Author Topic: Uncle Sams Sutlerly on ebay  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uncle Sams Sutlerly on ebay
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:09:40 AM »
Any one have any dealing with Uncle Sams Sutlerly on ebay the prices almost seem too good to believe.   
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Uncle Sams Sutlerly on ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:17:32 AM »
If you give us a link we can go see what you are referring to.   ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
I couldn't find anything on it either. Give me a day or 2 & I can rate this company. My first order has shipped.  CS officers frock for $100, officers kepi $21.99.

http://www.butternuts-and-bluecoats.com/

Review of Butternuts & Bluecoats. I purchased the single breasted CS officers frock coat, & 2 kepis., 1 officer, & 1 enlisted. Overall quality is good. Fabric is light weight, lightest of any uniform ordred so far. Buttons came sewed on.

Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:47:15 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »
Ok Dusty let us know.   I looked at the prices of their boots and they seem a bit too good to be real.  I wonder if they are made in Pakistan? 

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »
Another pard here recommended them a while back.  I did notice that they seem to have the same image on a pair of boots that Fall Creek uses, only for half the price.

Hope they prove to be as good as they sound.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
I can only tell you he has 100% positive feedback and I ordered a couple items and he contacted me immediately to confirm sizes, etc.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »
I looked at the prices of their boots and they seem a bit too good to be real.  I wonder if they are made in Pakistan?
I got a kepi from them a few months ago. For what they charge it's clearly not American made. I wasn't impressed with the chinstrap and buckle as they used VERY thin leather, and the visor was stitched to the body using every other hole punched into the back of the bill. But, other than that, I was very impressed with the cloth work! I can't say about the dyes in the fabric yet as it hasn't spent much time outside but it's well stitched and the lining is well done as well. So far, it appears very much worth the money! I would caution about sizes, though. It appeared that their sizes run slightly smaller than you'd think for the size listing. I wear a hat usually over 7 1/2, and they warned me that the XL one "wouldn't be large enough" for that. They make an XXL, but you have to ask for it and it might take a while to get in. After a day with my hat stretcher, it fits exactly and I have a very large noggin.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »
Captain,   Alot of the Sutlers and suppliers get their products from Pakistan.  Generally speaking they are of much lower quality and are also less expensive.  People compare prices to these goods and then to places like Fall Creek (which does not buy most of their products from Pakistan) and which uses American made goods.  They then wonder why Fall Creeks prices are so much higher.   You get what you pay for.    Anyways,   to each his/her own.    ;)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
I have several uniforms in my closet from Fall Creek, Blockade Runner, US Hist, and C & C Sutlery. My wallet needs a break.

Dusty

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »
Here's the two pics from Fall Creek & Butternuts' web sites.  Resolution isn't identical, but the boots are.  I believe there was considerable discussion as to whether these particular stove pipe boots were authentic.

BP

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »
Captain,   Alot of the Sutlers and suppliers get their products from Pakistan.  Generally speaking they are of much lower quality and are also less expensive.  People compare prices to these goods and then to places like Fall Creek (which does not buy most of their products from Pakistan) and which uses American made goods.  They then wonder why Fall Creeks prices are so much higher.
I wasn't saying anything about domestic or foreign anything. COL Buckshot simply wanted to know if their stuff wasn't too bad considering their low prices. I answered the question with my assessment of the one item of their I've bought. I felt it was well worth my money but it had some minor points that needed be known to answer that question. There was nothing other than that I had in mind in that post, and I don't want to get into an argument about items made in other countries. Just because something is made in the US, doesn't mean it's AUTOMATICALLY a better item, and I wish people would someday come to terms with that reality.

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 01:17:19 AM »
was asking because my wedding in January next year will be Civil War themed and was looking at ways to outfit the grooms men inexpensively.  Also saw some stuff I like plus I just spent $300+ on eqaulettes, and a Chapeau Bras.  I will be in full dress for the wedding. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »
... my wedding in January next year will be Civil War themed... 

Sounds like you found a terrific partner.  Congratulations!

BP

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 07:09:41 AM »
Fall Creek has his boots made by a company here and they are of good quality.  Boots priced at 125 are likely not made here.  If you go to shoots and have to walk around a bit,  I would spend the extra money for a good pair of boots made out of quality leather.   This is the reality I know.  Spend your money how you wish,  keeping in mind you often get what you pay for especially with something like boots.    Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 08:18:13 AM »
I have no doubt that the boots I pictured from Butternuts and Fall Creek are identical.  One sells them for considerably less.  That's competition.

I don't have a problem with a vendor selling foreign made goods to improve his margins, stay in business, and provide something to the customer looking in that price range.

I would have a problem with somebody misrepresenting their stuff or using the advertising materials of a competitor as a way of spoofing the customer that what they have is the same as the other guy's at half the price, if it is in fact not the same product.

So either Fall Creek has a pair of boots that are imported (fine with me), or Butternut's has the identical item for less (fine with me), or Butternut's is using FC's photo to represent their product as identical but it's not (not fine with me).

I've had both vendors bookmarked for a long time, especially Fall Creek, and so far have reason to keep them both as approved recipients of my money. 

Col. Buckshot, I think for your purposes, Butternut's has terrific values.  You gonna set the tables at the reception with tin wear?  He's worth considering: http://www.butternuts-and-bluecoats.com/bandbcatalog-steelandtin.html.

Hope after the nuptials, you post a couple pics for us.

BP

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
Its mainly my side thats going to be themed hers will be normal.  We will be married at a 1840 sugar mill that the Seminole Indians destroyed but there is a 200 year old oak tree we will be married under.  I will be giving cavalry sabers to the grooms men as their presents.  We got old bottles with rock candy in them for favors.  The only thing is they look like little crystal meth bottles.  Was thinking of putting letter opener sabers on the tabbles but then some people might  have sword fights at the tables.
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
Colonel Buckshot, I agree, Butternuts & Bluecoats would be good for you, My $100.00 Frock Coat came out very good. The buttons were attached. As I stated earlier, it is a lighter weight material. This too may come in handy at the wedding.

Dusty

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:16 AM »
I checked with a source that has been in the Sutlery supply business for 20 or more years.  The boots offered by Butternuts are NOT the same boots offered by Fall Creek.  The boots at Butternuts are either made in India or Pakistan.  They wholesale for $25 for the shoes and $48 for the boots.   They do not hold up well.   I just wanted to make this correction so that pards reading this thread dont think the footwear offered at Fall Creek Sutlery are the same as those offered at other places for much less money.

I am not saying you shouldnt spend your money how you see fit, but just be aware that you will likely get what you pay for with such items.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
I'm NOT degrading ANY company here - just mentioning my experiences.

On the Internet, I have seen MANY instances where the same photo was used to illustrate products (of the same type) but made by others, and different manufacturers.

It happens.

However, if I get the cash, I think I WILL get a coat from them as it won't be needed often and the lighter weight material will be a plus.

It runs about 1/2 the price of FCS and less than 1/3 than Quartermasters.  And for those of us on a TIGHT budget, this is an important consideration.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »
Interesting ... I looked at the photos and the ones do look like photo crop of the same pair of boots...I know Andy has his online catalog photo's copy protected...

I have known Andy (Fall Creek) for 25 years, I have a pair of his Officers Knee flap boots ,they are 17 years old.
Ordered on the set while working on "Gettysburg" 1991, Andy measured me for my pair personally.
I have ridden & reenacted in these and now shoot all these years....they are still in good Cond. and I would not hesatate to reccomend Andy Falk's maker....
as I recall.. his prices have not changed all that much in those years .
I think I paid $225 in 91 and thought that was very fair for custom boots, conidering their lifes useage I believe they were a steal.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com