Author Topic: SASS and GAF - again  (Read 2998 times)

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
SASS and GAF - again
« on: December 11, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
I attended the SASS Convention this last weekend.

The GAF and SASS have had a hit and miss type of relationship.  There was some initial misunderstanding between us in the beginning (they viewed us as competitors), but there have been enough of us in SASS discussing and promoting the GAF that we are no longer persona non-grata. 

This is my third Convention and I can report that I'm seeing more and more uniforms each year, not only on the convention floor but at the Ball.  This year seemed to be heavy on the Spanish-American War, with several of Col. Teddy's men wandering about.  There was also about 6 confederates that I can recall.  I myself wore 4th Cav (on the floor) and USMC (at the Ball), both of ca. 1870.

There was even one woman in a "fantasy" uniform.  She had a vest with Lt Gen stars on them, an enlisted man's red hatcord but with the crossed swords of dragoons on the crown, and an enlisted man's US belt buckle.

I chatted with seveal of these uniformed people, and told them about the GAF.  Even told Phil Spangenberger of it over a drink.

I tried to talk to Tex, but he is one busy man at the Convention, and I only managed one very brief chat (we agreed to talk again but I didn't see him again until neither of us had a moment to spare).  Guess I'll just have to send him an e-mail like I usually do.

I did get a request for the GAF to provide the color guard next year.  SASS agreed to provide the colors, but we will provide the uniformed guard (and we'll be introduced as GAF members).  Consequently, if you're planning on attending the SASS Convention next year (or were just looking for the right excuse), let me know and we'll fit you in.  I need you in uniform though.

For those who have only been to the NCOWS Muster, or the NSSA National Skirmish, there are at least three times as many vendors at the SASS Convention.  You can get clothing, hats, boots, watches, ammunition, books and magazines, and all kinds of goodies.  You can even order firearms (usually at a discount).  For the ladies, there are dressmakers, hatmakers, wigs, bags, jewelry, and related items for them.  When you're not shopping, there are seminars you can attend that discuss better shooting techniques, gunsmithing, shooting and formal clothing, and historical topics (such as "The Myth of the Gun that Won the West").

This year they also held an indoor match using wax bullets.  IT was quite popular and I'm thinking of doing it next year.

I belong to both SASS and NCOWS, and like both.  While I enjoy the historical emphasis of NCOWS, SASS provides the CAS market.  If it wasn't for SASS, we wouldn;t have these neat guns, and would have to make all of our own clothing and gear, or make do with something totally incorrect. 

If you're a SASS member, I encourage you consider the Convention.  They are a lot of fun (though they can be rough on the wallet).

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SASS and GAF - again
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:37 PM »
I'm glad to see the relationship improving.  GAF was not the only outfit to be treated like a red headed stepchild by SASS in the past.......  I think they have realized the related interests ARE related, not some kind of direct competition.

Did the Eldorado Cowboys do a shoot that weekend for the folks there for the convention or was it just the indoor shoot this time?  I like shooting out in the open desert.  It's more "cowboy" than New England  ;D

Do we get a photo of you at the ball?
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:37:25 PM »
Lou,

The only shoot this weekend was the indoor one.  I didn't see anything about the Eldorado Cowboys putting one on - or at least like they did the first couple of years by encouraging convention participants to come out and shoot on Sunday.  I made the first one 5 years ago and had a good time. 

Some folks took some photos of me and when they send them to me, I'll try and post one or two.  Heck, I might even show up in the CC in a month or two.

GAF can work with SASS, just as we work with NCOWS.  We just have do do each differently. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:14:18 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:44:32 PM »
 :o   
I musta missed any earlier SASS vs GAF opposition.
Around here, GAF troops shootin' in uniforms & Color guards, etc have been more'n welcome at matches. 
In fact we have been asked to show up.

I sure hope there ain't no animosity a-growin'.  I really enjoy both (even at the same time).   ;D

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:31:49 AM »
Back in the very early days of GAF, we volunteered to do color guards at EOT and other major SASS events.  For some reason, they thought we were creating a competitive organization to SASS and gave us a very cold shoulder.  I can only assume that since SASS gets beat up by a number of dissatisfied members (usually new joins who want to change it as soon as they send in their annual fee), they thought we were trying to set up an alternate C/WAS organization.

Since then, after providing many color guards (which you have been greatly instrumental in setting the example) and having our members show up at matches in uniform and chatting about GAF, they realize we are not competing for their members and the relationship has gradually improved.  NCOWS has never had an issue with us.

This is one reason why I want to see the Musters be similar to, but distinct from, typical C/WAS matches.  I see GAF providing a supplemental venue in support of SASS (and NCOWS), rather than a competing one.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:51:44 AM »
Just so every one is aware, we (Captian Jarrett, Captain Save Your Bacon and Myself) did do a Color Guard for End Of Trail 2 years ago.  Captain Jarrett Commanding....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »
And, SASS has asked us to provide the Color Guard at next year's Convention.  Compared to what we encountered a few years ago, we have come a long way in establishing a working relationship with SASS.

SASS realizes the GAF is not a "threat" but offers a supplemental venue within SASS for cowboy action shooters who want to dress up in a military uniform when the shoot/socialize.

I would hope that eventually they will come to the GAF first when they need a color guard or some similar type of 19th century military presence.  We're cheap and we provide some period military color to their events. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 09:52:12 AM »
And, SASS has asked us to provide the Color Guard at next year's Convention.  Compared to what we encountered a few years ago, we have come a long way in establishing a working relationship with SASS.

SASS realizes the GAF is not a "threat" but offers a supplemental venue within SASS for cowboy action shooters who want to dress up in a military uniform when the shoot/socialize.

I would hope that eventually they will come to the GAF first when they need a color guard or some similar type of 19th century military presence.  We're cheap and we provide some period military color to their events. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

We're not just cheap, we're easy too!   ;)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 06:15:15 PM »
Speak for yourself Major Matt  I aint easy or cheap.  Well not all the time. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com