Author Topic: Redoing my 76  (Read 4652 times)

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Redoing my 76
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »
I have pulled my forearm stock off and restained and started putting an oil finnish on it. I used a stain that is close to the old winchester color. It still is almost the same red that Uberti has on the stock. I think it's not the same as Winchester's color because of the differance in wood. The Uberti's walnut is lighter than American Black Walnut. I may make new stocks when I find the time.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
Re: Redoing my 76
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
i know I like mine a lot better with the shiney coating removed. I did one with a stain and one with linseed oil. I've actually done a couple of others - a '66 and a '73, so I've had a lot of chances to experiment. You are going to make a stock?? That sounds like a lengthy adventure!  ;)

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
I also modified my front sight. I added a piece of silver on the top corner less than an eighth of an inch, just enough to reflect the light. My next mod will be making a rear sight I don't like the wide deep notch and the buckhorn sight. It really doesn't take me long to rough out a butt stock Dirtybrass. I can do it in about a day and then I take a couple of evenigs to tweek it and sand it down. I haven't made up my mind if I want a shotgun butt or stay with the creasent style. ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:00:54 PM »

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:45:22 AM »
Gentlemen,

you can get oil with the correct red color for winchesters from:

http://www.winrest.com/

there are instructions on the website for putting a AAA oil finish on a stock. I have done a number
of rifles using the oil from them and highly recommend it

regards
dave cook

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:40:27 AM »
...I used a stain that is close to the old winchester color. It still is almost the same red that Uberti has on the stock. I think it's not the same as Winchester's color because of the differance in wood. The Uberti's walnut is lighter than American Black Walnut. I may make new stocks when I find the time.

There is a LOT of misconception about old gunstock finish. Winchester, as many other companies as well, used linseed oil that had alkanet root steeped into it, hence the reddish color. The deep dark red is historically correct.  ;)

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
I have an original 1894 rifle made in about 1920 and it still has almost all of the original stain on the stock. It has a very reddish tint to it but it is still different from the uberti. I think the difference may be the wood spiecies. They are using some kind of european walnut and winchester used american black. These woods are different in color when bare. I'll post some photos of my rifle when it is finnished.

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
I hope this photo shows up!

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
The photo shows up too small. Can you link it to the full size photo?
Danny Ellison aka Joss house

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
Joss I would if I wernt so computer dumb. It is a photo I took of it befor I started redoing the stock. I was just trying to see if I could put a photo up on the site. The first try my photo would take because the file was to big and then I got this itti bitti thing my next try. I'll see if my teenage daughter can figure something out.

Offline Joss House

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »
Do you have your photo's hosted in Photobucket? If so, there is an "IMG" link at the bottom of the photograph. Simply copy and paste that link. Actually it's probably the same with any photo imaging host.
Danny Ellison aka Joss house

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
I'm trying the photo thing again. Try this link and see if the photo is larger:                          \\bf.umich.edu\HomeFolders\PO\bkbarker\mydocs\My Pictures\chelsea

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
Ok see if this works.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com