remington conversion?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »
Hi

I've been buying stuff from Jerry for years.  Email him and ask.  On the WPG website https://onlinemilitaria.net/, the pages have a "question about the product" link.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
Much obliged. I'll check out the questions page. Is anyone repro-ing the 1872 holster? I really like having the full flap over the cut-down on the 1874.
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:03:39 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »
To be very honest, the 1874 Hoffman swivel holster is not only a pain to reproduce, but in fact, they were so subject to having the swivel attachment separate from the holster body that most company commanders had their saddler sergeants rivet and stich the body to the belt loop to prevent loss (for which the officer generally held responsible!!!) of the gun and holster.
I gave up trying to make the swivel long ago, and went to the field-modified version. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
The problem is, some folks who want items like this reproduced, figure any of us who reproduce authentic gear can make what they are asking for.  Unfortunately, some of the hardware, like this swivel, have not been available for almost 100 years.  Yes, we wish we could help, but the fact is, we can only work with hardware that is available today.  There are some swivels that might work, but they are far from the original style and will not produce the look you expect.

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »
Much obliged for all the input. I just wet-molded an old '60 Army Slim Jim I made over 20 years ago to fit the Remington until I sort out the 1872-pattern quest. I found a maker in France that has a '72 on their website. No prices listed, but the pics look great.  I've also spoken to a domestic maker who has a '72 in development.  I'm in no hurry to buy. I've always been into the oddball impressions throughout my reenacting years. Patience and research have always worked for me.    8)

Offline Trooper Smith

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
The swivels for the 1872 holsters are a bit of a problem. I had several 1872 and modified 1874 made a while back for my reproductions of the 1872 and 1874/75 holsters. There is a bit of work involved in attaching them and yes the originals did not fair well in field service but for re-enacting or cowboy shooting they seem to hold up fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com