Author Topic: Drill bit  (Read 3784 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Drill bit
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »
I haven't seen your two replies, Greyhawk. No moderator action going on that I know of. Maybe there was some kind of a glitch when you were trying to reply. I had that happen myself on another forum (not CAS City) yesterday when I tried to post.

Skeeter
it went something like this (never comes out as good the second time around)
yeah ! worn out hands - you not the only feller !

Prepunching ? I use a stitch marker and punch holes (with the awl) over a little hole i drilled in the benchtop to let the awlpoint pass through but gives a solid support to push against - dont have to use other hand with any force to hold the piece - I stand up to do it so can use forearm strength to bear down on the work - that helps.

Some stuff I mark both sides of the work and awl punch each part separately - not sposed to do that but be careful and it works ok - just need to make sure the angle of the awl holes is right - (push a couple index holes through both pieces to be sure) - this is twice as much work but half the effort each time - works for me. Plus is perfectly neat stitch line on front and back side of the join.

I cheat with my stitching, mostly only use one needle and I have a nice smooth, fine, fid to enlarge the stitch holes on the return trip if its needed - dont use an awl for that, you can cut the previous thread - If you careful how you pull the stitches in its neat.

Also use pre twisted thread - that needs a one size bigger needle - the ball of linen thread I have is machine twist (by mistake) how I know there is a difference ? This works ok but dont even think about using reverse twist (for hand sewing) in a machine = big headache. 

A machine for prepunching to hand sew ? I dont reckon would be worth the bother - just load the thing up and sew it.
I have four machines in various stages of restoration/disrepair - Something for light work - like bags and chaps etc - plenty around and not expensive - but holsters ? needs a proper machine I think - compound walkling foot needle feed. Walking foot is good - needle feed is great! 

Like your work (who wouldnt!) I am not doing stuff regular anymore - just an occasional holster or belt but you will never find this house without a useable side of leather and the tools to work it.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 03:09:26 AM »
Greyhawk - it was worth waiting for! There's some solid info there. Thanks.
Skeet

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 07:07:59 AM »
Hi Cliff,
What I use is a finish nail with the head cut off in my drill press and have thought a cordless dremel would let me do the same thing while sitting in a comfortable chair since my back gives me so much trouble now.

One caution about using a Dremel tool as shown in the picture is that you have to be careful and hold the Dremel tool perpendicular to the leather. It takes a little practice. I'm not doing much leather working since I moved to Florida or I would get the Dremel tool drill press attachment.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:21:51 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
How would an awl be held securely by a drill press or Dremel?

Hi Skeeter, Cliff answered it.  Some of the awls have replaceable bits which will also fit in a drill press.  Beeswax is helpful in getting the bit back out.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 05:57:13 PM »
Hi Cliff,
One caution about using a Dremel tool as shown in the picture is that you have to be careful and hold the Dremel tool perpendicular to the leather. It takes a little practice. I'm not doing much leather working since I moved to Florida or I would get the Dremel tool drill press attachment.
Hey Johnny, I'm not doing much anymore either, having lots of back trouble. I guess I'll have to stick to the drill press and nail. I clamp a block of wood in the vice on the drill press and can lay the work on the block of wood and let the bit make a hole through the leather and into the wood slightly.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com