Author Topic: A night of sleep wasted.  (Read 34780 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A night of sleep wasted.
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »
I woke up a bit after 3:00 AM to day and before I went back to sleep somewhere after 6:00 I wrestled with a problem.  Maybe someone out there can help me.

ash
bash
brash
cash
clash
crash
dash
flash
gash
gnash
hash
lash
mash
rash
sash
slash
smash
splash
stash
trash

all have an a sound that rhymes with the a in cannon and battle.

So why does wash have an a sound that rhymes with bottle and waddle?

I gotta get some sleep tonight.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: A night of sleep wasted.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »
Leave it to you to ponder the the deeper mysteries of life, 40 ::) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
It rhymes with squash too Forty, mebbe that's cuz if ya sqash somethin an git it on yer clothes then ya gotta wash em!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:25 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
I hate when my mind gets stuck on some trivial crap like that and won't shut down so I can sleep.  I almost wish I hadn't given up drinking...but I ain't going back there.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:57:04 AM »
Forty, That's a lot of information to pass through my feeble mind this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night either. I always put on some war movies on my 5 disc DVD player and that puts me right to sleep.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 08:12:07 AM »
IT'S Enghish...don't need no stinkin reason  .... RE -son a is silent  :o
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »
IT'S Enghish...don't need no stinkin reason  .... RE -son a is silent  :o

ah-men!

me thinks Forty Rod, makes these post just to stir the pot some....
Mathew 5.9

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
What is the definition of the word to end the puzzle?  What is the point?  Illuminate us on the end game an mebbe help will come. 
Or we'll  just turn this thead into the usual firey pit.

Or try this...

Vash

Vash may refer to:

•"VASH", an acronym for a class of high performance submersible marine vehicles: Variable Attitude Submersible Hydrofoil, first examples are referred to as "Bionic Dolphins". Patented in 1992 by Thomas Rowe; U.S. pat.5237952. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_dolphin
•Vash (Star Trek), a corrupt archaeologist on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
•Vash the Stampede, the main character in the anime Trigun
•Vash, one of the younger gods in David Eddings' The Dreamers (book series)
•vash (ваш), the plural form of "yours" in Bulgarian, Russian and other languages

Geez, I gotta do everthin around here.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:53:10 PM »
The point is that there ain't no point...and no end until my mind gets focusing on something else.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:33:13 AM »
what was that just run thru here?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »
The point is that there ain't no point...and no end until my mind gets focusing on something else.

Look, a SQUIRREL!!!!!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »
Look, a SQUIRREL!!!!!

If there aint no point what is your mind tryin ta figger out.  All we know is ya got a list a words that ryme alphabeticly but not oll foneticaly ;D  If some president hadn't written oll korrect nobody would be sayin OK er okey dokey these days.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
If some president hadn't written oll korrect nobody would be sayin OK er okey dokey these days.

Actually -- and all kidding aside -- there is good evidence that "O.K." comes from the Choctaw exclamation hoke! (pronounced ho-KAY), meaning good or very good.  Before he became President, Andrew Jackson spent many years in command of forces in the Southeast.  The Choctaw were consistent allies,particularly against the Creek Nation and later the British.  Ol' Hick'ry spent a lot of time with Chief Moshulatubbee. Hoke! was one of  Moshulatubbee's favorite expressions, particularly when he was thinking, pleased or happy.  Jackson also began using the word, although he pronounced it as "okay!"

When Jackson became President, he took the word with him to Washington, and from there it entered common English usage.

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled foolishness.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:31 PM »
The Army also used it for "zero killed" when retuning from a mission.  Likewise they would say 3 K or what not.

Roland Deschain

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »
Actually -- and all kidding aside -- there is good evidence that "O.K." comes from the Choctaw exclamation hoke! (pronounced ho-KAY), meaning good or very good.  Before he became President, Andrew Jackson spent many years in command of forces in the Southeast.  The Choctaw were consistent allies,particularly against the Creek Nation and later the British.  Ol' Hick'ry spent a lot of time with Chief Moshulatubbee. Hoke! was one of  Moshulatubbee's favorite expressions, particularly when he was thinking, pleased or happy.  Jackson also began using the word, although he pronounced it as "okay!"

When Jackson became President, he took the word with him to Washington, and from there it entered common English usage.

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled foolishness.

A funny ( to me ) little aside , with due respect 40Rod...I had a roll in a film once where I had to ad-lib some lines..It was Historical piece set in the Seminole War.
I used "OK" later thinking I had use non period verbage , I cringed.  Research showed it was period and somewhat popular to utter " OK " as I had  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 08:59:48 AM »
What is the definition of the word to end the puzzle?  What is the point?  Illuminate us on the end game an mebbe help will come. 
Or we'll  just turn this thead into the usual firey pit.

Or try this...

Vash

Vash may refer to:

•"VASH", an acronym for a class of high performance submersible marine vehicles: Variable Attitude Submersible Hydrofoil, first examples are referred to as "Bionic Dolphins". Patented in 1992 by Thomas Rowe; U.S. pat.5237952. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_dolphin
•Vash (Star Trek), a corrupt archaeologist on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
•Vash the Stampede, the main character in the anime Trigun
•Vash, one of the younger gods in David Eddings' The Dreamers (book series)
•vash (ваш), the plural form of "yours" in Bulgarian, Russian and other languages

Geez, I gotta do everthin around here.

And like you always do you messed it up big time and I have to fix yer mess. ::)

Vash

Vash is vhat Slim and other people in Visconsion do vith their clothes vhen they is dirty.  ::)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
And like you always do you messed it up big time and I have to fix yer mess. ::)

Vash

Vash is vhat Slim and other people in Visconsion do vith their clothes vhen they is dirty.  ::)
Not all of us, just the Scandahuvians.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
Not all of us, just the Scandahuvians.  ;)

Slim

But that is the clue to 40's problem, see every dang group of folks who wandered here, has added their words to the language, so it's a mixed up mongrel language.  Plus folks were doin' that before the English brought the language to America.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »
Plus folks were doin' that before the English brought the language to America.

Excuse me, but many of the early settlers (such as my own great-great-etc-grandpap) were Irish (and Scotch Scots), not english.  And the english had outlawed Gaelic, so they were forced to speak this language.
And it's still used pretty much as it was when them folks got here, and closer in accent, up in the hills of Tenn.
So if you want purity in our native language, come to the South!
 ;)
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »
But JD wern't the first English settlers so called Gentleman?  They found out the cound not make it on their own so they called up the others to do the work they wouldn't do.   ;D

"course in a few years the folks showed up in Plymouth and they talk way different up there.  Course there were French and Spanish he before the English and added their words in time. ::)  "course there was no hope, folks kept showing up and adding words or were drug here in chains and added their words.  Some of them brought a plant that gets sticky and slimy when cooked, next thing you know they are callin' clay types that get real sticky and slimy, gumbo.  Guess they could have called that clay okra. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com