Author Topic: Bullet design  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Bullet design
« on: March 29, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
Mornin. Wantin to order a mold from Accurate. The bullet will be used in my Rossi 92 and Uberti saa.
They are 44-40 caliber. Will be shooting black powder and smokeless. Having a real hard time deciding between the 43-210B (Fairshake design), and the 43-220C (John Kort design).
Any preferences, and why.
Thanks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Bullet design
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
None of the Above.  
My preference would be for the mini MAV 180 or the MAV 200 Big Lubes.  Both carry a butt load of lube for BP in a rifle.  Won't Make any difference in a hand gun.

The 43-210B does not have a Crimp Groove.  Bad joss for a tube magazine rifle.   The 43-220C has a Crimp Groove.  I just don't like it.  I have a personal preference for Big Lubes.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
I have limited experience with Fairshake's design, having only shot a handful of bullets that Jack Kort sent me to try out.  I have not tried the 43-220C design, but I HAVE used Jack's 43-215C with the large lube groove and the crimp groove.  I purchased the mold after communicating with Jack about various issues.  Some of those had to do with telescoping bullets when loading smokeless in my rifles.  I had been using Lyman's 427098, which does not have a crimp groove.  I tried a number of methods to prevent smokeless bullets from being pushed back into the cases, but with limited success.  When I switched to the 43-215C (and stay on top of case length) I have had near perfect results.  I know that others have been able to make bullets without crimp grooves work for smokeless loads, but it was a great frustration to me.  I liked that bullet design enough that I incorporated some aspects (large lube groove and "hidden" crimp groove while maintaining the original nose profile) into molds for the 45 S&W and 56-50 Spencer with equally great results.

There.  Perhaps slightly more experience with these bullets than Coffinmaker, but not much more to add.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:54:41 AM »

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
Holsterguy, what are you using the bullets for? Just Cowboy shoots? If so, its not critical as long as the bullet has a crimp groove for your smokeless rounds. But you mentioned you would also load blackpowder rounds. I went through this awhile back and finally settled on the 43-215C. I picked that bullet as it had the most lube carrying capacity(I only shoot blackpowder) of those Accurate molds mentioned. Some time back--I think in Darksiders Den--Kort did extensive testing on that bullet at 300 yards. His results showed that 43-215C :
1. was very accurate even at 300 yds with blackpowder
2.carried sufficient lube for extensive shooting
Since this bullet design also has a crimp groove for your smokeless rounds, it seems to have all the bases covered. I'm not trying to push anything in particular, and since I'm reporting these results from memory, it might be helpful to search out his article before you make a decision. Good Luck.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
Mornin. Wantin to order a mold from Accurate. The bullet will be used in my Rossi 92 and Uberti saa.
They are 44-40 caliber. Will be shooting black powder and smokeless. Having a real hard time deciding between the 43-210B (Fairshake design), and the 43-220C (John Kort design).
Any preferences, and why.
Thanks

Its a one horse race! the 210b has no crimp groove - need a crimp groove for smokeless loads - but I go with navy six and CCGriff - like the 215c - got both ends covered - good crimp groove for ya smokeyless and plenty lube for the good powder (black) 

We bin shootin RCBS Cowboy designs for 38/40 an 44/40 - different nose design but crimp groove and good lube groove - both good boolits too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com