Author Topic: WHEN IT POURS > > > IT RAINS  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
WHEN IT POURS > > > IT RAINS
« on: September 12, 2022, 01:43:45 PM »

:'(  GIMMIE A BREAK !!  :'(

Ok, ok.  First week of the month, my teenaged Dillon 650 up and died.  Now, just today, went to process the cartridges from Saturday's match.  No dice.  Nada.

Today, my 19 Year Old DV500 Vibratory Case Cleaner bit the dust.  KAPUT!!  Just sits there and "chugs."  Now, it is well and truly amortized after processing close to a Half Million cases, but them things ain't as reasonable as they use to be.  Dillion is shipping me a new CV750 (new designation) redesigned, for some remuneration of course.  But DANG!!!

Dillon also informed, I can get my dead 650 brought back to life for around 120 Bucks.  Pack it up and send it off this winter. (Mumble, Grumble, sniffle, sniffle)

THIS IS NOT A CHEAP GAME!!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
Re: WHEN IT POURS > > > IT RAINS
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 03:01:23 PM »
You aren't having the best of luck with Dillon lately!  Well, you is just spoiled (like most of us, hehe).  You could sit around the campfire with original period tools loading up your ammo and save all that money.  Of course, you wouldn't have time to do anything else.  :)

I was gifted a DV-500 (I think?) tumbler 20 years ago when the owner passed.  It died 10 years ago and no warranty from the Big Blue on electrical items.  So back to my older smaller Lyman, but it still works!  The 550  press I bought a year or two ago is from the 2nd year production and is pretty rickety but still works.  I'd like to send it in, though.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 06:46:56 PM »
Been my experience there isn't much worth doing in this life that's cheep.  Every hobby I've ever had, and there's been quite a few of them, was costly to the point of some pain.

With archery there was always a new bow to try and I always needed more arrows.  Photography required all kinds of different lenses to get even better pictures.  Practical pistol competition meant custom built 1911s and always more ammo.  I actually wore out a STAR Universal.  Could have been re-built but the company was long out of business.  That's when Dillon came into my loading room.  Black powder cartridge shooting is another passion that just flat costs money.

I think it's called life and I thank God I've been blessed to live in a country where I have the freedom to pursue these kinds of things.  The trials just make me stronger.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:03:26 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Dave T   ;)

Anna Partridge inna Pear Tree you betcha.  Burma Shave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 07:12:38 PM »

:) Mumble Grumble  ;)

And not too long after I ordered my Brandy Knew Vibrator, a Shooting friend called to say he had a lightly used Dillon 500 just sitting around.  For Cheap.  Oh Well.

People are Still Contagious.  Avoid 'Em

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4927
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 10:56:27 AM »
Yeah, my ancient 550 was grumbling yesterday as I was using it. Hopefully will get another coupla thousand rounds through it, so I can be stocked up for winter. Then I'm gonna send it in to have them refurbish it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 11:53:33 AM »
Long ago my lyman tumbler died, I replaced with a dillon.  Fast fwd maybe 15 years the dillion died.  Took in to Dillon and they replaced the motor with the new 750 motor no charge, guess when I bought the original dillon they still warranteed the tumbler.  Tried hard to pay them but could not.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 01:31:51 PM »
My biggest issue with the Dillon 650 is the plastic 'INDEXER RING".  I've broken three of them, so the second time I called Dillon, they went my three, all no charge.  Replacing them is not difficult but an annoyance.  I have found that not tightening the big screw that holds the index plate down really helps.  Other than that, my Dillon squirts out 45 Colt (both smokeless and BP), 44-40 (both smokeless and BP), and 45 ACP by the hundreds.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »
Curious if you change powder measures when you go to black powder or just empty the smokeless and dump in the black?

Dave

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1160
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 04:30:34 PM »
My biggest issue with the Dillon 650 is the plastic 'INDEXER RING".  I've broken three of them, so the second time I called Dillon, they went my three, all no charge.  Replacing them is not difficult but an annoyance.  I have found that not tightening the big screw that holds the index plate down really helps.  Other than that, my Dillon squirts out 45 Colt (both smokeless and BP), 44-40 (both smokeless and BP), and 45 ACP by the hundreds.

We should ALL contact DeaconKC and petition him to 3-D print essential parts like this.
And other parts.
And he should do it at a profit!
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1160
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 04:35:42 PM »
My Dear Coffin

Perhaps it is the ornriness of teenagers?

I have been telling folks all that this electrification is both unnecessary, problematic, and making unnecessary pacts with otherworldly entities ( ie lightning!)

I have a 50 year old ( fifty!) manual RCBS that has never failed me, and two ancient artifacts from defunct vendors ( heavy linear shotshell press and a couple “c” style rifle/pistol presses ) that are still doing fine!

I fear this electricty thing is just a passing fad, like smokeless powder.

Yhs
Prof losing his marbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com