Author Topic: EEM 1903 Springfield  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EEM 1903 Springfield
« on: August 14, 2021, 07:35:36 AM »
.....before I dive over the edge and purchase one. Are these sights acceptable or should the weapon have the open blade sight. I know the 03A3 front sight is incorrect and must be a barrel mounted sight.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: EEM 1903 Springfield
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 07:43:50 AM »
Thats the sight protector not the sight. I do not use them as they’re hard on your bluing at the muzzle. Carefully slide it off to expose the base and the open sight. 1903 is a fine rifle I’ve never shot an 03a3.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »
Thats the sight protector not the sight. I do not use them as they’re hard on your bluing at the muzzle. Carefully slide it off to expose the base and the open sight. 1903 is a fine rifle I’ve never shot an 03a3.

....thanks Ed, sorry wasn't clear, understand it's a sight protector. Then there's the receiver# issue. Although I read an interesting observation regarding this. The Krags were built using the identical process and there appear to be no concerns regarding these rifles. I have one now myself. I'm looking for an 03 but not in a great hurry. I really don't want to buy one online. Would really prefer to have one in hand and be able to examine it in person. That is becoming more difficult these days.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:15:13 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 08:23:44 AM »
Sorry about that, I then assume that you are talking about the 03a3 peep sight mounted on the recvr as opposed to the ‘03’s bbl mounted rear sight. I would think that either rifle would be ok in a BAMM but would not know if the 03a3 is an acceptable GAF rifle. Check with Drydock, he would know.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 08:39:39 AM »
.....no, I was looking at the site protector. The EEM  guidelines above specifically speak of the 03A3. I believe the things to look for are the sporterized stocks, shortened barrels and such.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »
In the mid 1980's I bought a 03A3 from a box (crate) of them in a LGS.
These were NOS or parts guns assembled and sold for $149 your choice  :o
They were sanded stocks, and mismatched parked guns but were head spaced and shot well....I allowed mine to get away.... ::)

Fast forward, to 2019 and I acquired my 03 , this was 4 times the price   
the numbers match ,  it has a scant stock and the barrel was a new 1942 and the receiver is 1938
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Whiskey Double

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 853
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »
03A3s I do know with the receiver peep site is not GAF legal because I mistakenly bought one. But as said earlier Drydock is our weapons expert and can answer any question regarding legality of a weapon for GAF.
Whiskey Double      GAF 853    Major, Chief of Staff  Div. of Iowa
NRA  life Endowment
SCI
NTA
DU
RMEF

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
.....no, I was looking at the site protector. The EEM  guidelines above specifically speak of the 03A3. I believe the things to look for are the sporterized stocks, shortened barrels and such.

The EEM firearm guidelines list  the 1903A,  not the 1903A3 with the receiver mounted rear sight.

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 07:38:07 PM »
The EEM firearm guidelines list  the 1903A,  not the 1903A3 with the receiver mounted rear sight.

B.N. Scotty

....you are correct. The 03A3 is not a GAF legal firearm, it is specifically pointed out in the EEM regs.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 08:12:43 PM »
Jerry wrote the rules for the EEM.  (I'm usually wiped out by then, and often sleep thru the EEM match) and he specified the barrel mounted sight.  He did not specify the stock type, though the full pistol grip stock is one of the defining marks of the A3 variant.  As such I believe as the rule is presently written the Scant stock can be used on a 1903 with barrel mounted sights. 

We do try to be inclusive on these things, and one of the purposes of the EEM is to enable as many folks as possible to be able to shoot this type of match with weapons many already have.  It seems most anyone with a fondness for old American military arms has a 1903 and a 1911 in their collection.  The barrel mounted sight makes for an easy definition and cut off.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »
The Type C stock (full pistol grip) is found on the M1903A1 and quite often on the M1903A4 (Sniper) - the so-called 'scant' stock is most common on the M1903A4 (receiver-mounted rear sight), while the straight stock w/finger grooves is the province of the WWI-era rifle.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 09:57:08 PM »
The scant on my Rifle is Springfield made according to the S stamped in the magazine cut off cut out.
It is my understand Springfield only made the scant stocks in 1942.
There were other makers besides Springfield, they were Keystone, American Billiard & Bowling and
Milton Bradly
Remington however, did not make scants....

I only offer this as information,  it is not my intention to argue , for or against its use for EEM
If I can well and good, if not I have a Krag and for that matter an Enfield....
In the likelihood I might get to attend a Muster one day.

But I do  tend to shoot the 03 well   :) with skirmish loads , out beyond 150 yards is something else again  :-[ as I don't

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 10:37:46 PM »
Not to worry MajorII. We shoot BAMM inside of our pistol berm at ECSASS so it’s up close and personal. A little farther out than the cas rifle targets though. Run your rifle ala mad minute style and you’ll do fine. Sounds like I’ll need to use my ‘03 with the extended mag or the ShtLE this month. At the last one of these i shot my Krag before lunch and the 03 Springfield after lunch. There are 2 other milsurp collectors/duelists who i shoot against in the club so within the broad confines of our matches we use the same gear just to compete against each other. Fun stuff.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
......this has been a great thread. Elicited some good responses and gave me some better insight on not only what to avoid but what to look for in an 03. I believe we have decided to mix the EEM into our regular Indiana GAF musters if one has or have friends that want to shoot. For me personally, I want to insure that anything I acquire will be legal, if I get to attend one of the national or neighboring states musters. On a side note, I've heard the term BAMM ( Bolt Action Military Match), is this SASS version of GAF? What are the cutoff dates for weapons, WW2/Korean era? With all the WW2 reenactors we have around here, sounds like this would be popular. I guess they're like CW reenactors, they burn powder but don't shoot live rounds?
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »
BAMM is a side match from Wild Bunch competition as ‘03s and mausers were also used in the film. We use real ammo but lead only, no steel or jacketed bullets. I think any iron sighted military boltgun is ok. A neat way to shoot old military stuff. ‘Give’em hell, Pike’ is my favorite line before the beep.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 11:51:40 AM »
BAMM is a side match from Wild Bunch competition as ‘03s and mausers were also used in the film. We use real ammo but lead only, no steel or jacketed bullets. I think any iron sighted military boltgun is ok. A neat way to shoot old military stuff. ‘Give’em hell, Pike’ is my favorite line before the beep.

.....gotcha, lead only, same as GAF & NCOWS. There are SASS clubs around here but I haven't been to any, yet......my best friend who lives about 80 miles south of me, has a SASS club local to him. He reached out to them. They invited us to come shoot with them. We haven't made it out as yet.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 12:09:44 PM »
Where’s here?
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 12:11:34 PM »
I found this on line 

Do’s and Don’ts for Bolt Action Military Match
(BAMM)

What is it? The idea behind this type of match is to get these old battle rifles out of the
safe and out to the range for some good old fashioned low-key shooting fun. This will
be an action match, in the Cowboy Action Shooting sense of the word—on the clock,
time penalties for misses, procedurals and safety violations. Stages will typically
require 10 – 15 rounds, with CAS-type scenario instructions: Nevada Sweep those
three, alternate 5 on these two, etc. At least one 5-round reload on the clock will be
required on every stage. This is not a SASS sanctioned event.
Firearms. Bolt Action Category: Any properly functioning, safe to shoot, center fire
bolt action rifle issued by any country for use as a battle rifle is welcome. Only iron
sights will be allowed. A partial list would include Springfield, Enfield, Mosin-Nagant,
Mauser, Steyr, Schmidt-Rubin, Krag-Jorgensen, Lebel-Berthier and so on. Rifles that
look “as-issued” are what we’re after. If you have a sling and bayonet, use them. No
“sporters” please.

Handguns: A military style handgun from the bolt action era will be needed. It would
be shooter’s choice of such guns as 1911s, Lugers, Broomhandles, and revolvers such
as the 1917s, Webleys, Enfields, Victory revolvers, Nagants, etc.

Ammunition. We will be shooting steel on the Cowboy Action Shooting range, so lead
bullets only will be used. Moderate muzzle velocities are a must. These rifles are
capable of good accuracy with lead cast bullets and mild powder loads. The longest
shot will be determined by the size of the range. Some as close as 10 yards. Therefore,
we have decided to adopt the SASS main match muzzle velocity maximum of 1400 fps
for rifle ammunition. Gas checks are OK. Hot loads will be disallowed at the match
director’s discretion. Handgun ammunition must be all lead, mild powder loads and
under 1000 fps.

Targets.
 Steel targets of miscellaneous shapes and sizes will be placed at varying
distances, generally 10 – 90 yards. This is an action match, not precision bullseye
shooting.

Shooting a Stage. One “Sighter Shot” will be allowed on the 1st stage and off of the
clock. We will have a timer operator/RO, spotters, brass pickers, scorekeeper, and we
will use the loading and unloading tables just like we do at a cowboy match. Rifles will
be loaded at the loading table with 5 rounds in the magazine, bolt left open, chamber
empty. Pistol magazines will be loaded but not installed, have slide open and chamber
empty. Ammo for reloads will come from the body unless otherwise specified in the
stage instructions, or unless an exception is allowed. SASS rules for moving with a
firearm will be followed. Stripper clips (chargers) are allowed and encouraged.

Costuming. There are no costuming requirements. If you have a uniform, wear it for
style points!

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 12:20:07 PM »
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »
I don't see anything pertaining to shotguns, which suits me fine, I haven't used one in years with NCOWS .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com