Author Topic: Cimarron ASM Schofield Problems  (Read 7329 times)

Offline ThePainkiller

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron ASM Schofield Problems
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
I bought a Schofield from backpage and I am having several issues with it. One it misfires four chambers, the same four everyime. Looks like a light primer strike. Secondly, the action breaks open upon firing which i hear now is common to ASM. Any advice? The guy i bought it from said he lightened the hammer cocking.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Cimarron ASM Schofield Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
I would call VTI gun parts and see if you can get parts that are factory spec and replace the ones that have been modified.

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
The lighter hammer spring will cause that behavior.
See if you can swap it out with a replacement from VTI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:51:36 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
Armi San Marco's been out of business a long time.

Replacement parts are going to be difficult to find, though VTI 'may' have springs.

Maybe someone here has spares, as well.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
Howdy Pain,

I have an ASM Schofield that had a similar problem of one chamber not firing. I noticed that the primer strike was off center. A slow working of the action revealed that the offending chamber was not fully rotating into battery. Parts are hard (impossible) to find so my gunsmith and I determined that the hand was short (worn?). He carefully stretched the hand through peening. It almost completely solved the problem. Also try turning in the screw in the front of the grip to create more spring tension.

As far as opening on firing, mine has never done that, but the spring that holds the latch closed is very strong. Maybe a gunsmith can install a stiffer spring and/or adjust the engagement angles of the latch.

Reverend Chase

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:05 PM »
Unfortunately, the problem of the ASM Schofields opening on firing was due to the locking lugs on the frame being cut at the wrong angle!  >:(  About the only solution I know of would be to have a gunsmith who knows what he is doing weld them up and completely recut them to the proper angle. And I mean weld, not braise or solder. Solutions to the other problems you mentioned I will leave to those who have answered above. The ASM guns were badly manufactured. I know that Cimarron Arms sent back batch after batch back and finally gave up. That has been some years back, so, as was posted, parts are going to be tough to come by.  It's too bad because the ASM Schofields were pretty close to the originals.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
I have a gunsmith friend in Texas who had one ASM come in for repair and that is what he ended up having to do was TIG weld  and remachine the latch lug on the frame and cold blued it.  You could not tell he had done it after the gun was closed up as he matched it fairly well.  The gun has shot many hundreds maybe thousands of rounds by now as he said the friend of his that brought it to him still has it almost 10 years later and still shoots it.  He said the guy puts full house standard pressure .45 Colt loads through it and it has held up well.

Offline 45Russian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
Just curious, when the ASM guns opened on firing was this a safety risk or just a nuisance? Has anyone ever heard of a Uberti Schofield or Russian opening on firing?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:50:19 PM »
Just curious, when the ASM guns opened on firing was this a safety risk or just a nuisance? Has anyone ever heard of a Uberti Schofield or Russian opening on firing?

It it opens on firing it won't fire again until it is closed.  So, no safety risk in that sense.  However, if the rules were applied when the barrel drops it usually breaks the 170 degree plane and is technically a penalty.  Yes, Uberti made break tops are also known to open when fired.

Offline 45Russian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
So there is no risk of injury to the shooter or bystanders when the gun flies open? Im assuming the bullet is long gone, but would there be any blowback, etc. ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com