Author Topic: Small Reloading Bench  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Small Reloading Bench
« on: September 06, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
Our new Condo in Florida does not have the space we had back in Wisconsin so I had to downsize on my reloading area. I picked up a tool stand from Harbor Freight for under 30 bucks. I've mounted my LEE Classic Turret press to this bench via a LEE mounting plate system. I can quickly change between the LEE Turret Press and my MEC Shotgun press. This bench is remarkably sturdy and easy to move around.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Small Reloading Bench
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
Nice!  My brother has an old B&D Workmate from back when they were well made.  I may do something similar with that.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
When we were relocated to a fema trailer I used my c press bolted to a grinder stand that I found in a habitat store, just a piece of 1 in pipe welded to a round steel plate, i slid a couple of barbell weights down the pipe to make it sturdier. Did all right for pistol ammo but would not have been solid enough for full sized rifle reloading. Needed to make some ammo for a match. I love my 10?x10? reloading room.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:09:37 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
simple and elegant ?.  I like the Lee turret . It was you and Dakota Ike that recommended it to me...glad I listened

100 busks well spent
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
Nice bench Johnny
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
Many thanks for the kind words.

I started reloading .38 Special this morning. This setup works like a charm. I'm amazed at how sturdy this tool stand is. There is absolutely no wobble or shake when you pull the lever. I'm not sure how this will work on my Dillon 550.

On another note, I spent a good hour trying to figure out why my primer dispenser would not work. Well you can't put large pistol primers into a small pistol primer dispenser. Guess I'll have to remember to read the label on the box again.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
very interesting thank you. i am moving into a new shop and this might be the answer to building a big bench.
A not very expensive thing to try.
Bunk

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:43 PM »
While I also started small, some shelving and a cut down narrow table mounted to the back wall of my wife's walk in pantry, my reloading eventually evolved into a 10x12 room [after our Irene rebuild] and a bench that runs the whole length of one wall. This is a hobby that tends to expand and fill and then overflow whatever space that you start with. If you?ve got a shop but don?t want a full grown reloading bench cluttering up things check out the reloading areas built into a 2?x4?x8? cabinet with double doors. Plenty of storage above and below a 4 ft wide ?bench?, the doors can have shallow shelving, power outlets and lighting can be installed and either hard wired or use a drop cord, it can even have a dehumidifier and the doors can be closed and locked. Good luck on your bench and your reloading.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
Attached is a picture of my reloading area back in Wisconsin. My powder, bullets and misc. items were stored on shelves. I used to reload in a spare bedroom then moved to my garage. When I think about it now, mounting each press on a separate tool stand would have worked OK.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
Nice setup Johnny.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com