Author Topic: Color Question  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
Color Question
« on: October 23, 2020, 08:24:27 AM »
On the new Guns of the Old West magazine there is a holster and I really love the color. Hope it shows in the photo here.

None of the browns I have tried look like this. Do you think it has some type of red mixed in or what do you think?

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Color Question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:33:55 AM »
You might try Cordovan or Ox Blood Fiberings dye and cut 50% -60% with alcohol on test scrap .

You may need to adjust the blend , but first don't be afraid to apply a second application to your test scrap  to deepen the color.   
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 09:28:37 AM »
Hi

That sort of looks like the Neats Foot Oil n Skidmore's trick but with the highlighter over the carving.  I haven't actually tried that though.  Obviously try on scrap before you do the real thing.  I think I got enough carved up, died leather to make a calf at least.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:11:58 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:09:51 AM »
Chestnut skirting leather
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
Hi

That sort of looks like the Neats Foot Oil n Skidmore's trick but with the highlighter over the carving.  I haven't actually tried that though.  Obviously try on scrap before you do the real thing.  I think I got enough carved up, died leather to make a calf at least.

Later

I'm not familiar with that trick. I will have to research it.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »
Chestnut skirting leather

You mean its Chestnut skirting leather that comes that color and maybe some antiquing in the carving?

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 10:26:06 AM »
Yep, that's my guess as to what it is. Plus they have some bright lighting in the photo which makes colors pop different.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
I don't know how to post pictures now or I could post a couple of mine using Chestnut. I use it all the time.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »
Hi Cliff

I have a couple of belts I purchased at gun shows that I'm pretty sure are purchased by the maker, already dyed.  These are fairly thick but the maker DID stamp the size on the back of the belt, so it could be carved.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
I am pretty sure I have seen dyed veg tan leather at Springfield leather.   I 2nd that it is a chestnut color.  I made some chestnut dye last year from chestnut hulls.   Depending on the quality of the leather, it gives nearly that color.   It has to be high end veg tan though.  Cheaper pieces of veg tan I bought came out a reall ugly spotted brown color.   

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
Wickett and Craig Chestnut.

Thoroughbred doesn't have a Chestnut they have a drum dyed skirting called Mahogany which is even more red than Wickett and Craig Chestnut.

Hermann Oak has a Chestnut skirting but it's not as red. 

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »
Chestnut is a beautiful color and if you can make it strong enough and use high quality veg tan, you can get great results, my experience with making my own hasn't been that great, still working on a better dye...

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Don't  be  fooled  by  the color in the photo.  When my ads are run, often times they are not the true color of the leather or the photo I send for the ad.  If you want to be sure of the true color, call the guy who made the holster.  You might have a hard time matching the color in the photo.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 11:27:54 PM »
Don't  be  fooled  by  the color in the photo.  When my ads are run, often times they are not the true color of the leather or the photo I send for the ad.  If you want to be sure of the true color, call the guy who made the holster.  You might have a hard time matching the color in the photo.

As I mentioned above its bright lighting the photo lighting will make the colors pop different but he asked about the color of the photo and I can most certainly almost exact duplicate that look in real life with Chestnut skirting leather which is why I suggested he try it. It's not hard at all really.

So if you used Russet and it's mostly lighting it wouldn't have mattered if he did ask because he wouldn't be happy with the outcome since that "real life" red color is more easily achieved with Chestnut.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »

:)  Well . . .  :D

A really really poor mix of International Orange.  I personally likeInternational Orange. Uber Cool it is.

Nonsense.  Total nonsense.  This reply contains nothing concrete nor appropriate to the OP.  None.  Nada. Zip.  ZERO.  However, as you may observe, it's Sunday before noon.  I have no project going inna shop so I are some bored.  I needed something to do.  This is it.  Should you choose to ignore my contribution, I shall take no offense.  I'd probably ignore it my own self.  If you've read this far, It's Too Late!!

Hide and Watch

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 06:54:45 PM »

:)  Well . . .  :D

A really really poor mix of International Orange.  I personally likeInternational Orange. Uber Cool it is.

Nonsense.  Total nonsense.  This reply contains nothing concrete nor appropriate to the OP.  None.  Nada. Zip.  ZERO.  However, as you may observe, it's Sunday before noon.  I have no project going inna shop so I are some bored.  I needed something to do.  This is it.  Should you choose to ignore my contribution, I shall take no offense.  I'd probably ignore it my own self.  If you've read this far, It's Too Late!!

Hide and Watch

Hey now.......all comments matter.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
Here are some pics that Cliff sent me and said I could post for him.

Really fine work and love the color.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 08:30:33 PM »
That's some beautiful work. Love that chestnut color.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com