Author Topic: Cabela's sale  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Cabela's sale
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
Cabelas has a BP pistol sale and free shipping,  1851 Piettas in both .36 and .44, either 4.75" or 7.5" for $199.00!  I got one of each in .44. Doing a Kirst gated on one, and either a Hoofhearted Thuer or R&D on the other.  Doing Cowboy Chronicle articles on them.

They also have 1860 Piettas for $229 and free ship.

Promo code is "freeship"

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cabela's sale
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »
Got my 4.75' Pietta 1851 in .44 today.  The 7.5" will be here Monday or Tuesday (I ordered it the day after the 4,75")  Very slick action and a nice crisp 3 lb trigger pull.  Can't wait to get the Kirst Gated .45 cylinder. Yes, I know that the 1851 was never made in .44.  I just think the octagonal barrel will go great with my 1860 Henry, especially with a Kirst gated and the 1851 ejector rod.  I  also wanted something a little different from my 1860 Type II Richards.

I have contacted Gary (Hoofhearted) about a Thuer conversion cylinder for the 7.5"  I want to do a CC article on the Thuer, which was actually the first Colt metallic cartridge conversion.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline smokin6

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:42:50 AM »
they have some great sales!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:28:42 AM »

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:08:03 PM »
Got my 4.75' Pietta 1851 in .44 today.  The 7.5" will be here Monday or Tuesday (I ordered it the day after the 4,75")  Very slick action and a nice crisp 3 lb trigger pull.  Can't wait to get the Kirst Gated .45 cylinder. Yes, I know that the 1851 was never made in .44.  I just think the octagonal barrel will go great with my 1860 Henry, especially with a Kirst gated and the 1851 ejector rod.  I  also wanted something a little different from my 1860 Type II Richards.

I have contacted Gary (Hoofhearted) about a Thuer conversion cylinder for the 7.5"  I want to do a CC article on the Thuer, which was actually the first Colt metallic cartridge conversion.

Gary's Thuer conversion is far and away from the Colt original .

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:28:15 PM »
Gary's Thuer conversion is far and away from the Colt original .

It has to be to shoot .45 Colt! LOL
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
It definitely would have to be different in order to shoot rimmed cartridges right?

Am I correct in thinking the original Thuer used a special tapered cartridge that had to basically be wedged into the cylinder?
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:47:28 PM »
It definitely would have to be different in order to shoot rimmed cartridges right?

Am I correct in thinking the original Thuer used a special tapered cartridge that had to basically be wedged into the cylinder?

Yes.  With the rammer.  And very cool way of ejecting empties out the front.  Just wasn't real practical and sometimes the rounds came loose.

Someday I will dig out my pics of the Uberti Thuer cylinder and post them.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »
With Gary's Thuer conversions, he uses the Kirst style of split cylinder. The back plate has a single firing pin and the cartridge front cylinder revolves around the back plate, via the extended ratchet teeth. Because of this short cylinder a full length 45 Colt round is to long for the short cylinder. If used one must use bullets in the 160-180 gr. size. I had my conversion chambers reamed for the 45 Schofield case. I shoot 200 gr. round nose bullets in the piece.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Yep, I only shoot .45 Schofield with 200 grain bullets in my conversions.  Walt Kirst told me a couple weeks ago that he originally had planned on marketing the Kirst Konverter for .45 Schofield only to prevent disgruntles shooters using to long OAL .45 Colts.

Sometimes I load a 200 grain hollow base .45 ACP round nose.  It is a dead ringer of the .44 Colt cartridge with its .454" heeled bullet. The middle is one of my round nose .45 Schofield loads.  Outside are .44 Colt.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
There is a lot of miss information stated here as conjecture……
Reach out to me anytime to hear it from the source:
buckaroobarnes@yahoo.com
If there is misinformation in this thread, why don't you correct it here?

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 03:10:42 PM »
Not to start any type of argument here or want to get into the middle of one, since I was not involved earlier postings but....
1. Why wait 4 years to post a dissenting comment?
2. If you do have differing information, why not present it?  Maybe your information would influence others like me to look loser at your products and I am certain - your hard work.

A Thuer conversion has always been of interest to me, next to the Richards 1st Model.  Could never mechanically figure how anyone could build such an intricate device.  But because of its intricacies and apparent delicacy of parts, I did not pursue it.

So please elaborate for us, who have never seen in person or upclose, the info you can share.

Thanks, BRS
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com