Author Topic: Mexican War Forage Cap.  (Read 11440 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Mexican War Forage Cap.
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
Any one know hwere I can purchase an authentic, historically accurate copy of the Forage Cap used by US Troops during the Mexican War in 1847-1849?

Your help would be appreciated.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mexican War Forage Cap.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »
Billy's Hats out of Gettysburg.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
Yes, Dirty Billy's. But be warned, very expensive. www.dirtybillyshats.com/index.htm

If you're talking about the forage cap that was a wheel-cap, Dixie Gun Works used to offer a very good quality one of the 1839 forage cap in navy blue wool. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_107_228&products_id=10044

Or QuarterMaster Shop, www.quartermastershop.com

Might check Tim Bender, http://www.benderhats.com/products.html  but I think they specialize in brimmed hats, not caps.
http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ is another, but I've heard nothing about them from people.

If you're adventursome and creative, build any hat you may want by using www.hatcrafters.com

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:43:04 PM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
Jarningan has them too.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »
Yes, Dirty Billy's. But be warned, very expensive.
I'd steer WELL clear of Dirty Billy's. They have the absolute worst customer service on the planet. I'd ordered a hat from them a while back, it showed up much later than promised, much more money than they said it would and it was an entire number hat size smaller. When I returned it with a note stating these reasons, they called me and left a voice mail stating they don't need my business and to never order form them ever again! I guess I was wrong to return something that wasn't what I ordered. What nerve of some people, huh?  ::)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
I'd steer WELL clear of Dirty Billy's. They have the absolute worst customer service on the planet. I'd ordered a hat from them a while back, it showed up much later than promised, much more money than they said it would and it was an entire number hat size smaller. When I returned it with a note stating these reasons, they called me and left a voice mail stating they don't need my business and to never order form them ever again! I guess I was wrong to return something that wasn't what I ordered. What nerve of some people, huh?  ::)

I've had my dealings with Billy and will never go back or recommend him to anyone.

Thanks for all the responses.  I'll brouse through their sites and see which one meets my needs.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Mark DuCap

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »
Grapeshot, my good sir, kindly check out Nick Sekela at n.j.sekela.com, or just 'google' Nick Sekela and check out his headgear selection and find an authentic reproduction of a genuine Mexican War Forage Cap a.k.a. the Wheel Cap.  In fact look through the whole site...  Hope you'll  find it enjoyable !!!  Tell him Mark DuCap recommended his work,  all top shelf, none better !
Mark DuCap, aka 'Easy Mark'

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »
If this is still a subject, but try www.quartermasterdepot.com  Fort McKavett ordered two (a Type I and a Type III) and we are very happy with them!

Chris Fischer
Fort McKavett State Historic Site
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »
www.mercurysutler.com has them pretty inexpensive also saw them at www.umvmco.com 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »
Dirty Billy's defenitely could use a class in common courtesy & good manners.

However, I was quoted the price I paid and got a wonderful product - a few months late since it went to Lousiana right as I went to Virginia.

While I won't defend the "grumpier" sulters that deliver - I prefer them to the nicer ones over the years that have promised and said all the right things to just go deeper and deeper into the proverbial hole.

That being said - i have found Quartermastershop extremely knowledgable, friendly and they almost always deliver products two weeks or more early.  They are one of the best I have dealt with and if they do not make it they usually know who does.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just found them for sale on ebay by the seller knapsack100.  Its the enlisted model with the fold down flap
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com