Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 86857 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
I would have liked to have been there for that!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
I would have liked to have been there for that!

They do it every year Pop, ya need ta take a drive up an see it sometime.  Or the Rib Cook Off.  Or the Blues Fest.  It sure is a fun town even if ya don't gamble.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »
TL
Just got started last weekend, and runs through this comin’ Sunday.  Still time to get here!  Our monthly shoot is Sunday too.  Bring you’re guns and join us.  A lot of our group will be up in Idaho for the Idaho State Championships, we'll be a nice small cozy group.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 09:17:51 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »
I just got back from San Antonio lastnight, I put about 700 milea on my pickup on that little jaunt. I need to rest my butt. I would fly up there if I came.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
Very cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQo4Xt59PU&feature=related
Isn't that serviceman Eric Fleming AKA Gil Favor on Rawhide?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »
Looked like him.............. ::) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2009, 12:03:44 PM »
Yessir, That's Mr. Favor. I can remember my Dad wearing one of those shop coats when he was Service Manager at our Ford Dealer.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
There are some cool old car ads and promo stuff over there.  Watched an 8 minute one when it was slow this morning on developing the 49 Ford.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
Tripped o’er this lookin’ for another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRHinTPu5I&feature=related

Seems I remember sumthin’ ‘bout the crank lookin’ thingys on the door panels but I can’t remember what they were for.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
Howdy folks,
Good to see other motorheads here!  ;D  A subject after my own heart (but only pre-72 or thereabouts).

At the Franklin, TN, 4th of July, before my band played, me and the missus were checkin' out the car show and ran across this:

The owner came over and started chattin'...turns out he raced these things professionally, and was a champeen driver.  I'm tryin' to remember, was it NHRA? NASCAR?  Shoot, I don't know, I'm a drag bike afficionado, not cars...

Enny way, this beaut makes the word "cherry" sound like an insult.  This thing was E-Macullate! And still on the road. And still fast as sh-t through a goose!

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »
(That's the owner/driver, above, and my beeyootiful wife, below)

Figgered out what it is, yet?

It's a '51 Hudson Hornet!

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »
Yep, Them Hudson Hornets dominated the Nascar races in 51,52, and 53. Marshall Teague and Herb Thomas were the two main drivers.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »

Low center of gravity, 308 CID Flat Head in-line six, dual carburetors 170 Hp from the factory. Very low center of gravity, lower than any other on the market at the time.

Guy I knew in HS had one he was restoring, ran into him at a stop light one night in my 49 Ford V8, walked away from me like I was standing still.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2009, 07:49:57 AM »
I would love to have one of those old Hudson's like that and restore to look one of the old Nascar cars.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
Del, I don't ever remember seeing that commerical in 68. The big thing with the 68 was the rubber front bumper. I wish I still had my 66 GTO.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
I saw a 68 Charger this evening.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »
Those 68 Chargers looked fast, just sitting still. I love the Superbirds and the Dodge Daytonas with the wings.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:42 AM »
A good friend of mine got a Dodge Challenger R/T in '70.  That was one of the wickedest muscle cars ever made.  I can't remember whether it had a 383 or a 440 magnum, but it had so much pent-up fury, you could chirp the tires every time you started from a stop, unless you were real careful.  And if you just stomped the gas, it wouldn't even move, just throw out a thunderhead of smoke and screamin' rubber!!  :o 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com