Author Topic: New Faux Ivory grips  (Read 2147 times)

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
New Faux Ivory grips
« on: May 03, 2022, 08:11:16 PM »
My main match '51 & '61 .38 conversions have been wearing Bar-S Tru-Ivory grips for the last couple years, borrowed from my engraved conversions which have been semi-retired due to very light triggers.  Well, those engraved guns are at a gunsmith getting the triggers re-done and will get back into action hopefully soon with those Tru-Ivory grips.  So I got some 'MagnaTusk' (some kind of synthetic material) grips from Arizona Custom Grips for the other conversions.  First I got one set for a '60 Type II .44 Cimarron that I had changed from Army to Navy grips.  I figured that if I liked the grip, I would order more for the pair of .38 conversions.   

Googling AZ Custom grips got some pics of some guns on another site with REALLY thin grips.  Too thin for some, but I like them thin for my smaller hands.  So I ordered a set for the .44 and told them I would like them thin.  They are VERY thin and I like them!  So I ordered and just today installed two more sets on my main match pair.  Those have a small swell toward the bottom, and I like them even better.  My Tru-Ivory grips were made "thinner, like 1st gen Colt" by request.  Measuring these new grips, as installed, shows that the widest part of the grip is almost exactly the same width as the Tru-Ivory (~1.37") so that was cool!

A very nice thing about these is that they required no fitting at all, just gluing in the center spacer.  Is the fit perfect?  No, but very close, and totally acceptable to me.  AZ Custom Grips does offer a fitting service, but that was not needed (nor was the expense of shipping guns!). The first grip, on the .44, is a tiny bit long on the bottom. That is most notable in the bottom rear corner, and I might sand down those corners slightly.  The two newer sets are both a tiny bit undersized at the very bottom corners, so a little brass shows in those corners.  Now, there WAS an issue regarding two different Uberti Navy Grip Frame sizes, but I am going to make a separate post about that with an appropriate title since it may be helpful to others.

Pics show the difference in thickness, plus a comparison of one of the newer grips with the Tru-Ivory grip, which was ordered as "slightly aged."  The color of the AZ grips is white, although the lighting in the room makes them look perhaps a little darker.  I don't think they will get darker with age.  They do have very yellow color available, but that was too yellow for me.

The price per set was approximately $90 with shipping, and they came fast.  Arizona Custom Grips sells only on ebay, but they can be contacted at AZCustomgrips@gmail.com

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
Re: New Faux Ivory grips
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »
I must make a correction.  I said the grips are white, but they aren't.  They just look white compared to the "slightly aged" Tru-Ivory.  Compared to something that is actually white, the color appears to be...wait for it...ivory! 

Also, one criticism.  The spacers are just slightly too narrow.  Gluing the spacer directly to one panel leaves a little gap on the other side, so a bigger bead of epoxy is required.  On two of the three grip sets one of the panels popped off the next day and needed more epoxy added.  The set on the .44 has been fine for several matches after re-gluing, and I expect the newer ones to be fine as well after regluing one of them.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 02:24:41 PM »
Love the engraving on the grip frame.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:57:54 AM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 08:32:33 PM »
Does the AZ grips have grain like some real ivory?
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 10:11:39 PM »

No grain. I don't know if their heavily aged styles show grain or not.  My Tru-Ivory grips show grain but they are out of business.  There is another guy on ebay from whom I've bought some fake ivory 1911 grips that do have some grain and are reminiscent of the Tru-Ivory, but unfortunately that guy makes stuff for Rugers only but not Colt style.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »

:)  Abilene  ;)

Those Faux Ivory are actually truly Atrocious.  Would that they would fit my Pietta based conversions, I would be willing to save you the embarrassment of having them seen in public.  :o ::)

People are still Contagious.  Avoid 'Em

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 01:17:40 PM »
No grain. I don't know if their heavily aged styles show grain or not.  My Tru-Ivory grips show grain but they are out of business.  There is another guy on ebay from whom I've bought some fake ivory 1911 grips that do have some grain and are reminiscent of the Tru-Ivory, but unfortunately that guy makes stuff for Rugers only but not Colt style.

Thanks for the reply. Good looking grips.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 09:01:09 PM »
No grain and their aging is painted on. They're okay for what they are but their marketing gets a little carried away.

SASS #81,827

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 11:47:05 PM »
No grain and their aging is painted on. They're okay for what they are but their marketing gets a little carried away.

yeah, agree on the marketing.  Good to know about the aged grips.  I didn't care for the color, anyway.  The choices are "new" and "heavily aged" I guess.  If they had a slightly aged I might have opted for that.  And now knowing that they paint on the finish, I don't know why they don't have a slightly aged.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 10:34:17 AM »
I'm thinking about buying another set and trying to age them myself. Something soaked in, rather than painted on.
SASS #81,827

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 06:20:34 PM »
Do have to work them to fit? I got grips for one of my Richards conversions and they need a lot of work to fit them. Don't feel comfortable to do the work. Can't find anyone local that has done it before. My grips came from gripmaker.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
Pappy, I did no fitting.  They are not perfect but quite good.   Is your Richards an ASM or a Type II from Uberti?  If ASM, it might be a little different shape than others and need more fitting.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 11:17:13 PM »
Not ASM. It is also an Uberti from Cimarron

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 11:57:08 PM »
Not ASM. It is also an Uberti from Cimarron
Well, my experience with their Navy grips has been good.  Hopefully their Army grips would be as good.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 01:47:31 AM »
I soaked mine in walnut dye overnight and they did seem to take it. It's not very deep but it's there.
SASS #81,827

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 10:32:57 AM »
I soaked mine in walnut dye overnight and they did seem to take it. It's not very deep but it's there.

Pics?

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »
Pics?
I'll try to snap some this afternoon. I think they're too brown but it's a good indication of what spirit-based leather dye will do. Probably should've used London Tan but the walnut was easier.
SASS #81,827

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2022, 05:30:33 PM »
When I dyed walnut grips with dye, there were some darker areas I lightened with 0000 steel wool. I don't think dye penetrates very deep into walnut. You might be able to lighten the brown that way.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 09:39:33 AM »
I should be able to rub it back until it looks more natural. Maybe.

I never made it to the shop yesterday but I'm spending the rest of the day out there today. More later.....
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com