Author Topic: April showers and fresh coffee  (Read 18464 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
April showers and fresh coffee
« on: April 01, 2021, 03:35:46 AM »
can't fool ya ! it's April and a new thread to navigate.

Suppose to rain and cool down, high for Friday will be 64°
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: April showers and fresh coffee
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 07:36:01 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

'Tis 13 and sunny. High of 43.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »
Weather turned downward overnight!
We received a foot and a half of snow. I had been using the propane weed burner around the garden fencing to get rid of weeds sprouting up between the two layers of wire fencing just yesterday . . .Glad I hadn't put it away. It came in handy to melt off that 20" of snow on the driveway.

Fortunately the daughter was able to get her car out and drive to work through that two foot of snow.

And here the daffodils were all pretty in bloom along the south of the house. Now they're all crushed under that three feet of snow.

But that's how the weather goes here in Nebraska. One day it's in the mid-70's and the next there's 4 foot of snow on the ground, like today.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:36:41 PM »

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 08:26:46 AM »
Morning all.

35 and clear as of 7am in Missoula. Supposed to get up to 50. Yesterday we had a couple inches of snow, so I’m not sure if I believe that.

So far this week,  I’ve clocked 34 hours, with another 16 coming in at least. Will be a decent paycheck.

And interesting happening at work yesterday. I was sitting on a bench outside of a truck stop eating lunch, and was approached by a very rotund fellow. Our conversation went like this:

Him: do you have a CDL

Me: yes, why?

Him: so you think you’re better than me.

Me, always ready to crack wise: yes, next question.

Him: well I’ve been an over the road driver for 4 years. And I’m a veteran.

Me: I am also a veteran.

At this point he left and then laid on his air horn when he drove past me. I’m not really sure what to make of this interaction, but it was entertaining in the very least.
—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »
I'd of told him I'm better than him because I don't go around asking stupid questions. ::)

Getting ready to run errands, the minority of them our errands, what ever, SIL in nursing home needs stuff, Rita's friends daughter has to go get shit out of totaled car, BIL needs groceries, he is not a shopper, fine, we have to go to get teenager supplies.   I need cashews but would survive, oh get a case of this Vitamin drink on sale at Cosco for niece.  No big deal, they all have done stuff for us when we need it.   Wife has been on the phone, getting dressed now, decided to have another cup.   Oh good her phone is ringing again. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 12:54:16 PM »
I'd of told him I'm better than him because I don't go around asking stupid questions. ::)

Getting ready to run errands, the minority of them our errands, what ever, SIL in nursing home needs stuff, Rita's friends daughter has to go get shit out of totaled car, BIL needs groceries, he is not a shopper, fine, we have to go to get teenager supplies.   I need cashews but would survive, oh get a case of this Vitamin drink on sale at Cosco for niece.  No big deal, they all have done stuff for us when we need it.   Wife has been on the phone, getting dressed now, decided to have another cup.   Oh good her phone is ringing again. ;D

Thank goodness you got an early start . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
"if " asked that loaded question   ???

" you think you are better than me ? "

My response would be.... "NO I don't think that at all ............ I know it !

Some asshats just live for confrontation and strife
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 08:10:41 PM »
Thank goodness you got an early start . . .

Just got home, was home once and unloaded groceries, we don't really hurry, side stop produced a nice brisket samwhich and some fine catfish, Riley is enjoying some sweet tater fries with ranch, he don't like regular ones no matter what's on it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »
Your dog should never eat better than you do.

It sends the wrong message to the rest of the family.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 05:00:41 AM »
Morning all.

35 and clear as of 7am in Missoula. Supposed to get up to 50. Yesterday we had a couple inches of snow, so I’m not sure if I believe that.

So far this week,  I’ve clocked 34 hours, with another 16 coming in at least. Will be a decent paycheck.

And interesting happening at work yesterday. I was sitting on a bench outside of a truck stop eating lunch, and was approached by a very rotund fellow. Our conversation went like this:

Him: do you have a CDL

Me: yes, why?

Him: so you think you’re better than me.

—TK

My first thought:

"Well my Fine fellow...
I never met you before, and so I don't know you at all.
How could I ossibly have any opinion of you?"

My second thought:
"And you don't know me from Adam....
For all you know I am a serial killer looking for my next new friend..."

I guess I'm goin' to hell after all.

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 06:10:18 AM »
We buy all of our meats, fish and produce from a local Amish Market. We especially like their steaks, country ribs, Salmon and Cod, Their produce is always fresh. It's only a 1/2 drive and we save quite a bit of money shopping there. It reminds me of the old fashioned markets my parents used to shop at in the 40's and 50's.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 07:17:37 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

'Tis 13 and sunny. High of 52.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

'Tis 53 and sunny. High of 69.

Slim

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »
Morning all, and thanks for the coffee. I need it today.

Weather is 35 and sunny, and expected to run up to 70. We’ll see if it makes it.

Plans for today include setting up the printer so I can print my temporary license plates and the form for the metal plates. I will say, it is much cheaper here than in California. Ca wanted $280/yr for my 1995 Ford. In MT the temps were $21, and my permanent plates will be $87.

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »
Going to take Easter stuff to granddaughter today, may find some sausage too, I know a place. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 11:45:41 AM »
Coloring eggs here.

Slim

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
Just got back from the store and could not find a roll of Canadian Bacon for my Eggs Benedict tomorrow for brunch.

All they had were pre-sliced thins packaged like deli meat. I asked the butcher and he said he's never seen it packaged in a log like that. I said that it needed to be thick sliced for good Eggs Benedict, at least 1/2" to 3/4". He looked at me like he was viewing a dinosaur of some kind.

My Mom had a deep pan with an insert that fit four shallow cups to poach eggs in. I wished I had not sent hers to the Goodwill when we cleaned out the kitchen stuff, as I could not find one to save my soul. I bought oven-safe custard ramekins and will put them in a covered roaster pan with water on the bottom as a makeshift solution.

Eggs Benedict along with steamed asparagus, all smothered in Hollandaise sauce. Chopped fresh fruit on the side. Cookies decorated by daughter and grandson for desert.
Happy Easter Everyone!

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 09:03:26 PM »
John, next time ask if he has a cured pork loin, I've noticed that is showing up in some of the renaming and rearranging meats cuts and their value.  Other countries ask for back bacon, we're the only place that calls it Canadian.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 09:26:16 PM »
Thanks Glen,
you are my go-to-guy for culinary research, translating archaic recipe requirements into modern availability.

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 10:16:10 PM »
Evening Y'all, This has been a week from hell as far as cars are concerned. I was replacing the rear brakes on my wifes 300 c and one of the caliper slider bolts was frozen, called a buddy up to see if I could use his torches and he was out of gas and O2 for them. I call the parts suppliers around and found the part I needed in a town about 18 miles from me. I drive there and get the part, bring it home only to find out it's for solid rotor cars, not vented performance rotors. I end up taking the bracket off my Magnum and order the correct part from Rock Auto, because she needs her car for work. I get the part in, it's correct and I'm replacing the front brakes on my car and what do I find> Yup, a frozen caliper slider. I call around and find the part, Giving them the number off the bracket so they can cross reference it and they say yup, we have it. I go to pick it up and some young female waits on me, I give her the part number and she says "My computer says this isn't the right part.after explaining to her that the part number was cross referenced to the one I gave her she insists it's wrong and besides they didn't have it in stock anyway. I have her order the part and it comes in the next day,I take the old part with me because there is a core charge on it and it doesn't match. The girl isn't there so I can't yell at her.Told the guy the story about her and he says "Yeah, she does that a lot"Anyway, He tells me he has a loaded caliper at his other store and he'll get that and give me the bracket from it and order the correct part to replace it when in comes in  later in the week.Get that part home and the mounting holes which are threaded are 1/2 inch instead of 7/16.I finally find th correct part, get my car finished and here comes my sons jeep on a flatbead, the clutch went out in it.OK, project for the weekend. A little while later, my Mom calls and says her car dies and it won't restart.I drive to where she is and try to start it after checking the belts to make sure they aren't broken and find out the battery is dead and she thinks she's out of gas. Go home, get gas and jumper cables, go back put gas in car, hook up jumpers and get nothing. Have her car towed how, charge battery and try to start it, but it doesn't sound right. Open the oil fill and look in at the valves while cranking it over, no movement.The timing belt broke, and since it's a zero clearance engine, it took out some of the valves.Now I either have to find an engine for a 16 year old car or rebuild the top end, neither prospect that I'm looking forward to.
OK, Rant over.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com