Author Topic: A night of sleep wasted.  (Read 34691 times)

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A night of sleep wasted.
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
Excuse me, but many of the early settlers (such as my own great-great-etc-grandpap) were Irish (and Scotch), not english.  

I strongly suggest that no one should ever refer to a native from Scotland as "Scotch."  They'll tell you right away that Scotch is the distilled beverage; Scots are the people.

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
I strongly suggest that no one should ever refer to a native from Scotland as "Scotch."  They'll tell you right away that Scotch is the distilled beverage; Scots are the people.

Oh no!  That was a terrible gaffe! And me own mum of Scottish blood!  :o :o :o Thanks fer the correction!
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
But JD wern't the first English settlers so called Gentleman?  They found out the cound not make it on their own so they called up the others to do the work they wouldn't do.   ;D

typical of the English....

Hell, when they fought against our Revolution they had to hire Germans!
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:46:26 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
Guess they could have called that clay okra. ;D

That's some nasty stuff.... :P

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »
"Nuther example is a guy at work, from Illinois, gets up-set when I say Ill-a-noise, says it's Ill-a-noy.  Well been callin' it Ill-i-noise afore he was a wet spot on a mattress or a back seat. 

Worse thing is he's done been educated, gots him some degree in ag bizzness, but he ain't smart like a lot a folks I know that has them in that.  See he's the Tack Dept manager and don't know they are shaps, not chaps. ::)

Besides that he "interned" on a ranch in Texas when he was in college.  Never heard of anyone else internin' on a ranch, 'cept maybe an accountant. ::)  Or at least anyone else who would call it that.

Don't matter, if he don't want me to call it Ill-i-noise then they need to pass a law to get rid of the S. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
That's some nasty stuff.... :P

Both the clay and the so-called food.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
"Nuther example is a guy at work, from Illinois, gets up-set when I say Ill-a-noise, says it's Ill-a-noy.  Well been callin' it Ill-i-noise afore he was a wet spot on a mattress or a back seat.  

Worse thing is he's done been educated, gots him some degree in ag bizzness, but he ain't smart like a lot a folks I know that has them in that.  See he's the Tack Dept manager and don't know they are shaps, not chaps. ::)

Besides that he "interned" on a ranch in Texas when he was in college.  Never heard of anyone else internin' on a ranch, 'cept maybe an accountant. ::)  Or at least anyone else who would call it that.

Don't matter, if he don't want me to call it Ill-i-noise then they need to pass a law to get rid of the S. ;D

Then what are we gonna do about Are-Kansas and their spare s?  ::)  ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 11:07:16 AM »
There's worse riddles, tho. My wife ain't from hereabouts (she's foreign born). A coupla nights ago she asked me a question that took me back to 1st grade or so, and for which I never heard a satisfactory answer: why is Kansas City in Missouri (or Missoura)?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
Then what are we gonna do about Are-Kansas and their spare s?  ::)  ;D

Cans-us, don't see no spare s. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
Besides that he "interned" on a ranch in Texas when he was in college.  Never heard of anyone else internin' on a ranch, 'cept maybe an accountant. ::)  Or at least anyone else who would call it that.

you been hidin' under the chuck box too long......there's a big world out there past the field's of maise (some call it Corn)......cross the digital divide and you will see...yep they intern now on ranches...Security guards with college degrees. Got to be a computer genius to run a backhoe these days.  loosen your hatband a notch "grasshopper" and you will be enlightened
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »

you been hidin' under the chuck box too long......there's a big world out there past the field's of maise (some call it Corn)......cross the digital divide and you will see...yep they intern now on ranches...Security guards with college degrees. Got to be a computer genius to run a backhoe these days.  loosen your hatband a notch "grasshopper" and you will be enlightened

OK, should have stated this better, if you were the manager of the tack dept of the largest western store in Newbrassky and was tryin' to impress these cowboys from out in the Sandhills would you say "worked on a ranch" or "interned on a ranch?"

Trust me them cowboys get a good laugh out of the "cowboy" up-stairs and tell me about it when they're down here buyin' neck-rags and Ian Tyson music. ::)  Don't know if it impresses the horse yuppies, they don't come down and talk to me much. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
Don't know if it impresses the horse yuppies, they don't come down and talk to me much. ;D

No doubt they're sceered of ya!  :o ;D

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
There's worse riddles, tho. My wife ain't from hereabouts (she's foreign born). A coupla nights ago she asked me a question that took me back to 1st grade or so, and for which I never heard a satisfactory answer: why is Kansas City in Missouri (or Missoura)?

Kansas City is in Kansas too.  They built the place an then drew the state line right down the middle.  Only the very northern part is divided by the river, the rest of it aint.  Just a boulavard ta tell you which side yer on.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »
Speakin' of the Scotts-Irish, they are the original rednecks, another abused word.  See they were mostly Presbyterians, clergy wore red collars instead of the Cathlic white, so they were rednecks.  Then it became a word to desribe folks who worked outside and sunburned their necks.  When I was in HS, a redneck was someone who hated long hairs, blacks and other minorities, now it some cuddly poor folks from down sourth that folks make bigoted jokes about in an era I'm not allowed to tell jokes about other classes of folks. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
Kansas City is in Kansas too.  They built the place an then drew the state line right down the middle.  Only the very northern part is divided by the river, the rest of it aint.  Just a boulavard ta tell you which side yer on.

Which brings up another mystery of life:
Why did the chicken cross the road (to the MO side)?
So she could tell the little girl and dog, "Dorothy, you ain't in Kansas anymore!"

Sorry, I'm a little giddy. We got a knock on the door and there was a fedex guy, needed a signature. I was positive it was my long lost Rodeos. Who else would deliver on a Satuday, and need a signature!?  So my wife and I got over the box, slowly opened it, and it was a g.d. iron casting pot I ordered a few days ago!!! :o >:( :o  I'm still calmin' down...

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »
JD, someone's gonna be very disappointed that the box did not contain your guns.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
So, for them folks from Rogers an' Little Rock an' other places in Clinton's home state, it's not gonnas get anyone's dander up if I say AR-Kansas, with an boldly pronounced S on the back end?  HMMMM?  :o

(Sorry.  The devil made me do it.)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 02:52:30 PM »
So, for them folks from Rogers an' Little Rock an' other places in Clinton's home state, it's not gonnas get anyone's dander up if I say AR-Kansas, with an boldly pronounced S on the back end?  HMMMM?  :o

(Sorry.  The devil made me do it.)

Don't ferget Connect a cut.  Or Rhode I's Land.

Roland Deschain

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
OK, should have stated this better, if you were the manager of the tack dept of the largest western store in Newbrassky and was tryin' to impress these cowboys from out in the Sandhills would you say "worked on a ranch" or "interned on a ranch?"

those guys and gals would know even if he stated neither
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »

those guys and gals would know even if he stated neither

You mean the bird skin boots, the George Straight hat and the Cactus brand rope shirt wouldn't fool them? ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com