Author Topic: Information request---Please help  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Information request---Please help
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
Hi everybody I have received the following request for information. Do any of you have any information reqaurding any of these rifles?

"Hi,

My name is John Baard and I’m from South Africa. I just inherit some of my recently deceased dad’s rifles. I wonder if you can help me share some light on the rifles below;

Remington-keene – serial number S60 and S95. Caliber 45-70. What was the difference between the standard and the sporting rifle? Also what is the difference between the Remington-keene and the Remington-lee?
Then on one rifle, a muzzle loading firearm (black powder), or as we South Africans called it in the Boer War the “Voorlaaier” there is a identification certificate stating it to be a THERON RITCHARDS. No serial number is visible and with a 12 bore gauge. I’ve checked on the internet, but could only find a WESTLEY RICHARDS manufacturer. Did Westley Richards manufacture black powder muzzle loading firearms? Where did the name THERON RITCHARDS came from or is this a mistake on the certificate? This rifle should be from the year 1810 to 1830.
Then there is a Martini Henry that was made by the British and imported to SA with a branding that it was made for ZAR (Zuid Afrikaanze Replubliek)

More interested in the top two fire arms, so if you can help me please. I am currently working in Angola and do not have the firearms with me.

Please advise,

John Baard

Marine Oil & Gas Product Support

Barloworld Equipment Angola

Tel:  +244 (222) 460 220

Fax: +244 (222) 460 605

Mobile: +244 924 987 277

E-mail: jbaard@barloworld-angola.com
"

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,