Author Topic: Winchester 1892 rear sight question.  (Read 9117 times)

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1892 rear sight question.
« on: April 05, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
I traded into a well used 1892 rifle made in 1905 and keep unraveling new mysteries.   The rear sight just don't look right.  My best guess it's from an old Remington of the 50s.

It's marked Marbles Gladstone Mish U.S.A.

Anyone seen anything like this on a Winchester?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Winchester 1892 rear sight question.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »

Yes.  But only when the original sight was somehow lost or damaged or someone in the rifle's history didn't like the original.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »
Yes.  But only when the original sight was somehow lost or damaged or someone in the rifle's history didn't like the original.

I see I'm going to have chosen my words more careful.    As in.

"Was this sight ever installed by Winchester on an 1892 produced in 1905?"

I have a sight that came off'n an old Winchester Low Wall.  I'm sure it's a Winchester issue but no idea if its date or if it would be the same as originally on my 1892.  But it looks "more better".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:52:03 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »
 How does it shoot w/ that  sight,, that's on it ??

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix .

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:18:03 PM »
How does it shoot w/ that  sight,, that's on it ??

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix .

The front sight needs to be taller.  It tends to shoot a couple of inches high at 25 steps with elevator in lowest setting.   

But at this point, I'm not worried about that.  I'm trying to make it as correct as reasonably possible.   If it's the wrong sight and I can put a right sight on it, I'll be happier.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 12:54:30 AM »
The front sight needs to be taller.  It tends to shoot a couple of inches high at 25 steps with elevator in lowest setting.   

But at this point, I'm not worried about that.  I'm trying to make it as correct as reasonably possible.   If it's the wrong sight and I can put a right sight on it, I'll be happier.

I have one of those (marbles backsight) on a 92 but it came off a 22rf that I wrecked a while back (cant say what make it was)
Your Low Wall sight looks correct to me for a 92 rifle - but remember Winchester had an extensive catalog and you could just about order anything on anything those days.
Front sight ? if its a genuwine Winchester with like a german silver blade you can replace the blade on them quite easy - just mount the old one up and drift punch the old blade out, file a new one to shape from a piece of an old forkhandle, tap it into place - the W base has a nice little taper on it to hold the insert in place ... looks like an impossible job at the start but the couple I have done have been deceptively easy.
have fun with it all.
Greyhawk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
Ah well, OK be like that.  The Marbles sight doesn't look "right."  Compared to the rest of the rifle, it looks "new."  Option number one, if the existing front sight is dovetailed in, is drift it out and install a taller Marbles bede front sight and make it wrong on Bothe ends   ::) ;D

However, that "other" sight just looks right.  Be me, I'd clean the little bit of rust off, polish up the bottom of the elevator and swap it out for the Marbles.  The barrel already shows where some ham hock already ding'd the barrel changing to the marbles and also apparently, missed with the hammer and ding'd the wood as well.  I really like the Lo Wall sight.

Navy 42 ..... We're a Light House ... Your Call   ;)

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:46:06 AM »
Here is the front sight.

Update.  A search on eBay shows several Lyman / Winchester half moon front sights that look like this one. They want a LOT for them.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »
Well Humpff!!!

My WAG (Military Acronym for Wild Ass Guess) is ....... When the barrel work was done, whom ever did it also elected to change out the sights at the same time or shortly thereafter.  So ..... Both ends are already "wrong."  Would appear, in the interest of appearing as close to "authentic" as possible, searching out a correct front sight is also going to be necessary.  Hopefully it will be tall enough at the same time.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »
I have what I know is a Winchester rear sight I'll likely put on.  Likely the front sight was Winchester #21.  Unless I find one on the cheep somewhere,  it's going to be a costly item.  For Cowboy Action Shooting,  I'd rather have a larger ivory bead sight.

Yesterday I suffered the cold weather and shot at a pizza box at 25 steps. BlackMZ loads with 100 gr coated bullets.   Considering my eyes, these antiquated sights, and cold, I'm not too discouraged.  Close enough for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
I am the very proud owner of an 1892 that has been in my family for about 100 years now.  It is original and the rear sight looks nothing like the picture you have posted.  Wish I could offer more than just saying that the sight you have is not original to the gun.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »
I did some dent repair work on my Winchester yesterday.

So I swapped out the back sight.  Looks better, Ay!

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »
Looks good.

Chance

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
ABSOLUTELY!! (Stolen famous movie line)  ;D   Both efforts have really improved the look of your '92.  Good possibility the rear sight change may also improve the POI.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 11:16:31 AM »
Here is a YouTube video where I describe the process I used to clean up the field of ugly dents.  I'm no challenge to Turnbull but my efforts were free and not difficult.

Before:

After

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com