Author Topic: Greasemonkeys  (Read 18806 times)

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Greasemonkeys
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:59:17 AM »
Hey all,

I was talking to Leo Tanner and he thought it might be a good idea to show y'all the Funnies style comic I'm working on.
It's called Greasemonkeys (TM) and it's pretty sweet.  Basically it's two best friends "shot at life" style that revolves around their "greasemonkey" style.  Most of the inspiration comes from my own shinanigans as a hot rodder and my friends as well.  It's dedicated to my late Uncle Jimmy who is actually the main inspiration for one of the characters.  The other is based off of three of my closest friends all rolled into one psychotic character! 

This first strip I'm posting is the one that gave me inspiration for the comic.  Basically the two of them working on a car (1971 Hemi 'Cuda) and how life is treating them. 

Hope you all enjoy, and please, don't copy.  It's copyrighted and I really want to see this to fruition.

thanks

Pat "Willie Dixon"

At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
Re: Greasemonkeys
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »
Willie, I can identify with your comic strip. I grew up around the automotive repair business. My Dad was a self-taught mechanic who opened a wrecking yard/garage when he returned from WW2. He was the service mgr. at our local Ford dealer. We had a parts store, a body shop, a radiator shop, and a battery/electric shop.  In 70 he was elected County Sheriff and served for 8 years before he died of Cancer.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »
The guy with the mutton chops looks like a cool character. :)
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:43:48 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »
He's prolly an Elvis fan.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
He is an elvis fan.  The one with the chops is in honor of my unlce.  He taught me everything I know about books, movies, cars... I really miss him.  I lost him when I was only 16 and he was only 49... way to young.  I sang "Only the Good Die Young" at his funeral.  Learned that song on piano just for him.

The guy with the chops also drives my uncle's car, a 1942 Super Deluxe Ford with a Mustang 5.0 and AOD tranny in it.  That tank ran 12's in the quarter!

The spazz, Sean bought a parts car off of eBay that they're working on.  I had to figure out some way a kid could afford a 1971 Hemi 'Cuda!

thanks to you guys' motivation I'll try to post up a new one every other day!

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »
Willie, I enjoyed "GreaseMonkeys" very much and I look forward to the next installments.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
thanks Tex, I'll keep them coming.  It's nice to bounce the ideas off of you guys.  I know you'll tell me the truth if you don't think it's funny or if it doesn't look right, etc.

thanks for the compliments!

also if you have any constructive criticsm please, don't hesitate to say so!  That's one of the main reasons why I'm doing this, that and letting you guys enjoy my comic!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:12:49 AM »
Your guy   with the cutoffs and flipflops might otta consider long pants and sensible shoes. I always managed to drop things on my feet from time to time so I got steel toed shoes.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »
LOL

that's part of the humor Tex, glad you caught it.  Most times I work on my cars I'm barefoot because I always wear flipflops!  Never said he was smart!  ;)
my Dad has a saying, "You gotta be tough if yer gunna be dumb!"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
Willie, I really miss those times at the garage. My Dad helped me buy my first car and taught me how to work on it. My first car was a 56 Chevy BelAir 2dr Ht.  My dad was a FORD man. We owned a shop until he got elected Sheriff and I got out of College. I was a Reserve Deputy after I got out of College and the Army. I became a regular officer in another county after that. We eitherm had race cars, sponsored race cars, or I drove reace cars  from about 1950 until 1972. I moved to D/FW in 72 and have lived there ever since.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »
When I married my first wife we moved into an apartment that had an attached garage.  The complex was originaly what they called a motor court.  I was heavy into building motorsickles then and me and my buddies would spend hours out in that garage turnin wrenches, drinkin beer an blasting rockabilly music.  One of the regular guys nicknamed it "greaseball garage" an the name stuck the whole time I lived there.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
LEO, I started goin' on wrecker calls when I was about 2. I would stand up in the seat and hold on to the collar of my Dad's coveralls. He had to go out all hours of the night and I would cry to go with him. My mom got tired of listenin' to me cryin'. My grandmother made me a pair of coveralls and sewed my name on them.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »
Had a neigbor who drove a tow truck.  Always felt bad fer the guy cause he'd work a whole shift, come home an tell me he was on call for the night.  I'd hear that deisel fire up several times throughout the night an then see him head off for another regular shift in the morning as I was on my way to work.  But I'll tell you what, his little boy sure was proud, his daddy drove a wrecker!

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »
Dad's first wrecker was one he built himself.  He took a 38 Ford 2 door and cut the back of the body off and bult a metal flat bed on the back.  the first winch was a handcrank. His first real wrecker was a 48 Ford with a Holmes bed and electric winch.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »
wow,
I'm really glad I was able to bring all these happy memories back.

Thanks for the awesome stories guys!
any chance of using "Greaseball Garage" as the nickname for the garage?  LOL  that'd be awesome.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »
My Dad taught me most of what I know about  repairing cars, he was always working when I was younger. We spent more time with each other the last 10 years of his life. He had gotten elected Sheriff and I was a Reserve.  We worked on some burglary cases when I was an officer in the Metroplex.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
wow,
I'm really glad I was able to bring all these happy memories back.

Thanks for the awesome stories guys!
any chance of using "Greaseball Garage" as the nickname for the garage?  LOL  that'd be awesome.

Feel free, it'll keep the spirit of the original alive :D

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
The spirit is alive and well.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »
I'll make sure it stays that way too Tex.  I'll load up some character design sketches later tonight!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
Willie, I'm looking forward to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com