Author Topic: Jacketed rounds for the GAF pistol course?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jacketed rounds for the GAF pistol course?
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »
A buddy took some of my .45LC brass and said he'd do two boxes of reloads to see if I like them for CAS shooting as I don't have the time to do my own reloading.
They came back with jacketed bullets, like you'd find in ACP ammo.
As they will fire out of my SAA's and Rugers, would it be okay to shoot the GAF pistol course with them? Would anyone care that I used jacketed rounds for that? God knows I can't shoot a CAS stage with them, might as well use them for something worthwhile...  :P

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Jacketed rounds for the GAF pistol course?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:55 AM »
Certainly for Paper punching they're fine.  There's no reason anyone could not shoot the course with full power FMJ rounds if they wanted.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:06:07 AM »
As Drydock mentioned, for paper punching, the FMJ projectiles would be fine.  I'd hesitate, however to shoot at steel.  Depending on the target's hardness, even a 45 cal. FMJ projectile COULD punch through like an armor piercing round.  MOST ranges use a low or light grade of armor plate or VERY hard steel, but there might be a few cold-rolled or sheet iron targets out there.

Any range that allows modern rounds would be safe to shoot at paper or wooden targets.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:54 AM »

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »
As Drydock mentioned, for paper punching, the FMJ projectiles would be fine.  I'd hesitate, however to shoot at steel.  Depending on the target's hardness, even a 45 cal. FMJ projectile COULD punch through like an armor piercing round.  MOST ranges use a low or light grade of armor plate or VERY hard steel, but there might be a few cold-rolled or sheet iron targets out there.

Any range that allows modern rounds would be safe to shoot at paper or wooden targets.
Oh yeah, I knew that part already, never crossed my mind to shoot CAS on steel with them but I'd have to see them go to waste and I want to get my pistol quals done with GAF and it seemed like the best option...

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »
Oh yeah, I knew that part already, never crossed my mind to shoot CAS on steel with them but I'd have to see them go to waste and I want to get my pistol quals done with GAF and it seemed like the best option...

I'd say that would be a great use for them.  IMHO, of course - I'm NOT the final say.  I don't think we've gotten to the point where we have to specify the ammo used to punch a paper target - 'specially if the round is loaded exactly like it would be for a GAF match, except using a FMJ projectile vs. lead.  (All other things being equal.  The paper sure won't care!)

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
We have to qualify with a shotgun every year as well as our handgun. The shotgun target is a steel target and the ammo is 00 Buck. I caught a sliver of lead in my arm while I was firing at the metal target. The firing was done at 7 yards. I wanna shoot those metal targets further away.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com