Author Topic: Winchester's 1879 test of the Model 1876s action strength  (Read 10559 times)

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester's 1879 test of the Model 1876s action strength
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
I don't know how many of you fellers have read this, but this excerpt from Bill Hockett's 2002 article on the Centennial Winchester explains the strength testing that Winchester performed on the new model. it is a bit of am eye opener.

"The Model 1876 is the only repeating rifle that had successful, documented use in the northern plains buffalo slaughter. Earlier repeating rifles such as the Henry, Spencer, and Winchester Models of 1866 and 1873 may have seen limited use, but only the Model 1876 was considered by hunters as powerful enough to do the job against the big woolies. The strength of the Model 1876 rifle and the .45-75 W.C.F. cartridge was tested by Winchester in the late 1870s. The factory conducted tests on the strength and reliability of the action to answer concerns by customers. These tests will astound collectors and shooters who have stated the Model 1876's toggle link action is "weak." In response to a letter sent to the company by Charles Hallock, Esquire, of Forest & Stream magazine, Oliver Winchester responded by telling about the tests the factory accomplished on the 1876 rifle. He indicated that engineers first started the tests by removing one of the toggle links and fired 20 rounds (this was with .45-75 W.C.F. cartridge with 350 grain bullet) with no effect. They restored the missing link then went through 6 more trials starting with a charge of 105 grains of black powder, behind a 700 grain bullet! The comment "worked well" is noted. They then increased the charge of powder to 165 grains behind 3 bullets (1,150 grains) and that "worked well." From there, they increased the powder charge to 203 grains and added more bullets until they reached 1,750 grains of lead (five 350 grain bullets). This also "worked well." Finally, they added one more bullet, bringing the total weight to 2,100 grains, and things began to happen. The comment was, "Breech pin slightly bent. Arm working stiff." The seventh and final test was again 203 grains of powder but this time six Martini bullets weighing 480 grains each (2,880 grains) were used. "The charge bent the breech pin, blew out the side plates, split the frame and otherwise disabled the arm," was the comment. Oliver Winchester noted that in this seventh trial, the shell had burst into fragments and the escape of gas at the breech did the damage."

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
Re: Winchester's 1879 test of the Model 1876s action strength
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
Impressive.

MD

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »
Can't recall where I've read that before...but lead me to believe the rifles are stronger than some might think.

Advertising

Offline CarverTripp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:50:52 PM »
I've also read this on the internet. Impressive indeed! Not that I would want to try this at home, but I wonder if one can say that the clones are also capable of this kind of stress.
Carver
NRA member
NCSA member

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »
Mike D.

Thank you for the post.  It is interesting history!   In Winchester's catalog dated May 1, 1878, pages 7, 8 & 9 are devoted to the correspondence between Charles Hallock, Esq. and Winchester under the heading  "TRIAL OF THE WINCHESTER REPEATING SPORTING RIFLE".

The letter that started it all was dated Oct 20, 1877 in which Charles Hallock, Esq. had purchased an 1876 Winchester Rifle and was quite pleased with it but was "absolutely afraid of it by reason of what seems to me, after careful examination, the weakness of the breech fastening......."   

O. F. Winchester responded in part.... "As we had never submitted this arm (Model 1876)  to any trial to this end, we had no data upon which we could express a decided opinion, and decided to submit one of them to a thorough trial with increased charges up to the bursting point."

Within 1 week of the receipt of the letter from Charles Hallock, Esq., Winchester had carried out the trials  and you know what the results were.  Pretty impressive!!

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »
Winchester Catalog:
NEW HAVEN, CONN.,Oct. 27, 1877
" Seventh. Fired with a charge of 203 grains of same powder and six Martini bullets of 480 grains each. Weight, 2880 grains. This charge bent the breech pin, blew out the side plates, split the frame and otherwise disabled the arm."

RICHARD F. HARE
In charge of Trial

" Personally appeared. Richard F. Hare, signer of the foregoing statement, who acknowledged the same to be true."
DANIEL H. VEADER
Notary Public
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »
Looking at that long slender bolt and inside at the toggles, I can well understand how that fellow felt.  Still, they gave good service in both the 1873 and 1876 for many, many years. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Online Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »
How exactly did they get 200gr of powder in the case and seven bullets in the gun?

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 10:55:22 AM »
How exactly did they get 200gr of powder in the case and seven bullets in the gun?

From the muzzle.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Interesting they chose the Martini bullet instead of an American 45 rifle bullet, if I remember right they are a few thousands smaller than the 45-70 bullet, 0.454 I think.   ;)  That and muzzele loading the bullet would sure reduce pressure. but then I never really trust a companies own test on a product, esp in that time period.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com