Author Topic: Asking for a friend, possible new shooter. No really... Expansion era guidelines  (Read 4134 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
The ideal "Lee-Enfield" bolt action rifle for GAF use - Main Match or Expansion Era - is, of course, a "Long Lee" - i.e. either a Magazine Lee-Metford (introduced 1888) or a Magazine Lee-Enfield (i895) ... or one of the carbine versions of same if you're not keen on overly lengthy rifles ...

;D

Here are my rifles - the only significant difference between the two is the pattern of rifling ...

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Sarco has Picklehalbs for under $60 I would grab one in a min if I could find a WWI era 98 mauser.  Guess I could make do with my 92 or 95 in 7 mm but one likes to be reasonably correct.  Even have a Luger pistol albeit an American Eagle Made my Mauser.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
For what it's worth, I've done an Australian Light Horse impression with an SMLE.  I don't think I have any pictures, but there may be some in some of the old threads.
Wow what kind of horse did you bring??
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
If you've seen me, you know that no self respecting horse wants to be ridden by me.  I'll just have to stay dismounted, except for our wooden horse.  (Besides, it's really difficult to find an Australian Waler here, or maybe anywhere!)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
The ideal "Lee-Enfield" bolt action rifle for GAF use - Main Match or Expansion Era - is, of course, a "Long Lee" - i.e. either a Magazine Lee-Metford (introduced 1888) or a Magazine Lee-Enfield (i895) ... or one of the carbine versions of same if you're not keen on overly lengthy rifles ...

;D

Here are my rifles - the only significant difference between the two is the pattern of rifling ...

The Long Lee is an AWESOME rifle! 

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Sarco has Picklehalbs for under $60 I would grab one in a min if I could find a WWI era 98 mauser.  Guess I could make do with my 92 or 95 in 7 mm but one likes to be reasonably correct.  Even have a Luger pistol albeit an American Eagle Made my Mauser.

The Pickelhaube was originally designed in 1842 by King Frederick William IV of Prussia.  So the 92 or 95 would both work well with the pointy headed thing.  On the other hand the Luger didn't show up until 1908, I would worry more about using either style of the Reichs revolver as a main match handgun.  If your doing an officer you could use a 1896 Mauser Broomhandle.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
You might look for a Colombian Mauser.  They're a GEW 98, but in .30-06.  You probably already load for that.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.......well, if nothing else this thread sparked some conversation. I'm just postulating here, could one participate in the EEM in pre-WW1 OG's  using a Krag and Colt SAA as a National Guardsman? Using the documented premise that has always been the plague of the NG. That they could be saddled with obsolete or unwanted Federal castoffs. I've read a couple instances where it alludes to some NG units still using Trapdoor Springfields into the 1930's.. I'm still planning on adding both a proper 03 Springfield and a post 1900's DA revolver to my arsenal in the future.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Because of the bayonet redesign, Krags remained in service until 1907/08 with the Army.  Marines kept the krag until well into 1911.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Because of the bayonet redesign, Krags remained in service until 1907/08 with the Army.  Marines kept the meat until well into 1911.

.....thanks Chuck. I didn't write it down but I recall reading somewhere. That a few Krags even made it to Europe. Those being with supply and support units far from the front. Similar to WW2, how long did the 03 Springfield remain in service with some units?
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
For some reason my phone keeps trying to substitute "meat" for "krag".

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
For some reason my phone keeps trying to substitute "meat" for "krag".

.....yes, whatever spellcheck program that they have on the newer devices is annoying. I thought I had turned it off, I was wrong. If I don't proofread everything. I look dumber than I am. Not sure some of my buddies would believe that to be possible, lol.....
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
I’ve got to get out to one of your events some day. Would enjoy seeing the picklehaubs [love a good pickle] as much as seeing the firearms. Not sure if this was a Wild Bunch match or a BAMM. My take on a Punitive Expedition outfit. Waiting for the beep. The other trooper is Chance.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
......pulled this from a militaria site. Texas NG pre 1916. The one soldier 2nd from the left appears to be carrying a Colt SAA.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yep, and in a Mexican loop holster.  I think the 2nd from the right with his hand on his revolver might be packing some form of S&W top break as well.  Most likely a New Model #3.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yep, and in a Mexican loop holster.  I think the 2nd from the right with his hand on his revolver might be packing some form of S&W top break as well.  Most likely a New Model #3.

.......the site I pulled that from, "the US Militaria forum" had like 51 pages of pre 1916 photos. Pretty much means my suspicions were correct regarding uniforms, accoutrements and arming of the fledgling National Guard prior to World War One. Though much improved, still wasn't much different than state militias of the 19th century. Looks like a generic Guard impression could be dressed in any outfit post Span Am war to current issue in 1916 or a mix of whatever combination of clothing/accoutrements/weapons were available. This is a photo they had of Indiana Guardsman, no date was available.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
didn't write it down but I recall reading somewhere. That a few Krags even made it to Europe.
IIRC A friend of mine (the guy that makes the Iron Trooper) has a photo of American troops in France carrying Krags
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Jerry, I understand, the key word being "common"! Putting together a simple outfit for the man with this Mk 3 Enfield consisting of a uniform, ammo belt, softcap/hat, easy task. If he wants, for our local matches he doesn't need it. He could choose between, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, those are the easy ones. Not wanting to start a war, lol.....do enjoy a spirited give and go! For me, the appeal was putting together the outfits with the shooting being a bonus..

Less than $100 would get him the WPG Boer War khaki uniform.  It works going forward until 1916. 
GAF#379

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Gew88 or kar88 would work.  Turked Gew88s are fairly common. 

GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
If you like the "khaki and campaign-style stetson" look of the pre-1916 US soldiers shown above, you can also pursue a similar British Empire impression, from just to the North of the Medicine Line ... as can be seen in these period photos of members of the several regiments of Canadian Mounted Rifles raised for South African service during the Boer War ... which can range from the rather natty appearance of the chaps in the studio portraits to the considerably more trail-worn look of the chaps photographed in the field ... note that each of them has the .303 Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle with which the bulk of the Canadian contingents were armed ...

And here is a group of buglers of the Royal Canadian Regiment of Infantry in South Africa ... note that they are also armed with nickel-plated .45 Colt Model 1878 Double Action revolvers, 1,001 of which had been acquired by Canada for service in the 1885 North West Rebellion ...

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com