Author Topic: 10 Gauge SG Load  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
10 Gauge SG Load
« on: December 06, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »
I posted this in the reloading section but I thought I’d post it hear too since the soot lords might have some good input.  Sorry for the double post.

I’m currently loading 12ga brass SG shells with APP and old fashioned fiber wads.  Lot’s of folks said that they use plastic wads but I like the fiber wads.  Now I’m getting a new to me 10ga SxS, also with the gun he’s selling me brass shells and a nifty looking tool to prime/de-prime.  I’m planning on using real BP not APP, so I’m asking if anyone has a good load they’d like to share.  I don’t want a mouse fart, if I’m going to shoot a big bore I want a big roar ;D but at the same time I don’t want a load that kicks like a 3 year old mule.

Thanks

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 10 Gauge SG Load
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
When I had a 10 gauge I used 90 grains of Swiss 2F. 

Offline Greg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:46:52 PM »
first off establish the chamber depth, as many early (pre 1900) had 2 5/8" chambers

I have one old 10ga shell in my collection - a UMC Co. Nitro Club; paper 2 7/8" roll crimp, top wad marked DU PONT  UMC Co.
3 1/2 - 1 1/4 - 3   with these markings I have to believe it is a Nitro Load

But the; 3 1/2 dram  - 1 1/4  ounce  is a load I would try. of course target or species will determine load particulars.. quail would be way different load than say geese or fox

1 if not 2 .135 card wad (over powder), fiber filler, maybe a .135 card to support shot,  shot, then a .050  over shot wad. elmers glue, or water glass to glue in overshot wad.  I don't roll crimp my brass case loads..

most old Black Powder authorities advised equal volumes of powder and shot then filler wad at least equal to bore diameter..
dixie catalogs used to have instructions

Circle Fly for wads

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:26:56 PM »

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 05:43:34 AM »
first off establish the chamber depth, as many early (pre 1900) had 2 5/8" chambers

I have one old 10ga shell in my collection - a UMC Co. Nitro Club; paper 2 7/8" roll crimp, top wad marked DU PONT  UMC Co.
3 1/2 - 1 1/4 - 3   with these markings I have to believe it is a Nitro Load

But the; 3 1/2 dram  - 1 1/4  ounce  is a load I would try. of course target or species will determine load particulars.. quail would be way different load than say geese or fox

1 if not 2 .135 card wad (over powder), fiber filler, maybe a .135 card to support shot,  shot, then a .050  over shot wad. elmers glue, or water glass to glue in overshot wad.  I don't roll crimp my brass case loads..

most old Black Powder authorities advised equal volumes of powder and shot then filler wad at least equal to bore diameter..
dixie catalogs used to have instructions

Circle Fly for wads

Greg - thanks I guess I should have been more precise.  The gun is from the 40’s-50’s so it’s not one of the old Damascus barrels.  I already load 12ga brass, so the physical loading won’t be an issue.  I’d be using it for knockdown targets in CAS.

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 10:44:09 PM »
I'll double post with you...

I used a 10 ga with BP for several years in Cowboy shooting, it was a hoot!  Typical 2-7/8" 10 ga shells back in the day were loaded with 1-/1/4 to 1-1/2 oz of shot and 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 drams of black.  I usually loaded 1-1/8 oz shot and a bit over 3 drams (90 grains) of FFg, basically a standard 12 gauge load, filling the space inside the cases with fiber wads.  You can certainly load more, but that much BP will definitely buck and roar plenty!

Plastic wads with black powder make some of the most disgusting gunk you will ever see thoroughly stuck all through your barrels, ask me how I know...  :P

I used Federal plastic hulls before I had some turned brass ones made; the Federals would get holes burned through them with only one or two uses.  If you are using thin wall brass hulls like the Magtech ones you will need 9 gauge wads; those are available at Track of the Wolf.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:05:00 PM »
Interesting how different use of a common language trips us up - old Aussie eyes read this and straight away downloaded "10 gauge buckshot load" - SG in capitals was always our designation for the 32 calibre buckshot - stood for Swan Grain an English hangover from previous centuries when they shot swans for meat. Had to read a couple more sentences before I figured SG meant shotgun -- which as soon as we see gauge it means shotgun

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:50:16 AM »
I load 3-1/2" brass with 2 scoops of 1F Schuetzen, 2 scoops of 7-1/2 shot, Walters nitro,2 fiber and 1 overshot wads sealed with Duco Cement in my cylinder bore AyA double. 30 years of joy.
:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com