Author Topic: Spencer shotgun help  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Gmonarch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer shotgun help
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:04 PM »
I purchased a Spencer pump shotgun. Has the number 648 stamped in bottom where you load shells. Also has the name Fred Holmqwist stamped on top of gun. Anyway of tracing this back to Fred Holmqwist. What is the value of this gun. When was it built I don?t see any other numbers on it. Any help would be appreciated. I can?t add pic it says file is to big.

Offline Gmonarch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spencer shotgun help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
Can someone tell me how to post pics from a iPad.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
GM: Cool shotgun. I have seen a few over the years but never owned one. I am no Ipad guru so would suggest you upload your photos to a hosting service such as Flicker ar Imgur and then copy and paste the URL from there to here.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:40:05 PM »

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
To post photos from an iPad , just click on the Attachments and other options wording just below the box you type your post in. Then select chose file. It should then allow you to chose the photo you want. Then select done and the photo will upload. If you want to ad more pictures just repeat. Then select post. You will probably have to resize your photos before uploading though.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 10:59:56 PM »
Is it marked as a Spencer or as a Bannerman?  Spencer production began in 1884 according to most references, ceased in 1889 when the company was sold to Bannerman.  Bannerman continued in production til 1902 (or so: I've seen an old article from 1904 saying someone was assembling a few last guns from parts). 

Remember the chamber was originally 2.5" (though some were lengthened), and the action was designed for that shell length.  Black powder only.  Every one I've seen had a damascus barrel, if you go to shoot it expect the usual lectures.  Not SASS legal.  The ones I've seen change hands lately were usually pretty beat up, and went for $200-300.     

I've owned 2 (one shooter, one parts gun) and knew another guy who shot one pretty regular (when he could keep it working).  They were a decent design, but most have seen hard use often with smokeless shells that stressed the works.  My parts gun had excessive headspace, a chipped bolt face, and the magazine hanger had been brazed back on the barrel. 

I always thought it was a nifty gun, but for a few years I was fascinated by the early repeater shotgun designs.  At one point I had a Burgess, a Spencer, the last Bannerman version of the Spencer, and '93 and '97 Winchesters.  Couldn't hit a thing with any of them, but that's just me. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com