Author Topic: lever action battle rifle  (Read 4213 times)

Offline voodoo child

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
lever action battle rifle
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »
this is just a thought but maybe there should be a seperate class 4 mil spec lever actions     make the rules the same as the battle rifle class but restrict it 2 rifles with sling swivles/saddle rings & full length forends that have multiple barrel bands(orjust 1 if its a carbine)  with the exception of henrys (wich have no forend).

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
Re: lever action battle rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »
Henry.

'66 musket.  Turkish contract, used to great effect at PLEVNA.

'73.   Spanish contract of 1879 for muskets and fullstock carbines.  (These carbines were the obvious predecessors to the '76 NWMP carbine; - hence the "Spanish metre" rear sight.)  I believe that the Hawaiian military, before annexation, used '73's?

'76 NWMP carbine.

'95 Russian contract in 7.62 X 54 R  (WWI era)

Win '94 and Marlin 336 in .30-30 used to equip the Canadian Rangers in WWII.  I have a Win 1894 properly marked with the "C-Broad arrow", but restocked.

Thats all I can think of.  There are probably a lot more.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline voodoo child

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
'95 winchester carbine & the '99 savage musket & carbine are the only other ones i Know of     & if they made this class someone shooting with 1 of these rifles would not be limited 2 SA revolvers as there handgun.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:44:21 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
Henry, 66, 73 - Scout class rifles.  Does not mean you are a scout, it means short caliber, lever action, tube fed rifle class.

76, W94, 336. - Militia class

W95 - Milspec Smokeless repeater when in military configuration, Militia if not.   

Both Militia and Milspec classes are allowed Appropriate Military configuration handguns.

Its all here:   http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,17271.0.html

If the 99 Savage was ever adopted for use by any military either as a primary or secondary arm, I would like to know about it.  As of now its a Militia weapon.  I know about the 800 for the Montreal Home Guard.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline voodoo child

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:47:49 AM »
there was both a musket & military carbine version offered by savage & i believe they may have seen some use in the phillipeans or with  various state units.    but i was thinking there should be a class 4 the milspec ones or @ least would allow someone 2 use a hand gun other than the single action revolvers that the scout class is limited 2.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »
As said, the Militia class allows the use of Non Single Action handguns. 

No Savage 99 was ever adopted by any State Unit, nor saw action in the Phillipines.  The only non short caliber lever action ever adopted as Milspec to my knowledge was the Winchester 95.  It was adopted but never issued by the US in 1898, and by the Russians in 1915. 

One of the oddities of 19th century gun making was the manufacture of "Musket" and "Carbine" style weapons for private purchase.  It was both a look that many liked in a weapon, as well as an attempt to market "Off the Shelf" weapons to Goverments.  Most were never adopted as such.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:55:02 PM »
Sgt. Drydock;  The NWMP and its successors always considered themselves as military, until at least WWII. Initially the name proposed was the Northwest Mounted Rifles, and early uniforms were rifle-green.  It was changed to "police" for fear of offending our kindly neighbours to the South.

Artillery was included in their establishment from the beginning.  A 9 Pounder was used during the Riel Rebellion in Saskatchewan in 1885.  In 1897, a 7 Pounder mountain gun was used during the 3-day siege resulting in the death of Almighty Voice.

Machine guns, Maxim and Nordenfeldt, were deployed in the Klondike, 1898 to 1900, and held in stores much longer.  Lewis guns were acquired during WWI, and only handed over to the Army in WWII.  Machine guns were deployed on riot duty in Winnipeg in 1919, and in Saskatchewan in 1931 during a penitentary riot, and 1935, to halt the "On To Ottawa" trek.

For the Boer War, the NWMP provided the cadres forming two or three Mounted Rifle contingents, Strathcona's Horse, The Royal Canadian Dragoons, and the Canadian Mounted rifles.  I say 2 or 3 contingents, as Strathcona's Horse, commanded by Sam Steele, was an Imperial regiment raised in Canada. Both the Straths and the RCD are armoured regiments in Canada's regular army.

During WWI and later during the intervention in Russia, the RNWMP provided two cavalry squadrons.

It might be debated, but the mounties had long considered themselves as military.  So, why shouldn't the NWMP carbine be considered for the military class?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline voodoo child

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
thank you 4 clearing up that point on the savage muskets i was starting 2 wonder why i saw so many different rifle with a musket variation but no real proof of issue.      the scout classes are limited 2 single action revolvers & i think its a little discrimanating 2 make those that that choose 2 shoot in the scout or forager class use only single actions why not let them use the other pistols if they want.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:51:29 PM »
Because the Scout classes are for those CAS shooters who wish to play the military game with CAS spec guns.  We do not force them to aquire Milspec weapons, but encourage them to move up to the milspec classes.  The pistol caliber lever actions are not our focus, as there are a multitude of venues for them allready.  We emphasize rifle caliber Main Battle rifles and Carbines.

The 76 is considered for a Military Class.  Militia is a Military class for Non Milspec Rifle caliber repeaters, and that is the very definition of the NWMP M1876.  It is a non Milspec lever action exposed hammer underbarrel tube magazine rifle, in a non milspec caliber.  Remember when those cadres were transfered into the formal Canadian/British military establishment, they were issued Milspec MLEs in place of their 76s. 

In any case, any class structure creates "orphans" and every one wants to play with the toys they've got.  Try to please everyone and you get a mess like the current SASS class structure.  We're not going to do that.

And I wish we had a class for artillery, but it tears up the targets something terrible.  Though some would classify Rattlesnake Jacks Martini-Henry as artillery . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com