Author Topic: Mauser C96 Broomhandle Loads  (Read 1970 times)

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
Mauser C96 Broomhandle Loads
« on: August 31, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »
My broomhandle is coming back from the gunsmith in a couple weeks and I need to have something to feed it when it arrives.  What loads do all you Mauser shooters use?  Everybody seems to be out of the Sierra 85 grain Tokarev bullet as well as the Hornady 86 grain. And I have read that the 110 carbine bullets need to be seated to far in for it to crimp properly.  Does anybody know of a lead bullet that would work.  I am not looking for something fast, just a load that will cycle the action and be fairly accurate.
Ken

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Mauser C96 Broomhandle Loads
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:50:30 PM »
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046216411  I have used these, the .313 76 grain rnfp.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010629368?pid=618190  My broomhandle really likes these.

With both I started with 3 grains of Red Dot, and went up by 10ths until I had a load that reliably cycled the action.  The springs on these can vary wildly, hard to say what your gun will like.  I use a Lee FCD, and with the latter bullet there is still about a 10th of an inch of jacket showing with the proper oal.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:39:02 PM »
For the Hunter Supply bullet do you resize them down to .309 or .308 or shoot them as is?  I am having the barrel relined so I should be pretty close to .308 bore diameter.
And they are out of stock on the Speer plinker bullets. 
My mauser has new wolf springs in it so I should be good but I will work up something that cycles the action reliably.
Thanks for the reply Drydock, it's so much fun having a new gun to play with.
Ken

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:44:28 AM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 03:46:09 AM »
As is in mine.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 06:25:30 AM »
My 2 cents worth , I was able to score both 85 G PPG & 88 G Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser FMJ , at pre pandemic prices so I moved on them...
I used them as a base line for my hand reloads .... (knowing I could not use the FMJ is a skirmish bullet )
Both the PPG & Fiocchi states it uses 5.5 grains of unknown powder
These zipped out  at around 1400 fps

My first loads were .309  90 G  Hi-tech bullets , and  Trail boss , I was seeing some tumbling and under 1300 fps....
I'm still working on my hand loads

My bullets 90 G Hi-tech bullets were from Penn Bullets.
 I placed a second order with Robert president of Penn Bullets for 90 grain .311  coated Mauser C96 bullets (along with some 180 grain .311 bullets for my 30,06 ) in late January 2021 .
Thinking a .311 bullet might stabilize in the Bolo barrel

I have yet to see my order,  a call just 3 weeks ago I spoke to Robert and he said my bullet orders were done and he'd ship them .... now September 1st and NOTHING !

Sadly , I can not recommend PENN BULLETS as as reliable supplier, only excuses and delay's so far 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
For casting I like the Lee 311-100-2R.  Crimp in the first groove.  Heavier bullet keeps the velocity down.

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »
Drydock, Thanks for the heads up on the Lee 311-100-2R mould.  With my Birthday discount at Midway it was a whopping $18.56, so when the weather cools off a bit I will head outside to do some casting. 

Major 2, What a cool Bolo Mauser!  Broomhandles are new to me but I would think the Bolo would be one of the more desirable models.  Who made the holster for your pistol?  Thanks for the reply.
Ken

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
I was very pleased with the Prvi ammo as it not only ran well, but the brass is very good quality for reloading.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 06:50:51 PM »
London Jack does excellent work! While I don't do anywhere near the amount of carving on my rigs, and one has to allow for the exchange rates between the U.S. and U.K., I think I need to raise my prices to at least half of what he charges!
www.gunfighter.com/trailrider 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 08:11:40 PM »
London Jack does excellent work! While I don't do anywhere near the amount of carving on my rigs, and one has to allow for the exchange rates between the U.S. and U.K., I think I need to raise my prices to at least half of what he charges!
www.gunfighter.com/trailrider
What beautiful stuff you have!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 05:53:26 AM »
I was very pleased with the Prvi ammo as it not only ran well, but the brass is very good quality for reloading.

I have to agree , I have both  PPG &  Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser FMJ and have reloaded the brass, some more than twice so far.

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »
The Fiocchi brand I have used before and will try and find some more.  Being in California I can't order directly so must go to a gun shop and have them order it.  The price goes up with each exchange (Maybe I will have my Arizona daughter order some for me).
The prvi brand has good reviews and will try and score some of that as well. 
When it cools off a bit (it's still 110 degrees with 80% humidity) I will cast some lead from my new Lee mould (Thanks Drydock).

On the holster front.
London Jack does beautiful work and I am sure his holsters are top notch. Trailrider's holsters and belts seem to be right up there with the best and I can't find fault with either.  I have used Old West Reproductions holsters since the 1980's and have appreciated the historical accuracy and research that goes into one of his holsters and when the Cowboy action game first started it was hard to find a correctly made holsters.  So I called Old West Reproduction and he sent me a photo of a holster that he makes for the C96, which I ordered. I am sure there are holsters as well built as Old West Reproductions but I can't see any of them being better.

The first holster is of a Mexican Revolution era holster from an auction sight that I really like for it's simplicity.
The second holster is the Old West Reproduction
The third holster is mexican made, lined, and in need of repair that a friend gave me when he heard I had a broomhandle.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »
My 2 cents worth , I was able to score both 85 G PPG & 88 G Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser FMJ , at pre pandemic prices so I moved on them...
I used them as a base line for my hand reloads .... (knowing I could not use the FMJ is a skirmish bullet )
Both the PPG & Fiocchi states it uses 5.5 grains of unknown powder
These zipped out  at around 1400 fps

My first loads were .309  90 G  Hi-tech bullets , and  Trail boss , I was seeing some tumbling and under 1300 fps....
I'm still working on my hand loads

My bullets 90 G Hi-tech bullets were from Penn Bullets.
 I placed a second order with Robert president of Penn Bullets for 90 grain .311  coated Mauser C96 bullets (along with some 180 grain .311 bullets for my 30,06 ) in late January 2021 .
Thinking a .311 bullet might stabilize in the Bolo barrel

I have yet to see my order,  a call just 3 weeks ago I spoke to Robert and he said my bullet orders were done and he'd ship them .... now September 1st and NOTHING !

Sadly , I can not recommend PENN BULLETS as as reliable supplier, only excuses and delay's so far 

Major,

Did you ever get your bullets from Penn Bullets?

Thanks
Bat
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
The Fiocchi brand I have used before and will try and find some more.  Being in California I can't order directly so must go to a gun shop and have them order it.  The price goes up with each exchange (Maybe I will have my Arizona daughter order some for me).
The prvi brand has good reviews and will try and score some of that as well. 
When it cools off a bit (it's still 110 degrees with 80% humidity) I will cast some lead from my new Lee mould (Thanks Drydock).

On the holster front.
London Jack does beautiful work and I am sure his holsters are top notch. Trailrider's holsters and belts seem to be right up there with the best and I can't find fault with either.  I have used Old West Reproductions holsters since the 1980's and have appreciated the historical accuracy and research that goes into one of his holsters and when the Cowboy action game first started it was hard to find a correctly made holsters.  So I called Old West Reproduction and he sent me a photo of a holster that he makes for the C96, which I ordered. I am sure there are holsters as well built as Old West Reproductions but I can't see any of them being better.

The first holster is of a Mexican Revolution era holster from an auction sight that I really like for it's simplicity.
The second holster is the Old West Reproduction
The third holster is mexican made, lined, and in need of repair that a friend gave me when he heard I had a broomhandle.

Rick does EXCELLENT work!  Been using some of his stuff since the '80's, and it's all beautifully made.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
Major,

Did you ever get your bullets from Penn Bullets?

Thanks
Bat

No Sir never did, I last called in Sept  , he answered the phone, he said " hang in there , he was short of help, but would coat the 90's  and get them sent that week "...NEVER HAPPENED !

I'm done,  I doubt I'll ever see them , even if I do (ever the Optimist )  I will not order from him again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com