Author Topic: Jamison Brass Availability  (Read 37412 times)

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jamison Brass Availability
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:18:25 PM »
Don't hold your breath waiting for Jamison 45-75 brass.

I just got off the phone with them about a half an hour ago (1:30 PM, Pacific time) and was informed that it would be 6 - 8 months before they get into production on it.  They are completly backlogged with military production at this time.

I guess we will have to continue to make do with modified 348 cases (which seem to be working OK) or modified 50 caliber Sharps cases until near the end of next year.

HHW

Offline shooter93

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Jamison Brass Availability
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
I wonder if anyone has talked to Starline....they will make anything with a large enough order. I don't know how many 45-75's are out there though.

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
Buffalo Brothers is currently out of .45-60 cut down brass as well.  I tried ordering some and got a back order notice, so I will try my hand at cutting down .45-70 brass myself.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:52:23 PM »

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:00:22 AM »
If EVERY .45-75 shooter would contact Starline about producing brass they might hustle up.  They could take away the market from Jamison and Bertram.  I have, have you?   ;)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
Good idea.  I contacted Starline this morning.  We'll see what happens next.

HHW

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
I have spoken to them 3 times concerning .45-75 brass. Now that there are more of us shooters out there, they have indicated that it is a possibility.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:17:47 AM »
I haven't got a 1876 yet, but will prob go with the 45-75 when I do. I will contact Starline myself today.

MD

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
Mine's gone ... here's the email address you want to use .... Robert Hayden (rhayden@starlinebrass.com)

Robert is the owner's son and he is in charge of Sales and Production
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »
John B., thanks for the email posted.

One more voice is in to Starline requesting consideration on the 45-75 case/brass.

Let us hope they come across for us.

MD

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »
Well I just put in my two cents worth to Starline also.  Even though I got quite a bit of brass that I have made I can always use more! ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
 ::) Hobie:  I sent an e-mail to a Robert Hayden this morning about the availability of 45-75 brass and he answered me right away and said that is one of the next cartridges that they are going to produce and even though he does not  have a timeline yet they are shooting for the 2nd quarter of next year but nothing firm.  So-- I figured I better pass this on.  I got lots of 45-75 brass but am greedy so will want some also.  Told him to keep me on his  e-mail list and advise when they are ready.  Hope this little tidbit of info helps.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
::) Hobie:  I sent an e-mail to a Robert Hayden this morning about the availability of 45-75 brass and he answered me right away and said that is one of the next cartridges that they are going to produce and even though he does not  have a timeline yet they are shooting for the 2nd quarter of next year but nothing firm.  So-- I figured I better pass this on.  I got lots of 45-75 brass but am greedy so will want some also.  Told him to keep me on his  e-mail list and advise when they are ready.  Hope this little tidbit of info helps.
Thanks, I'll have to get some too just to have.  I've bought the .50 AK and .38-55 long and this will just be another.  Besides, when you use the gun as a truck gun you're bound to lose cases...   ;)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
It has been suggested that we give Starline a consensus on the case dimensions as they might use the .50 Alaskan/.348 Win case head dia.  The 1918 drawing show .562-.564" and that seems to work with no problem in my gun.  Frankly I think it is a given that the Winchester drawing be used as the standard.  What say you all? 

Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 08:10:04 AM »
  ;) Hobie, I agree with you.  If they stick to the original specs we can't loose.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Now herein lies a problem with sticking with original Winchester case head dimensions.  The Lee dies that most people seem to be using are not made for a case head this big in diameter.  I was resizing 50-90 cases with a head diameter of 0.563" and split a Lee full length resizing die.  When sent back to Lee explaining the problem (they replaced the die at no charge) they came back with the following information.

To paraphrase Lee's answer, their dies are made with a base diameter of 0.552" - 0.555" @ 0.100" deep.  They say that they designed the die base based on dimensions supplied to them by Jamison.

Now, I don't know from what source other die manufacturers are sizing their dies from, but before we start advising Starline on what their case dimensions should be, someone with other manufactures die sets besides Lee needs to take some measurements on the die base inside diameters and see what we should suggesting.

Present die sets run anywhere from around $35.00 to $250.00.  I for one do not want to spend $250.00 for a set of dies when perfectly good dies can be had at a much lower price.

Something to think about before we go making recommendations that may end up being a problem.

HHW

Offline Crotchety Old Grouch

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »
I pulled this info off of the Chaparral site.  It's under the , "Technical Specs" tab on the home page.  Everything is metric in the drawing but the head and rim thikness match the original Winchestes 1912 drawing.  You'd think that this is what they are cutting. thier chambers for.

Here's a link;  http://www.chaparralarms.com/index.htm
45-75

Head diameter .627  
Rim thickness .062
Case lenght 1.88
Overall cartridge lenght 2.25

p.s.  I e-mailed Chaparral on Tuseday the 3rd asking for a U.S. source for their brass or if I could order directly from them and the price.  No responce yet.  Called Charter Arms to see if they emported any.  They said no and refe. me to  their ammo supplier who told me their only source was Ten-X.

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »
It has been suggested that we give Starline a consensus on the case dimensions as they might use the .50 Alaskan/.348 Win case head dia.  The 1918 drawing show .562-.564" and that seems to work with no problem in my gun.  Frankly I think it is a given that the Winchester drawing be used as the standard.  What say you all? 

I believe there is a small error in that diagram.  The diameter at the base of the neck of the cartridge is shown to be (.581  .5832").  I believe this should be (.481  .4832").  If I am reading the diagram correctly, the dimension as shown would make the neck bigger than is possible.

Icebox Bob

p.s.  I have this diagram printed off to small poster size and pinned to the wall for inspiration.....
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 01:20:08 PM »
I'll go over the drawing again.   ;)

As to the Lee dies.  Mine sized the Bertram brass perfectly (except for the slightly set back shoulder) and that brass measures .562" just forward of the rim...  In fact, for another correspondent, I measured all the case heads on my fired brass both pre and post full-length sizing.  All is undersized but for the Bertram (according to the drawing) and that dimension was NOT changed. 

Does Lee have their act together on this die set?  I don't think so.  Aren't they still shipping with an unusable shell holder? 
Sincerely,

Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 01:36:02 PM »
Hobie,

I'll agree with you, Lee does some strange things from time to time.  As for their shell holders, they make good fishing weights.

Have you measured the head diameter on the Jamison brass?  I have never seen any of the run that they made and would be interested in just what dimension they came up with for their production.

Thanks.

HHW

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 01:59:40 PM »
I haven't been able to get any Jamison brass.   :(
Sincerely,

Hobie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com