Author Topic: Repro..97??  (Read 3717 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Repro..97??
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
How many different companies made/make  reproductions of the Winchester 97?..And which are the ones to buy,,,and which one should a person avoid?

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Repro..97??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
I've gotten good service out of my Norinco 97 Trench gun (Wild Bunch) but it's not my main match sg. I switch between a mismatched Winchester 97 and non sass legal Marlins. Don't have any experience with any other 97s.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
I also have a Norinco 97. I only use it for for Wild Bunch matches. After a bit of work by our club's Gunsmith it has been been a reliable firearm.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:37:07 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 11:43:22 AM »
Then there is the TTN / Cimarron.  A little different than other Chinese guns, has screw-in choke, chrome lined barrel, standard Winchester screw sizes, and a rubber buttpad.  They have been made in a couple of different factories.  I have a good one (so far) but quality is iffy in general.  Some gunsmiths don't want to work on them.  They are currently available from Cimarron.

Norinco hasn't been imported for a number of years.  Most imports over the last number of years (and currently) are IAC, and that is what a lot of folks are shooting that don't have the older Norinco.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
I haven't personally played with a '97 for about 8 - 10 years.  Personal reasons, I just didn't see them as being "Cowboy."  Fowling that caveat, the Norinco guns from the last couple of years of their production were pretty good guns.  Norinco is now on a federal import ban so there aren't any new guns or parts.  IAC marketed nice guns.  I haven't any personal experience with the TTN/Cimarron '97 so I won't comment.  HOWEVER:

Best bet is an original Winchester that hasn't been buggered up.  Winchester only made about a million and a half of them so there are still a bunch still out there hiding in folks closets.  Baring that, I'd go with the Cimarron.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
a coupla years ago, I pick up an I.A.C. Trench gun,  the idea at the time was venture into Wild Bunch ....
The gun had been purchased buy a Gun Shop partner for his own ,
but he was shortly there after involve in personal domestic litigations.
His collection had to be sold, so the Shop ( my favorite FFL ) put several pieces for the collection on consignment...
I wound up with 3 or four of his unfired acquisitions .... this one for $400 NIB.

I installed a Wild Bodie Tom designed 6-round conversion kit,  Per Coffin Maker's suggestion. Inspected and smoothed a few burrs .
 Has the desirable 06 serial number.
Works a champ ....and being a Trench gun not legal for CAS ...ain't Cowboy anyway  ::)
I did not get hurt  ;) even though Wild Bunch went belly up in these parts...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com