Author Topic: Uberti Cattleman  (Read 1365 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Uberti Cattleman
« on: March 29, 2022, 02:08:11 PM »
Have been shooting Ruger Vaqueros Original in 44 mag at 44 Spec levels and New Model in 45colt.  Some where along the line acquired a 1873 Win Miroku 20 inch short rifle in 44-40.  Rather not wanting to shoot two different calibers in a match, Recently Ordered 2 5.5 Inch Uberti Cattlemen in 44-40 from Taylors.  One has arrived it is the movable firing pin 3 click model with the new pushbutton crossbolt holding the base pin in.  This will be my first not Cap and Ball Uberti.  Is there anything I need to watch out for?  Are you that are shooting Uberty Cattleman happy with your choice.   Will send a range report after I hit the range.  Loaded up 10 rounds each of 5 different charges from a bit below min to a bit below max for A#2 with desparado .428 bullets and starline brass CCI large pistol primers.  Will check for velocities and grouping from the pistola and rifle probably tomorrow at Ben Avery.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
Re: Uberti Cattleman
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 03:02:36 PM »
I've been shooting a Cattleman for several years now. First issue I encountered was all of the screws loosening up, but some blue loctite cured that. Only other issue is with an occasional hair trigger. Accuracy is good as I am.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 03:38:26 PM »
For my 2 cents ...I had & have several Uberti's
I had a pair of an ex-CAS shooter's, these were taken in trade and used for same.
Other than they functioned just fine, and shot well, (best testament I can give) for short time they were in my possession.
Now then for my keepers, one is or was box stock SAA BP frame 32/20 7.5 cattleman, which I sent home with Coffinmaker for his tune (NIB unturned) .... one fine shooter  :)
Shown here with my Colt 32/30

The other, is 45cal. Stainless Steel Cattleman which I acquired from Bob James with his Action Job.

Both ( actually all 3) have been flawless .  :)

However, I do not have one with the new safety hammer, nor a desire for one, opinions may vary.  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:37:18 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:06:10 PM »
Thanks guys, Have a 1 PM reservation at Ben Avery tomorrow will test the cattleman out and render a range report.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • NCOWS #: 4017
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 06:19:59 PM »
As previously stated, the screws tend to loosen and they're very soft and easy to bugger up, even with a proper screwdriver. I just ordered a complete set of hardened screws from VTI. Not as pretty as the charcoal blue but much more practical.
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 08:58:10 AM »
As previously stated, the screws tend to loosen and they're very soft and easy to bugger up, even with a proper screwdriver. I just ordered a complete set of hardened screws from VTI. Not as pretty as the charcoal blue but much more practical.

A full set of gun smith screwdrivers is also a good investment. I was amazed at how much better they fit in the screw slots. Should have done that years ago when I was doing mechanic work.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 11:39:15 AM »
The cattleman shot fine with the 5.4 grain loads groups centered 3 or 4 inches low groups stayed centered left and right as charges went up the finishing load of 6.2 grains A#2 were about 1.75 to 2 inches low but still good left and right at 10 yards.  Pretty sure for any SASS target will be hit with center hold with any of the charges.  No real noticible differences in blowback.  Virtually none with any load.  Thin brass of 44-40 seals chambers well.  Shot CCI large pistol primers all went boom in both the Miroku 73 short rifle and the Uberti.  What ever Taylors does to them if anything they will still shoot hard primers like a champ.  Will check screws when I clean it today.  30 rounds with .428 Desparado Bullets from Pinto Annie and Company thru it.  Cowboybullets.com

NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 03:55:56 PM »
I have a pair of 357 Uberti Cattleman revolvers I used for 7+ years as my main match guns in SASS. They never gave me any problem, even shooting full load BP.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com