Author Topic: Shooting 38/40 in a 44/40 rifle  (Read 4235 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shooting 38/40 in a 44/40 rifle
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »
I know this is just rambling on but I never ran into anything like this before. I know there are some people who just should not shoot firearms. I had a man that was going to buy the 2 boxes of 38/40 WCF. I have and said he has a 44/40 rifle, and thought it would be okay to shoot the 38/40 in his 44/40, and he would keep the brass as he is going to buy a 38/40. I would not sell them to him and he kind of got mad, but I told him if I sold them to him why not keep the loaded rounds till he got the 38/40 rifle, and he said there was not that much difference in the two rounds. I know he knows the difference but told him anyway about .401 other than .427 or .428 and I told him yes they would chamber and fire, but the bullet would key hole, and the neck would expand to much and the cases could and most likely would split. Well he told me what I could do with the ammo and left. This guy has bought guns from me before and kind of scares me. Very unlikely he would not be hurt but I still would not have sold him the ammo. Glad I am retired and only sell though dealers.

Reno

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
Re: Shooting 38/40 in a 44/40 rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
Wow.  That is some kind of ignorance on his part.  I believe that you did the right thing to not sell to him.  I've never tried it, but I suspect that your prediction of the results he would receive are correct.  Probably he wouldn't damage his gun or himself, but it would at the very least be a waste of time and money.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »
Maybe he wants to murder someone. Forensics would be incapable of determining what was the weapon used, unless he left the brass laying around. ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:54:26 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
Actually, it it happens at a Match    :o   It can be kinda funny.  Rifle (or pistol) makes kind of a funny noise.  Lotta smoke everywhere, Blow-By is memorable.  Sorta like inadvertently firing 44-40 in a 45 Colt rifle (not that I have personal experience  ::))

But and however, to go right out and do it deliberately is just plain STUPID!!

Coffinmaker

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker, that is what I thought. This guy thinks he knows everything, but I am no preacher (no offense meant). Like, I know you have all heard every man has to know his limitations.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 192
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
I watched OlHenry miss 10 times with his revolvers at our monthly  Dare Co match. Even he didn't think he was that bad. When he got to the unloading table he went to laughing when he realized what he'd done. He caught some ribbing.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
You saved him a headache.  I have tried to reform 44-40 cases to 38-40.  It is a multiple stage process that still ends up loosing about half the brass.  Not worth the time.  Starline will gladly sell you excellent 38-40 cases that need no preparation and that last a long time.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
You saved him a headache.  I have tried to reform 44-40 cases to 38-40.  It is a multiple stage process that still ends up loosing about half the brass.  Not worth the time.  Starline will gladly sell you excellent 38-40 cases that need no preparation and that last a long time.

Done quite a few in days gone by - didnt have a problem but u right its a dumb idea when ya can buy em

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
I have fire formed .44-40 cases up to .452 for my .45 Colt rifle in an attempt to cut down blow by.
It did work, but was such a PITA to do the idea was discarded and let the blow by just blow by.
Life is really too short to sweat the small stuff like a dirty lifter.
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
I know this is just rambling on but I never ran into anything like this before. I know there are some people who just should not shoot firearms. I had a man that was going to buy the 2 boxes of 38/40 WCF. I have and said he has a 44/40 rifle, and thought it would be okay to shoot the 38/40 in his 44/40, and he would keep the brass as he is going to buy a 38/40. I would not sell them to him and he kind of got mad, but I told him if I sold them to him why not keep the loaded rounds till he got the 38/40 rifle, and he said there was not that much difference in the two rounds. I know he knows the difference but told him anyway about .401 other than .427 or .428 and I told him yes they would chamber and fire, but the bullet would key hole, and the neck would expand to much and the cases could and most likely would split. Well he told me what I could do with the ammo and left. This guy has bought guns from me before and kind of scares me. Very unlikely he would not be hurt but I still would not have sold him the ammo. Glad I am retired and only sell though dealers.

Reno

Ah My Dear Reno -
yes there are some that one wonders how they can breathe and walk simultaneously. You did the world a service, crazies do not need to be sold stuff.

These days , If he ranted like that, you would do well to lift the horn and inform the Gerndarms that a psycodoodle is on the loose.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com