Author Topic: My, How Time Flies...  (Read 15562 times)

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My, How Time Flies...
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 01:56:28 AM »
On another note, I've personally received flak because of these forums and my "hobbies" and you know what... bring it on!!  I appreciate everything I find.  And I appreciate the friendships that are made on these sites.  It's nice when you meet people in person for the first time and there ISN'T the 30 second "oh crap" moment and not knowing what to do.

That and I received some of the bluntest and best advice ever on this forum, and it had nothing to do with CAS.

Ok, hold on a sec...
the flak I'm talking about is actually from the home front that LT and I have been talking about.  Sorry about that, on here, I haven't been treated with anything but the utmost respect.  Even when I try to nudge you guys out there with an intro post that included "foo foo cawwffeee! bleh!"  LOL  Nah, I get the ribbin and the joking. 

Pretty much I broke up with my girlfriend of six years, and you know the relationship was bad when you're relieved that it's over.  Part of it was because of me and my "hobbies."  Including this.  Well, you guys are nicer, and make me laugh... so that was a no brainer!

Just wanted to clarify my previous post.  Sorry about that.

And I really do mean it about the best and bluntest advice I've ever been given.  You guys know who gave me that advice and both of you, I really appreciate it.  On Monday I'm one step closer to my dream, there's an internship opportunity with the US Marshall's via Northern Arizona University... and I never would have taken that leap without your guys' help.

Thanks *input Cowboy smiley tipping his hat here*
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »
Willie, This business is hard on relationships. Most folks wind up with a couple of ex's if they stay in it for a while.  Some of us like Arcey and myself were lucky enough to find a great lady. He's been married 37 years and I've been married 35.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
I'm rootin fer ya Willie.
     I got snatched up by a 22 year old when I was 17.  No common interests, nothin ta talk about once she felt comfortable enough ta drop her facade of sharing my tastes.  I thought I was just doing what a guy was supposed ta do.  Got married, had kids (I don't regret that part at all) and busted my butt ta keep us all afloat.  Took 13 years of ma life ta figgure it out...there are people out there that actualy enjoy eachothers company.  Like doing the same stuff, listening ta the same music, eating the same foods and, most of all, have the same sense of humor--that's a big one.  And in the times that things don't quite mesh (cause it's always gonna happen), the tolerance to accept things aint always gonna be perfect cause the rest of it is worth it.  In the end, if you aint happy, no one around you will be.  You got big things comin yer way an I wish you the best.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:31:33 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »
Leo, I gotta a cousin that is my age that got married when he was 15, his son was born when he was 16. As far as I know, he's still married to her. He owns a Pharmacy in Colorado.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
I've heard a them highschool sweetheart stories bafore.  They are few an far between, but it's nice ta see kids hit it right the first go round.  Kinda gives ya hope that we don't all have ta screw up ta learn. ::)

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
I've heard a them highschool sweetheart stories bafore.  They are few an far between, but it's nice ta see kids hit it right the first go round.  Kinda gives ya hope that we don't all have ta screw up ta learn. ::)

LMAO!!

yeah... hopefully lucky number three will be okay.  But it'll be awhile before any girl gets the title of Girlfriend from me again.  We had a ton of shared interests... it's just the ones that weren't shared.  It was a "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine" kind of thing.  That and she would never let me have my things, like football, or NHRA, or NASCAR, or any of that.  If she liked it cool, if she didn't... bad.  It took me losing my temper at her and calling her lazy that finally let the cat out of the bag about me and my "hobbies."  I'm sorry, my girl, the El Camino, she's been mine for 8 years and counting, she has seniority over any girl, except my Sis who wants a 69 Corvette! (I raised her proper)

Nah, it's all good and I know the stats about girls and their hubbies being cops... so it's simple, I won't even think about a long term relationship until and IF I have that badge.  That way, it's all on me now.  Not me giving it up for someone else, like I almost did.  Thanks Tex, Leo.  You saved me big time.  She's out there, looking for her strong, silent, country Lawdog type.  And I'll be just that man.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
These forums are here for us to be ourselves. 

I hope that isn't true or a lot of us would be committed out of hand.  On the other hand, it might make us proof against identity theft.  After all, who would want to be one of us?  ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
I hope that isn't true or a lot of us would be committed out of hand.  On the other hand, it might make us proof against identity theft.  After all, who would want to be one of us?  ::)

That's a damn good point :D

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
Is this like deer camp, the new guy has to split the firewood and has to sit on the side of the fire that the smoke is driftin' to. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 06:16:11 PM »
LOL
That would be me, all quiet and hiding in person.  Until I got brave enough to bring out my Harmonica, Guitar or Pennywhistle.  Depending on the event of course!  That's usually the way I melt the ice, I just play quietly until someone joins in!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »

Speak for yourself, bro. ;D ;D

Is this like deer camp, the new guy has to split the firewood and has to sit on the side of the fire that the smoke is driftin' to. ;D

I guess that's by me as the smoke just follows me everywhere I move. :D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »
Speak for yourself, bro. ;D ;D

Willie
Like Trinity says.  Just get up and stand behind anyone that’s been pickin’ on ya, then move on to the next one!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »

Well after Charles joined our group it's easy, we just sit the new guy over by Charles, cause that is where the smoke goes. ;D

BTW how do you and skunks get along, Charles has problems with them, one kept him in his deer stand one time for most of an hour, lucky the deer he shot didn't go far. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
I get along with them fine... as long as they don't become agitated. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
I get along with them fine... as long as they don't become agitated. ;D

The one by the deer stand was stamping it's feet. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
OK, got a bit more time, the really funny one happened when I wasn't their, Achery season, snow on the ground, little brother was coming back to the house, right at dark.  Charles was already in, and headed back out, Ruger Mark II in hand.  As they passed Charles said "Skunk out behind the barn."

Dale went in, then thought, 22 LR out of a pistol, not real powerfull and Charles is not that good. ::)  He grabbed the 870 and some heavy #4's.  As he got out the door he hears that feeble pop.  Charles met him between the house and the barn.  "How good are you at tracking" he asked. :o  Lucky it did not spray, tracks and blood lead into a pile of old boards.  They decided to wait till morning.  In the morning the tracks did not lead back out, next summer when we moved the boards there were bones and black and white fur under them. ::)

Why in the heck it never sprayed is beyond me, any skunk I shot sprayed if you did not cut the spine, the reason I like a high powered rifle from at least a 100 yards off or a heavy shotgun load right in te head if I have to do close work.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »
Gotta be careful with them pole cats.  Too big a gun an you'll shoot the stink sack wide open :-X

Roland Deschain

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
when we first moved up here to the farm we had an awful skunk problem, they just seemed to be everywhere, so I'd get on my 4 wheeler along about 10 o'clock at night and go lookin for em,  I've got a little S&W  22  auto pistol with a little laser on it,  worked slick for skunks,  I'd get em started running out and away from the barns, pull up behind em and slam on the brakes, put the red dot on the back of his head and pop.  I bet I killed a pickup load of em, never saw so many in my life. after 2 or 3 years of doing this, they thinned out,  for the last 6 or 7 years, I might see 1 or 2 a year, I just about cleared em out.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 03:16:42 AM »
Gotta be careful with them pole cats.  Too big a gun an you'll shoot the stink sack wide open :-X

LMAO!!

see, I need a 22LR lever action rifle when I get my place.  I love the country areas.  Nice, quiet, serene, and peaceful...
until that raccoon arrives.  Every time I go camping, every time I'm in a cabin, every time I'm even remotely in the woods, even in my own Dorm!!!  Them Coons show up!!

oh, and I'd sit next to T any day.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »
A few years ago, The Moose and I were on vacation in Jackson Hole.  We were staying in these log cabins between town and the airport. The Moose wakes up and decides she wants something to read. She goes outside and retrieves her book from the rental car.  The next morning, she meets the mgr walking around outside. The mgr. asks the Moose if she had heard any noise that night. Moose said that she hadn't and the lady told that a bear had been roaming around the cabins that night looking for food. Moose didn't go out at night anymore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com